Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our recently adopted 8 month old cat, Emma, is recovering from a cold and poor appetite. Alas, she seems to have developed a new issue - trouble jumping.

She likes to jump on the kitchen counter to watch water running into the sink. On at least 80% of her jumps today, she's failed the first time or two she tried, not able to make it to the counter and falling back. This has happened many times. She's also had similar issues with other jumps.

She's not having any trouble running around, sometimes at high speeds. She does a great job chasing her toy mice.

She's taking clavamox, mirtazapine and l-lysine for her cold and appetite. Thanks to those, and laurief's advice to put her in a steamy bathroom, her cold is subsiding and her appetite is much better.

I don't want to make too much of what could be random occurrences, but I've never had a cat this young have so much trouble jumping.

Does it sound as if I'm being overly concerned? Anything I should be doing?

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
Maybe because of her cold, it's an inner ear problem affecting her balance?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would wait until she is done with her meds before becoming overly concerned. Like Marie said, she is getting over her illness.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
It may be the mirtazapine. According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, " ... mirtazapine may impair concentration and alertness." Also, " ... reported side effects in animals include drowsiness/sedation ... "

Any or all of the above may account for Emma's clumsy jumping efforts.

Laurie

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sometimes cat can just be clumsy... if you aren't noticing any visible lameness (limping, favoring a limb) I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like she's feeling fine since she's running and playing. We have a cat at the clinic I work at that misses MOST of the jumps he tries to make. Causing avalanches wherever he goes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like being told not to worry. :D

It may be the mirtazapine. According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, " ... mirtazapine may impair concentration and alertness." Also, " ... reported side effects in animals include drowsiness/sedation ... "
From online sources, I'd seen drowsiness (and hyperactivity), but not impair concentration. I'm torn between giving her one more dose or just playing it by ear.

Now if I could just get her to stop trying to eat our spath plant and transition her off dry food and ...

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
Spath plant? Isn't that a lily? They're poisonous to cats!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Spath plant? Isn't that a lily? They're poisonous to cats!!
From everything I've read they're mildly toxic at worst. Chewing or ingesting can result in irritation of the mouth and throat. Drooling and vomiting may also occur. I haven't seen any symptoms. Prior cats have also played with this plant without any noticeable effects.

It's not really a lily, even if it's called a peace lily. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spathiphyllum

She just uprooted some succulents that have surviving two other cats. Prior destruction was limited :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can almost guarantee you it's the mirtazapine as I went through this exact situation only a couple of months ago. It's amazing how clueless vets can be about this medication's side effects. I took my kitty to two vets including the one that originally prescribed it because on top of being sick from a virus that seemed to never go away, she had trouble walking and couldn't jump without falling over. I was sure she had a brain tumor or something. Soon as she was done with the mirtazapine, the symptoms went away. I will never give it to her again. I researched mirtazapine, I wrote a professor of vet medicine who conducted a study on it and told her what was going on and she confirmed it. She also was surprised the vets I'd seen didn't put two and two together.

When the mirtazapine is out of her system (should only take about two days) and your kitty is over her illness, her jumping skills should return.

Have you tried turkey or chicken baby food (the straight meat +broth, no other ingredients)? This warmed up in the microwave really helped get my kitty over the worst of her lack of appetite.

Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I discussed with the vet the possibility of mirtazipine affecting Emma's jumping, she volunteered to look up side effects.

Emma hasn't had trouble jumping since 4-5 days after her only dose of mirtazipine. The issue only lasted a day or two. She's still sneezing a bit, suggesting the issue was more mirtazapine than congestion causing balance problems.

Baby food (bought for a prior cat) was on the list, but today she ate a 5.5 oz can of Weruva chicken.

thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's actually chicken & liver, as the pet store didn't have just chicken, but she eats around the liver.

Now if she'd just stop sneezing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's actually chicken & liver, as the pet store didn't have just chicken, but she eats around the liver.

Now if she'd just stop sneezing.
Mine does the same thing when I buy the chicken and liver. It seems like she can't decide if she likes it (liver) or not. Sometimes she'll eat it, but other times I see her spitting out even the tiniest piece. Since she can't decide and it's so expensive, I'm probably not going to buy it again. I hate to see any of the Weruva go to waste. Duck and chicken and "chicken soup" are also hits with her, though with the soup the veggies are always last to be eaten and usually several hours later when it seems she's sure no better options are coming her way.

I hope your kitty gets over her sneezing soon. We've dealt with that too and it seemed she'd never get over it, but she did. Your kitty's finding her appetite again though and that's a very good sign she's on the mend!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weruva has chicken in gravy, which seems to be the same as chicken and liver, but without the liver.

Emma eats Evo 95%, but not as eagerly. She'll eat dry, but I'm stopping that.

Yesterday she wasn't sneezing very much. She just did a bunch of sneezes in a row. I'm hoping this is just a normal adoption center cold. At least I have a good supply of l-lysine and she's not showing any other symptoms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts