Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Fat Albert is not loosing weight just gaining it. He was fed the same as my other cats and they are all in good weight. he never had this problem before but I've noticed in the last few months he is gaining weight. At first I thought it was his fur but it isn't. He gets plenty of exercise. I have lots of toys for them and he plays with them. I also have a ferret he plays with plus the other 3 cats. I did take his food down a bit and he doesn't get treats anymore but it doesn't look like he is loosing weight. Should I just give it more time and see what happens? he did have a vet appointment a few weeks ago and they didnt find anything medically wrong with him except being over-weight.

here is the best pic I could get of him

ANd just because he is so handsome

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am a firm believer in karma with regard to names. A friend used Flirt as her Golden's call name - and at most agility events, she diverts course and flirts with the judges. <sigh> So Fat Albert doesn't stand a chance. ;)

Get a baby scale and weigh every other day. Your eyes can be deceiving.
Stop free feeding if you are, it's too hard to monitor his intake.
It is easier to lose weight with a high protein food, so wet works better. The goal is a small loss each month, such as 5%, since they are so small.
Depending on your cat's activity level, the food requirements are 15-25 cal/pound of weight/day. So a 10 lb cat that is moderately active probably needs 200 calories a day.
For weight-loss, take the current weight and activity level calorie calculations and reduce the amount slightly. The scale will tell you if you are decreasing too fast.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
At the vet appt., did they do a blood test to check his thyroid level? If not, I would have that done.

If you're feeding him dry kibble that will usually put weight on. Any good quality no-grain (no corn, wheat, rice, barley, soy) canned food is better to feed than dry kibble.
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health Reduce quantity of food very very gradually each meal (2meals/day) and no free-freeding of food left to snack on will gradually loose excess weight. Ideal weight is when you can feel the ribs (while he stands) with a thin layer of fat over them and be able to see a slight indentation of a waist from above. Good luck! and he is a handsome boy!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No,they didn't do a thyroid check. I will have to wait till next month to make an appointment though. NO free feeding in this house for any animals except the ferret. I usually feed in the morning and then again in the evening. What is a good kind of canned food? I will be going to petsmart next weekend so I can get some so I can slowly transition him into his new food from his old food(it is dry kibble). when I feel him(under fur) I can not feel his ribs just fat. he is pretty active but like most cats likes his cat naps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you're going to Petsmart, you can get Blue Wilderness canned (comes in 5.5 ounce cans now!), Blue Freedom canned, Wellness Core and their various grain-free flavors. Also I think Simply Nourish canned is grain-free also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts