Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True or False?

Is it better or healthier for a cat to eat from a raised surface (ie. placing their dishes on a small table so they don't have to crouch). I heard this and thought it made sense at first. But then realized they are born to eat out in the wild without little tables and napkins available.

Anyone know about this rumor and where it came from? Is it true? and how?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
true or false

False. The rumor comes from dogs (naturally!). Dogs who develop megaesophagus (from many causes) have to eat from a raised surface, or they will regurgitate what they've eaten because it won't get into the stomach without a boost from gravity.

There's no reason to use a raised surface for cats.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Thanks for the insight of that DrJean! I was wondering the same thing, although I may still get a raised feeder because they have one that I saw with the stainless steel type of bowls. :D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sort of off-topic, but I'm kind of proud...

I just bought Sabby the cutest ceramic dish. It's blue and has stylized cats attempting to catch fish. I bought the matching placemat too. :) It's got a large picture of the stylized cat catching a fish and little fishes all around the border. I was tempted to buy a matching water dish, but I can't justify it because I already have a nice water dish for him.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have to say differently. For some cats, eating from a raised surface has been a wonderful help for them. It even works well for one of mine.

I also feed from stainless steal plates and have never been happier with the results. Cats can get a static shock from many things just like humans can.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Is plastic the only thing that grows bacteria really fast and not wash out so easily? I've heard that ceramic and stainless steel don't gather as much and washes bacteria out much better...... <<))

·
Registered
676 Posts
The main problem is that plastic is much more porous then ceramic or stainless steel, that's where the problem is, even if you do clean their bowls, there is still a higher chance at a problem.
Which brings me to another point, making sure you clean and disinfected ther dishes after each meal is very important, and can help prevent against the common acne problem in cats.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
AngelZoo said:
I have to say differently. For some cats, eating from a raised surface has been a wonderful help for them. It even works well for one of mine.

I also feed from stainless steal plates and have never been happier with the results. Cats can get a static shock from many things just like humans can.
Static electricity happens, yes. But stainless steel *holds* electric charge. That is one place you do not want your cat getting a shock. Ceramic bowls cannot hold static electricity. Who knows -- certain cats might never get a shock from a stainless steel bowl in their lives. But they *could.* That's the only difference.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use stainless steel bowls because I have cats that like to push thier dishes around, and a dog that will pick them up if the cats push them out of the bathroom where I keep the cats' food(the dog knows better then to go in the bathroom, she's been taught it's off limits), so I got tired of replacing the expensive ceramic dishes and went back to stainless steel.

·
Registered
866 Posts
:shock:

I've always feed Moby out of stainless steel dishes. :(

He doesn't seem scared of it or anything. But I'll look for a ceramic one anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fascinating/helpful reviews of the plastic vs. ceramic vs. metal. I originally heard that ceramic was good so Jasper has some pretty ceramic bowls that work out well for him. (and match my kitchen as well...)

Just out of curiosity I think I'll put out his favorite food (any wet seafood brand) in two bowls: one on the floor and one raised near the same eating area. I'll wait and see which bowl he goes to first. Although, I'm sure if I leave it long enough I'm sure both bowls will eventually be empty =_

·
Registered
676 Posts
I really have not had a problem with the metal bowls, nor have I heard of anyone whom has.

Do either of you have any further information on this?
A concern of mine with ceramic is if it chips or cracks.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Ceramic is breakable -- yes. But how much stress does your bowl go through while your cat eats out of it and you clean it? It can break just like any of your dishes or glasses, but it's more than sturdy enough for what your cat is using it for. As for the stainless steel -- I don't really have any specific information about it. The reason for it being able to hold an electric charge as opposed to ceramic is just science. And like I said before -- your cat and millions of cats might never get a single shock from it. But they *could* and that's really the only difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts