Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suffer from serious insomnia so any sleep I get is a major gift. 2 am this morning my cat is charging around the apartment sounding remarkably like an elephant. I have people who live below me so I *try* to keep him quiet between 10pm and 7am (apartment complex quiet time).

I locked him in the spare bedroom(where his litter box and favorite non human bed are). THat worked for about 30 minutes until he started trashing the room and banging on the door to be let out. I let him out before he did permanent damage to something.

He behaved for a little while and then started charging around the apartment again, playing with toys and bouncing on and off the furniture. I locked him in my room with me thinking at least I could hush him when he acted up. NOT. Instead he spent 45 minutes racing back and forth across the bed (of course with me IN it).

6:45 and he's STILL running around the apartment like a freaking nut case. How on earth do you unwind one of these things? I'm fully expecting a complaint made to the apartment complex about the noise from last night. Normally I just have to threaten him with the water bottle and he settles down quietly but this time it just isn't going to happen.

Oh, and of course just as I'm at the end of my rope and ready to gladly STRANGLE him I turn around and he's rolling around on the bed trilling at me and I wind up cracking up...until I reach over to pet him and he leaps across the room, banks off the wall and races down the hallway yowling.... ARGH!!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Okay. Although that wasn't supposed to be funny, I cracked up pretty bad at your description. It sounds like Miu. She's also a nut case and I also have problems calming her down. Actually, I haven't found out how to. She just eventually runs out of steam....and I thought she was psycho.

I also suffer from insomnia and I get that sort of thing too. Cept I got Miu making a nuisance of herself while Rocky the dog chases after her growling or air snapping. Then I got Cap'n Jack by himself in another corner of the room saying 'Mom, I'm hungry, Mom, I'm hungry' over and over again til he's fed. Today he started at 5:30am.

Okay..I just thought of something. Do you play with him and totally tire him out during the day/evening? I figure if you interactively play with him that'll take out the energy and he'll be tired enough to nap/sleep afterwards instead of tearing around.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Ditto on the insomnia. There are a lot of us out there.

I don't have the heart to keep Murphy out of my bedroom at night, so I agree, I've lost a lot of precious sleep because of his antics. Even having to worry about where I'm putting my feet at the end of the bed is enough to keep me awake.

Have you tried Benadryl? Take 3 of them at night and see how it works. :) That's pretty much the only reason I'm here today at all.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm ok now. Saturday was my last day of unemployment and I had to call today to find out if they are extending my benefits. If they weren't I'd be packing up my apartment and heading back across the country next week. I was *really* stressed out.

I called and I'm here until April :) and now, I'm laughing at MowMow's antics. Right after I posted that he came in here and curled up on my pillow and went to sleep.....

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Glad to hear your work continues.

I agree with Alpaca about tiring him out before you got to bed. Does he retrieve? some cats do and will bring back a mousie or paper ball over and over again. An interactive toy like "Da Bird" is good, or make your own with a stick, string, a bunch of feathers tied on the end or strips of material. If you're free feeding with food left down all the time, switch to definite meal times. If he's a kitten, under 8 mos., he needs 3 meals a day, only 2 if he's over that age, plus a late afternoon snack (a few treats). Feed his last meal just before you go to bed. Hope some of these suggestions work for you. You need your sleep!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
It was a full moon last night.. things were a little noisey around here also..

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'd think he'd be getting more sedate, he's going to be seven this year. I figured I'd have avoided all this busy playing when I adopted an older cat and not a kitten but man...

He actually plays for most of the day. He's not snoozing and then suddenly awake at night. He's playing and racing around almost *all* day and I don't mind it one bit. It's very entertaining.

I did learn that I can NOT feed him right before bed. After he eats he uses the box and then it's boodgekitty time. That means racing around the apartment and yowling for me to chase him. Normally when evening comes he settles down on my bed and sleeps. It's very rare he acts the way he did last night and as i said usually threatening him with the squirt bottle generally settles him down.

Perhaps it was just the full moon last night.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Oh! That was a FUNNY read!

...and then there was THIS:

Right after I posted that he came in here and curled up on my pillow and went to sleep.....
AND YOU DIDN'T POKE HIM *AWAKE*!!!!!!!!!! :wink:p

Next time he gets to racing around and you need/want him to stop ... bring out the vacuum cleaner. Just park it in the middle of his run-path. If he won't stop, plug it in and turn it on just enough to cycle up and then turn it off.
If he's like most of my kitties, he'll dive under the couch and be vewy, vewy qwiet. :cool

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heidi, I did think about the vacuum (I had read that on here before) but that would be even MORE noisy to the people downstairs. HOnestly if I wasn't in an apartment but in a house where it was just me I wouldn't care. Our complex is *VERY* strict about noise though. You only get one warning here.

I didn't poke him awake but I did keep jingling the lazer pointer. That jolts him awake every time :p

I'm laughing at his antics now, the only reason he didn't settle was because I was stressed and didn't handle it properly. If I just locked him in here with me and laid down he would have curled up with me and fallen asleep (then I could make my escape and do whatever).

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
If I had neighbors, I would have been evicted the weekend I adopted the twins. They sound like a herd of elephants running through the house!

I feel your pain, though, I'm lucky to get 4-1/2 hours of sleep a night. I usually drop off around 2 - 2:30 a.m. and get up 6:30 a.m. Lately, I won't even let Cleo in my room at night, because she just looks around, sees that Gigi is in her spot on the pillow, then wants back out, usually right when I'm finally about to fall asleep. :(

I hope your neighbors don't make a complaint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lol I'd probably get vindictive and constantly poke n prod him just to make myself feel like I got even. I had a roommate whose 2 lady cats were VERY affectionate, and they were cute and all until I was trying to sleep and they were constantly on top of me- one rolling in my hair and one on my neck right under my chin so of course I couldn't breathe. So one night I grabbed them up in a hug and curled myself over them so they could feel what it was like lol. Didn't work, but I got about 20 min peace after I let them escape lol. OMG and the YOWLING!!! The one female wasn't fixed yet at the time (adult cat, got out a few times and had a few litters) and would yell to the strays through the window. When Irv entered the picture she briefly preoccupied.. but he'd stand over her and was clueless as to what to do next LOL. Eventually he couldn't even stand her advances and when she wasn't barking up his tree, she was back at the window. Of course, she got fixed after I moved out... lol.
I love my Irving :) He respects personal space and bed time lol

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'm not an insomniac, but I am a very light sleeper, so my sleep is usually broken throughout the night anyways. Then I thought, "I want a kitty!". I'm not that smart sometimes, lol!

Samantha. For the first two weeks after we adopted her, she would wander slowly around the apartment and cry at night. Loudly. Like she has her normal "meow" at a normal volume...and then she has her "MEOW" which sounds like she's got a megaphone in front of her face. All night..."MEOW. MEEEOW. MEEEOOW." I can't believe we didn't get in trouble for a noise complaint...our apartment walls are thin, thin, thin, and we can hear normal conversations from our neighbors if we stand in our bathroom, so I can guarantee they heard Sammy. Eventually (being the slow human that I am), I realized she was crying because she couldn't find me...we kept the bedroom door closed at first because of my boyfriend's allergies. As soon as we let the door be open at night, she was satisfied tucking me into bed and then wandering off into the apartment...but my boyfriend would tell me every morning that Samantha kept going into the bedroom to check on me throughout the night. She still does this, when she isn't sleeping in bed with me. Yes she is very attached to me...I think it's sweet. :p

Now that we have three cats that we let in our room at night, things are actually not too bad considering. There will be the occasional romp across the bed, or scuffle on the floor. Sometimes Rochelle wakes me up because she's kneading my arm or side, but I can't be upset over that obviously. :love2 They do still wake me up at ungodly hours though. Samantha starts at about 5:30 am, and eventually the other two join in...they get fed at 8...*grumblegrumble*

·
Registered
412 Posts
Apple is totally a nutcase at night and then she gets Pedro riled up and he's like a herd of buffalo when he runs. I'm a super light sleeper so if I let them run all night I would never get any sleep at all. Plus Apple isn't safe to have the run of the apartment unsupervised since she prowls looking for mischief! They have a bathroom where they go for bedtime. It's got a nice bed, some quiet (softie) toys, one of their litter boxes and their food/water dishes. The floor in there is heated so it's also nice and cozy at night. It's small enough that they can't crash around to make too much noise, but big enough that they have some space to move around and be separate. If they'd been younger when I got them they would have been crate trained for night-time sleeping and I may still do it yet.

Zoe I had crate trained at night for the first 2 years I had her - in a crate next to the head of my bed and often with my hand within reach of her. I started partly because I wanted to train her to human hours, partly because I wanted her to travel easily (which she did! she was a pro whether car, bus or plane), and partly for her safety since she was so sick & tiny when I got her. After that she pretty much spent her life sleeping appropriate human hours. When she got out of schedule (usually because of a change in my schedule or a move or travel) she would sometimes act up at night for a few days. When I had enough and my sanity couldn't take anymore she was kept up most of the day so that she'd HAVE to sleep at night. Zoe LOVED her crate, btw. It was her safe place & her snuggly place. If she was misbehaving I could tell her to go to her crate and off she'd go for a time out. If I told her we were going in the car she'd go grab her ducky stuffy and/or blanket to drag to her crate.

As for early morning antics Zoe knew that food doesn't come until Mommy is up and showered and sometimes even after I had breakfast. Pedro & Apple get fed when I let them out of their bedtime bathroom and again when I get home from work, but not until I'm out of my work clothes, I've got supper started. It's usually right around the same time, but I refuse to have them freaking out as soon as I get in the door to eat. I've had them about 3.5 months now and they seem to be adjusting well to that schedule!

ETA: Um wow that was long lol sorry!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts