Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the end of June we went in and picked up two 3 month old female siblings from our local shelter to foster-to-adopt. They had previously been in foster care and not at the shelter. The agreement was that the adoption would be final once they were spayed in about three weeks. Within the hour that we brought them home we noticed that they had some diarrhea. We gave it about a week to see if it would settle as it could have been just the adjusting to a new home. However, after a week I let the shelter know that I thought they had some kind of infection and needed to see a vet. They tried saying it was food but made the vet appointment anyways. We picked the kittens up from the vet with a prescription for albon suspension. We have been giving that to them for over a week now and at first there was improvement. The frequency was less, the smell was gone, and the stool was more solid but not totally. Yesterday they both relapsed into the totally liquid diarrhea with blood in the stool. Over this entire time I have emailed and called the shelter trying to get the information regarding what the vet found out, but they will not answer me. They keep saying they don't know anything. So we cannot deal with the vet directly as we do not own the animals. We cannot adopt them because they will not get them spayed when they are sick. We cannot get them better. I am pretty sure that these kittens were sick for quite a while with the previous foster care providers and that they were kept in a barn or shed and issue was ignored. They smelled like hay the first couple times we bathed them. And there is no way if they are in the house you don't notice the diarrhea. Otherwise they are behaving normally, but this is very frustrating. I am not sure we will be able to adopt them if this cannot be resolved and it is clear they have no intention of resolving it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No, they have a parasite infection. Both the vet and the shelter have agreed on this, however trying to get it sorted is just a cluster. I am giving them wet as well as dry as they have had the diarrhea for so long. I cannot take them to the vet as I am not the owner. So they really have us stuck. At this point I think we will concede and take them back as there is no solution here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also the poop is incredibly smelly. They out-gas my dog when she ate something bad. Does anyone have experience with that? I never have had cats with diarrhea.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Take them to another vet as soon as possible. Please. I’m sure there are other vets in your neighborhood. They need help today. I know you can do it!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, they were looked at by the vet. She didn't say anything about them being dehydrated, their weight is good (they were underweight before), and their blood work is fine. But still no word on the fecal and I don't understand why this is the third time I have tried it and for some reason they just say they will and then never follow through. She said it sounded like it was large intestine diarrhea, which is usually parasite or bug of some sort according to her.

The shelter gal keeps telling me it is food though. Is is normal for two kittens to have that severe of food issues right off the bat? I also did not change the dry food from what they were being fed. I only added wet as they had the diarrhea and were very small for their age and I didn't want them to get worse. They had the diarrhea the entire time with us so they must have had it at the shelter too. I did some digging and apparently they are really bad here with sick animals.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Now, will you make an appointment with another veterinarian?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I will not. I am fostering the kittens. I do not own them. And again, they are not in a life threatening situation. I don't find that response helpful. I am asking about the food sensitivity. As bad as the stinking shelter.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I apologize. I appreciate you being a foster parent. I’m sure it can be frustrating at times. I hope they will first rule out any parasite issues. I think that should be the first step.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts