Makes approximately 60 treats:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nonfat, dry, powdered milk
1/2 can tuna, in oil OR 1/2 cup cooked chicken, chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil OR cod liver oil
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup water
Catnip (Optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets with cooking spray. In large bowl, mash the tuna (or chicken) into smaller pieces. Then add flour and milk. Mix well. After all is mixed, pour in water and oil. Mix well again. Next beat egg in seperate dish until egg gets a foamy texture. Add to mix. Mix well. The dough mix will be sticky, so don't worry.

Using your fingers, shape dough into small bite size balls - about the size of a marble. Put balls on greased cookie sheets. Flatten balls with hand. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove treats from oven wait five minutes and turn treats over so other side will cook. Bake 10 more minutes or until golden brown in color. Place treats on cookie rack to cool. Cool for 15 minutes.

NEVER give treats to your pet right after cooking. You can add the catnip in the recipe or sprinkle on top of treats. They like it either way. Store in air tight container and store in refrigerator or cool dry place.

I haven't tried them yet, but they sound pretty good. Maybe I'll make a batch tonight.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My cats love to eat cat nip! I've read it's good for their digestive systems but I don't know how true that is.

I guess if I wasn't so lazy about cooking I might try making this for my cats. :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
That sounds cool! When I feel like making something I will think about my feline friends.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I dont cook much since I'm always working but if I made this for the cats, I can definitely see how I would make more entrees and snacks for the kitties than us! :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have almost the exact recipe, only catnip is the main flavour ingredient, not chicken or tuna. Since I can't find loose catnip for an affordable price around here I am going to try with a can of tuna.

I just made dog treats, they turned out so great. They are great Christmas presents for your pets!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It sounds yummy!!

Muffin won't eat meat of ANY kind. Maybe I'll make the recipe and see if I can't get her to try it. She LOVES catnip, that may help.

She gets live catnip whenever it's available, and I always keep the dried on hand. Live grass, too. Cats eat it in the wild, it is good for digestion, I believe. (Dr. Jean may be able to confirm this, I hope?!) Muffin eats it every day.

She dashed out the back door one day last summer and went straight for the grass and flowers & started chomping. (She NEVER wants to go outside - before or since!) I decided she needed her own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
P.S. I recently read that tuna is toxic and unnatural to cats...I was 'mortified' as I had given it to my beloved Smokey for 18 years!!! He loved it.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
sweet_eyes_gramma said:
P.S. I recently read that tuna is toxic and unnatural to cats...I was 'mortified' as I had given it to my beloved Smokey for 18 years!!! He loved it.
When it comes to tuna and other predatory fish (fish that eat other fish, ingesting the contaminents from those), they contain trace amounts of mercury in their fat. Because canned tuna contains the meat and some fat, there is mercury in the canned stuff (I believe salmon is the same story). It's OK for an occasional treat, but NOT ok for everyday. It's the same for humans.

Expectant mothers are often told not to eat fish often (especially tuna!) because of this.

At least, this is what I've read elsewhere. I grew up on fish, but we always caught it ourselves and my dad is very good at cleaning fish (i.e., he removes all the fat).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I knew a weight lifter who ate tuna 2-3 times a day, every day for years. I wonder how he is doing today.

Alternatively you can leave the tuna out of this recipe, and use catnip for the flavour, just add a bit more than you would as a topping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My nephew ate ONLY tuna and cottage cheese for 2 years during wrestling season. I had forgotten about it; I'll have to find out what he might have to say...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts