Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked my mom to put the bones of her turkey in my freezer over Christmas so I could make something for Oliver when I got home. Now I need help. I want to make him a broth or, preferably, gravy. Something that he can lick and is healthy and saves me money from buying cans of cat food. Any ideas?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone??
Can I just boil and simmer the bones to make a thick soupy broth? How would thicken it up to make it nutritional?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'm no expert, and I'm looking for ideas myself, but my yard cats love boiled meat broth, any meat. And if I add salt to it (once a year or so), then it's a feast. The nights are cold now, so the soup is best served warm (not hot, of course). Just make very sure no bones are left in the soup, not even tiny ones.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sure, you can make a broth. Put the bones and about 8 cups of water and bring them to a boil, then reduce heat to low or medium/low and simmer for a few hours. (You can look up some turkey soup recipes online - I love to make soup for myself- but if you add anything, carrots would be ok but do NOT add any onion). To make gravy, you would need to add a teaspoon or so of flour, but wheat flour isn't good for cats. Maybe rice flour?

I would just consider this a snack or addition to his food. When you are boiling the meat, it also takes away some of the nutrients like taurine.

·
Registered
697 Posts
To make a gravy you'd have to add some kind of flour, which would have no nutritional value for a cat. I would probably go for the broth.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I asked my mom to put the bones of her turkey in my freezer over Christmas so I could make something for Oliver when I got home. Now I need help. I want to make him a broth or, preferably, gravy. Something that he can lick and is healthy and saves me money from buying cans of cat food. Any ideas?
You could boil them and make a broth easily. Just pick off the bits of meat afterwards and serve. Nice treat for kitty. I buy turkey legs and thighs and roast them with about 2 cups water per 3 pieces. Then I grind up the meat and fat, add the broth and mix it all together. Divide into 1.5 cup containers (12 oz +/-) and freeze. 3 of my 5 cats love it and it's healthy for them. In a pinch I can add a little mayo for hubby's lunch sandwich! It's 100% fresh turkey, so why not? (shhh!).

I use a grinder I bought from Amazon for about $25. Works really well!!

Amazon.com: Norpro Meat Grinder, Mincer, and Pasta Maker: Kitchen & Dining

1 - 6 of 6 Posts