Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a cat that will come and ask you for play time? Tweezer often comes to me and starts mewing at me when he wants to play. He then leads me to where the toys are and it is pretty obvious that he wants some play time. I was able to get him on video today when he came to me in the study and led me to the toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXvteShI_Ig

And this is the play session that followed with Charlie joining in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl5clfS_DDU

·
Super Moderator
26,352 Posts
That's exactly what Cleo does!! She'll come and start talking to me when I'm on the computer. I get up and she either runs to the right (playtime) or to the kitchen (food). It makes me laugh every time because she takes little tiny fast steps and usually talks/whines while she runs.

Great videos!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Toby(1995-2007) would drag the leather string to us when he wanted to play. He would also put his foot on your foot, to get your attention. If that didn't work, he'd maybe poke out a little claw or make a small meow-request. Toby *loved* for us to drag the leather string (no fabric to get teeth caught in) on the linoleum floor so he could sliiiiiiiide. I bet he would have loved the hardwood floors.
Our kitties don't usually ask us to play since we play with them often, but they will come and ask for attention or permission to leap into our laps. Louie is especially polite and Mister(1995-2006) was, too.
I loved how Tweezer led you and would stop and check back to see if you were following. He sounded very much like our Floofy when he wants attention or to play with another cat. I especially liked how he showed you he was where he wanted you to be, by raising his tail when he stopped by the toy.

Wasn't Tweezer a rescue? Am I recalling correctly? ....very skinny with a poor, spike-y looking haircoat?

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Murphy does that too! He meows up a storm and then leads me to the toy area in the living room, looking back the whole way to make sure I'm still following him. They're goofs!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heidi n Q said:
Our kitties don't usually ask us to play since we play with them often, but they will come and ask for attention or permission to leap into our laps. Louie is especially polite and Mister(1995-2006) was, too.
Tucker was a very polite cat. He would never jump in your lap unless he was invited. I had never heard of another cat doing that until you mentioned it.

Heidi n Q said:
Wasn't Tweezer a rescue? Am I recalling correctly? ....very skinny with a poor, spike-y looking haircoat?
Yes, when Tweezer came to us he only weighed 3 1/2 lbs - in spite of being nearly two. (He is now around 12 lbs.) He was like a skeleton and he had an upper respiratory infection and extremely goopy eyes and tapeworm. He was so weak he couldn't even make it up one stair step. The "rescue" I got him from had kept him isolated in a cage because of being FeLV+. The problems he had were due to much more then his feline leukemia problems, though. I have since heard that that particular rescue has a very bad reputation in the area.

Tweezer has turned into a great cat with tons of personality. He is my mother in laws special love. She is 86 and completely adores him. She calls him her key-key. I hope Tweezer lives a long and healthy live in spite of being positive, but I really hope and prey that he doesn't leave this world before she does because it would break her heart.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Artemisia is not shy about wanting to play.

She has a mouse-toy tied to a string that she absolutely ADORES. When she wants to play (which is often), she will locate her mouse (even if I left it on a bookshelf), put it in her mouth, and roam around the house meowing. When she finds me, she drops the mouse near my feet and gives me a plaintive look.

If I'm, say, working on the computer and not giving her the attention she feels she deserves, she will jump up on the desk and situate herself somewhere where I couldn't possible miss her giving me her "I'm a poor, abused kitty whose Daddy doesn't love her" look.

If that doesn't work, she will sloooooooowly stretch out a paw, stick out her claws, and snag them in my shirt, all the while still giving me a look that says "see what your callousness has made me do?". At which point, I usually laugh, pick her up, give a kiss, and chase her around the house (or, rather, let her chase me around the house--she loves running after string).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My little girl Tora loves to have us play with this little stuffed turtle which is on the end of a six foot long cord attached to a four foot long pole. We'll swing the turtle all around the living room and she just chases it everywhere! She loves it. Sometimes, when she wants to play, she will start by coming to sit on my computer table, right in front of my couch, and just staring at me. If I look at her, she meows over and over again. After about three minutes of her doing this, she'll move on to finding the turtle, wherever it has ended up in the house, and dragging the whole turtle-cord-pole apparatus over to me. She stands there, with the turtle in her mouth, looking at me like "This is my toy. You should be playing with it." It is so sweet! I love just it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My black cat is like that sometimes, but it's only if he wants to lay on my lap so I can pet him. The one thing he does like to play with is the wallet I have that has a small chain on it, so I can connect it to my pants. Anyways, if he wants to be petted, and I don't pay attention to him, he'll find a way to gain my attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts