Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Tweezer had a routine vet checkup and I was told he has cataracts and does not see much, especially out of the bottom part of his eyes. This is a big surprise because he doesn't act like his eyesight is all that bad. It has never been normal because one of his eyes is a little clouded due to him being extremely malnourished as a kitten. The cataracts may be a side effect of his feline leukemia status.
My vet tells me that on cats the operation they do is a lens removal. That would give him back his distance vision but he could never focus close up, which I am told cats don't do well anyway. At this point I am most inclined to do nothing. He is not suffering and it does not seem to be a hardship for him. Stress is extremely bad for FeLV+ cats and I would think the surgery would be very stressful. Right now he seems very healthy (although still waiting on the results of his bloodwork) and I am inclined not to rock the boat.
Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Poor Tweezer! And you. :patback

Is it going to get much worse in the near future? I don't know anything about FELV+ cats, but I probably wouldn't chance the operation, either. And he's an inside cat, so it's not like he needs to have the 20/20 distance vision that the operation would give him. I don't imagine he has to watch out for alligators and such. :grin:

If he does lose his sight down the road, Merry's blind cats do just fine, most people can't even tell the blind ones from the sighted ones when they visit.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think he will adjust to his diminishing eyesight. My 17-year-old cat Alex had cataracts the last year of his life and couldn't really see, but was so familiar with everything in his environment that he managed OK.
I even let him go out, with supervision.
Love, reassurance, a safe place to move around in - with these, Tweezer will do fine.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Tweekers. I guess it comes down to what will happen if he doesn't have the surgery (I would think he would eventually lose his sight) versus what is involved with the surgery (i.e., how stressful is it). I can't speak for cats, but I know in people it's a very simple surgery, and there's no pain involved afterwards (my father recently had the surgery). The only real risk is that the surgery won't be successful (less than 5% chance in humans), but that's no different from not having the surgery. That said, I'm not familiar with FeLV in cats, whereas you clearly are. So, if you think the stress of surgery would be worse than his losing his sight down the road, then you should trust your instincts. It's a tough call.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
I think that cats that lose their site gradually just adjust bit by bit and do just fine. I wouldn't put him through the stress and possible complications of the surgery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts