Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my ten-year-old cat was ill. I was up half the night with him and he would not even think about eating breakfast. I took the day off from work and took him to the vet. They took blood and an x-ray. After taking the x-ray three people with grim faces brought him back. The vet showed me the x-ray and his intestines were twisted. The vet thought he had eaten a piece of string. I had the option of doing something more invasive or waiting 24 hours. I decided to wait because he seemed a little better. Shortly after I got him home he wanted to eat. That day I fed him 5 small meals and there was no vomiting or diarrhea. The next morning he ate breakfast. That day I found out his blood work showed his white count was very high. So he was given antibiotics and the following week I took him back for another exam and blood work. He had gained a quarter pound and the blood work was normal. The vet was amazed. He is completely back to normal, thank goodness. But I'm curious about the x-ray. I have played phone tag with the vet all week and I'm not going to call again. Has anybody else ever had a healthy cat with a twisted intestine?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
No, but horses can twist a gut pretty easily when they colic. I've never heard of it happening in cats, but I also don't know of any reason why it can't. Your cat was one VERY lucky boy that the twist resolved on its own without surgical correction.

Laurie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts