Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in Gigi's post I've been kicking around the idea of a second cat. Here's my worry. Mow and I are really attached to each other. We bonded but when I got laid off in April he and I became really close. He's *constantly* with me and always cuddling.

When we lay on the couch and watch TV he's my little pillow, if I'm at the computer he's on the back of my chair wrapped around my head, if I'm in bed he's curled against my face. When I go out he sits in the window and waits for me to come home (and according to the neighbors he meows the whole time I'm gone)....

Will this change if I get another cat? Will he bond with the other cat and I'll be sleeping miserable and lonely? :sad I cat sat for my ex husband and Mow wanted SOOOOOO badly to be friends with Anthony (ex's cat) but Anthony spent the entire trip behind the couch hissing and spitting at both of us. Mow even tried pawing his favorite mini tennis ball to Anthony and batted him his fuzzy mice and got no response so I think he'd LIKE a sibling. :p I just don't want to be neglected. Hehe.

·
Banned
470 Posts
1) You are the divine provider of noms
2) You are the petter and groomer
3) You are the biggest warmest mammal
4) You bust out the fun toys

In other words, you are the provider of good, heh! Its pretty hard not to be ace in their book for both of them if they are at all sociable in the first place.

IMO its twice the entertainment, and even though Wesley and Buttercup are attached at the hip as they are siblings and haven't been separated since birth, I just end up with two lap cats.

As when any one of them gets the urge to cuddle with the warm grooming food ATM, the other does the same, and more often than not I end up with two cats snuggled up against me or laying on me, and while they mostly groom each other, Buttercup usually ends up licking my arm or hand too which I allow.

And the nice thing though is that if I do have to shoo em because I'm busy, they get the idea and entertain each other, don't meow at me at night, and I feel more comfortable the times that I have to leave them alone as they have each other for company and I feel also get a lot more exercise by chasing and wrestling than they would all alone with little stimuli. When they are young, they also seem to help each other learn by copying. Once one of them catches on, the other usually figures it out by mimic.

Only downside is twice the food and vet costs, all else equal. But at least they can share everything else, and caring for two cats is minimal more effort IMO than one.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Cinderella and I had the same great relationship that you and Mow have. It all changed when I adopted Cleo and it was never the same again. :(

Cinderella tried to be friends with a cat before, but then wouldn't even give Cleo a chance. So the fact that Mow tried with one cat is no guarantee he'll like the next one.

That said, I think adopting a kitten is the best thing for an adult cat. They are not threatening, and while they may be a pest for a while and need to be taught limits, they seem to be the easiest to introduce into a house with adult cats.

Mow doesn't sound like he's lonely and he obviously LOVES his person, you have a great bond with him. I wouldn't change things, but that's just me. I believe one-cat homes are great.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Meowing at the window constantly when away and clinginess sounds like moderate separation anxiety to me though. *shrugs*
A cat with separation anxiety may insist on being with the owner at all times, even following the owner from room to room. When the owner gets ready to leave the house, the cat may sulk and hide, or try to get between the owner and the door. When the owner returns, the cat may show an abnormally enthusiastic greeting. Some of the behavioral problems triggered by separation anxiety in cats are the same as those seen in dogs such as vocalizing after the owner leaves.
Definitely takes two to tango though and not all kitties will "click", but I'd think that a four month old or so really outgoing male would be worth a shot. The adoption agency I went with I'm pretty sure had a 4 week trial period. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, and better for a cat at a shelter to have gotten a chance at least than none at all in my book. :)

·
Banned
123 Posts
The 2nd kitten I brought home, one being Baby. Was a little girl kitten and he took to her really well. We gave her to a friend of ours because she really wanted a kitty. Later on we brought home another female kitty about the same age. He hates her. Wont give her a chance or anything, but it never changed the way Baby acts towards me. I hope your decision goes well and hope everything turns out peachy!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I was soooo afraid Sinatra wouldn't love me anymore when we got Nutmeg. Sinatra is my little baby and we are extremely close. It turns out he has fun with Nutty and I think he is happier with his sister. He still sleeps with me at night, I am definitely not neglected.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How old is Mow?

Our first cat (1.5yo) definitely missed his kitty friends from his foster home (5 others, all liked him except one but she was the queen of the house). We adopted a 2nd cat 2 weeks later to be his buddy - while they got along fine, she (2-3 yo) didn't want to wrestle but he did. So we adopted a 3rd boy (5 months) 3 months later, and he gets along fine with the 2 adults - he wrestles with the 1st cat and we're happy!

It sounds like Mow does like being with another cat, but I'd definitely choose one that'd be playful and like playing with another cat (in retrospect, we probably should have adopted a playful younger boy as our 2nd cat, as that'd have been a better match. Too late now, and we're not going to return the girly cat!)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm in the same camp as Ducman and Sinatra-Butters. Hershey is my constant companion when I'm home, is frequently in the same room with me, spends time cuddling on my lap, and sleeps tucked into my side each night. I've got four, which I don't recommend and didn't originally intend, but it's working. Snowball was defensive aggressive, and even though she has improved, she doesn't like to play. Blizzy and Hershey liked to wrestle, but Blizzy was more of a loner. Hence, despite having three cats, I got a fourth, Little Hersh, to try to give Hershey more of a buddy and to have a second cat like Hershey.

And, lo and behold, it has worked! Little Hersh, who was four months when I got him and now is 7-1/2 months, gets along with everyone, especially Hershey, views Hersh as a role model and learns from him (Hershey is about 2), wrestles with him, and sleeps with us now virtually every night. Hersh and Little Hersh have a ritual of silent play wrestling, while on my body, every morning as part of wake-up.

In short, Hersh is just as affectionate as ever, still cuddles and sleeps where I am, but he also has a real playmate and companion of his own to pass the time with, on cat tress and running around the house. From anecdotal evidence on this Forum, and despite its very much depending on the specific cat, in my view you will improve your chances of finding a good playmate for Mow if you get another guy. And chances are reasonably good you may end up with two pillows, not one!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mow is 6 years old, but he acts like a kitten. Every morning after he eats I have to chase him for a good half hour/ 45 minutes or he won't give me any peace. He is very very playful and I can't just give him a toy and walk away, he requires interactive play.

I guess since he's my first cat and i've always been a dog person, i tend to treat him more like a puppy than a cat, but it works for us :D

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The limited experiance I've had with cats has made me think i'd always prefer male cats. The females i've ever met are so....bitchy.... The male cats always seem so laid back.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Well, then. I guess you don't need advice from me.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If my assessment was wrong, by all means correct me. As I said I have limited experiance with cats. I'm here to learn and definately meant no offense.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Just giving you a hard time. :grin:

My girls are very loving, but I've always wanted an orange boy.

I've always been afraid of spraying, which is also a generalization, I know.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I used to feel the same way about female cats. We (my parents) have a 17 yr old (since she was 8 weeks) who is very aloof and snobby (still love her to death) and our two little ones. We found Rowdy first and he is our first boy cat. He is loving, playful, vocal and loves his momma. But we felt he needed a companion, I just couldnt leave him alone all day and when we go on trips, so we went to the shelter to adopt another cat. We were looking for males, but Malley jumped right onto my lap the moment I sat down in her room and balled up and started purring away. She is the sweetest most loving cat I have ever had! So not all females are snotty or aloof or bitchy. As for the second cat. Our two little ones would be lost without each other.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have learned that being gender biased with cats is always a bad decision, because cats have a tendency to prove us wrong. :)
I know snobby male and female cats, and I know playful and loving male and female cats. I think it depends on personality, not gender.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
AMEN! Sinatra-Butters

I have 3 girls and 2 are as loving, sweet, playful, and down to earth as can be. Azalia is aloof and will cringe away from you if she's not in the mood to be bothered with you. She also like to sit and just inspect things. I swear in her head she's thinking "oh look at the stupid human do..." as she licks her paw.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got Misha first with her brther, they were brought to my door when they were about 4 weeks old, still unable to run! barely walking without falling over... Misha would scream as she got older when her brother tried to play with her, he had no boundries, and would bite her very hard... So naturally she wasn't into wrestling for quite a while...

Fast forward to now, shes one year two months about,been introduced and had 12+ cats pass through her short life! She adopted a kitten, and begged to keep a boyfriend (who I'm thinking is more a hubby now!), so now I've got 2 boys and a girl, the two boys wrestle hard, Tigger is roughly 2/3 years old, and Ziggy is 5 months old (and already just about bigger than Misha at a yr old! gunna be a monster!) Misha has learned how to playagain with these two, they are more careful with her than when they play together... but it took time...

At night, I have two dogs at my feet, Tigger is my teddy bear and doesn't mind being hugged/squeezed at night, Ziggy sleeps at my head, Misha will flop on top of one of them... Tigger is my baby, Im sad when I go to work cause I just think about cuddling with him, and when I get home he greets me at the door with the dogs, follows me arounf yowling till I sit down so he can be in my lap.. *such as now ^_^*

He loves his wifey and son, and spends lots of time with them, but we have a super relationship too!

I have a family pic too, but guess its still on my phone... to cute...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts