Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Both kittens are around the same age (about 4-5 months). Male is 4 months, Female is 5. I've had the male kitten for about 2-3 months now.I am having difficulty getting my kittens to get along. I read somewhere that showering the new kitten and was wondering if it will typically work? My new kitten and my old kitten just are not getting a long. We've only had them for two weeks, but there's barely any progress. We started off separating them for an introduction and placed the new kitten into a safe zone then introduced her scent to him, then we let her out after a week and a half because he kept trying to open the door out of curiosity (since it's always closed) to see what is in there. Now, I have them in two separate rooms and they spend time to time together when me and my boyfriend are able to supervise. Each room has a cat tree, water bowl, food bowl, scratch post, and toys in each room, as well as a spot to sleep (a blanket, a bed). I let them out when I am able to supervise them, but I pull them apart sometimes when I see that it gets SUPER aggressive, like scratching each others face and nearby the eyes (to prevent eye injury).

Due to to COVID-19 and everything being backed up, we aren't able to get the male spayed until next Wednesday. The female is neutered due to picking her up at the adoption center. I even called the vet to ask if we can push the date for the male, but she said being spayed wouldn't make a difference but I read online that intact male cats tend to be more aggressive. He tends to try to bite on her neck and try to hop on her and that's when she tends to hit him and then it's a whole cat fight.
I feel so bad and it's a stressful situation. Me and my boyfriend haven't been able to sleep in the same bed together because if we leave one of them in a room by themselves (due to shutting it to avoid them aggressively fighting), one of them will meow and then one of us will get up and sleep in the separate room. So there's no way for us to sleep together.

Any advice would mean a ton to me!
Thank you,

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Your male needs to get neutered.....can you take him to another vet? He's being "studdy", and by grabbing her neck in his teeth is the male's way of controlling the female to keep her from rolling over.while he's trying to mate with her. Get a water pistol and when you see him doing that, give him a squirt.....it's better if he doesn't see you doing it! Once he's neutered it may take a month or so for him to stop this behavior. Try and play a lot with him, with a piece of cord or heavy string or narrow belt and drag it around the floor like a snake. Give him some ping pong balls to play with, some cats really like to play with them in a bath tub. I hope some these suggestions will be helpful to you. All the best

1 - 2 of 2 Posts