Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*harrows fingernails down face*

Ugh! I think we have a "Suckers live HERE!" sign on top of our home. Two cats have been hanging around:
A stout black tom who is very vocal AND friendly to people. Loves to be held and cuddled, wants to come inside, will head-butt and/or rub his face on your nose/chin when you hold him.
A solid looking mackerel tabby, that I suspect is male, only because of the large size. The black cat also tries to run him off. The tabby cat will look at me through a window, but runs off if I open the door. Tonight I saw him through the LR window and he meowed at me so I got a bowl of food because I thought he would stick close enough to see/smell it was food and I could retreat back into the house to give him space, but when I opened the door he was running off with the black cat yowling at his heels.

I can't let Pretty or Malibu out because they do not like these two newcomers. Mostly the black because he is fairly aggressive about staying around and I don't want Mallie or Pretty to get injured. When I take the two fosters to the adoption place, I think I may ask the lady about taking the black cat. Neutering him and trying to place him in a home. ...I just don't know how he would do IN a home because I cannot let him in with our current cats to find out. The tabby cat, I'll have to see if I can get it tamed enough to get it s/n/vaccinated and then see if it would be suitable for the adoption center. If not, I guess he'd become another barn cat until he decides he'd like to become a housecat, the way Malibu, Dusty and Pretty were treated/tamed.

Man. I thought I was finally getting my numbers down to a manageable amount. :dis
h

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
During the depression the hobos would leave signals for other hobos saying things like "Kind woman lives here". I am sure there is some sort of kitty signal which says the same thing at your house.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hee, hee, looks like the local cats sure have your number! :wink:

If you bring the black cat in with the kittens, won't the shelter manage his adoption? And the tabby, since he's outdoor only right now, it won't be too much extra work, will it?

You've really got your hands full and I know you've been trying to whittle your load down a bit. Don't take on too much! No one person can save the world and if you wear yourself out, you won't be any good to anyone, you know?

Not to mention, we won't see you around here as much and then we'll miss you. ('Cause, you know, it's all about us. :p )

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auntie Crazy said:
Not to mention, we won't see you around here as much and then we'll miss you. ('Cause, you know, it's all about us. :p )
Oh, I know, I know. I must keep my peeples happy. mis-spelled peeples on purpose

I'm hoping the lady can take the friendly black cat. The tabby, I'll have to wait and see what sort of temperament it has as to where it winds up; away or here. I feel I have my hands full and Shasta is going to require the lion's share of my attention and resources.
h

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
If its any consolation, Heidi, I reckon my mother knows exactly how you feel. At one point, she had what seemed to be every stray pregnant cat in the neighbourhood come over.

Kittens everywhere! At one point, with the 8 cats she owned, stray Mums and stray Mums kittens we counted that there was 32 cats in the house. 8O (Mums and kittens all got homes elsewhere eventually)

You can imagine how outnumbered the poor dogs felt too (we had three back then).

Cats know a good deal when they see one. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
heidi my heart goes out to you. I can never say no when Im the only chance they have. You truely have a gift for helping them and getting them ready for their forever home. Do you have pictures of these new ones? Dont let yourself get overwhelmed. Sending you strength and stamina to help these guys. Do you have anyone who can come by and help you out? I at least have the support of my TNR group to back me up when Im not there or there are so many to work with so they come by and help me give meds, transport to the vet when I cant, etc.

Maybe its my amagination but it seems TNR and rescue isnt as well organized or progressive as what Im use to out West. I have the luxury of current ideas coming out of Best Friends and the progressiveness of San Franciscos animal advocates. When I was helping a friend in Tennessee trying to find her help with TNR it seemed to be an idea that hadnt taken hold yet. Had some very negative conversations on the phone from cat rescues that astounded me. They seemed about 10 years behind whats going on.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smirkitty said:
The hobo sign for a kind lady who might feed them for odd jobs was a drawing of a lady and a cat. Be warned ;D
I'm doomed. I need to remove that drawing I have of a lady and a hobo. I wasn't aware that was the cat-call-sign.

No, no one to help. I'm usually home all day, but I don't like to get too tied down, because then I feel we can't leave for any trips because I would have too much for a friend/pet-sitter to do. I did take a pic of the Black cat the other night, I just haven't downloaded my camera yet. I haven't got a pic of the tabby, but he looks like LuckyDuck, only much bigger/stouter.

I went outside last night to pick up the black cat and give him a cuddle. As soon as I lifted him up to my chest, he hissed, so I put him right back down and left him there. If I can't figure out why he hissed, I may not be able to send him to the adoption place. It is possible the tabby cat was nearby and he didn't want to be 'confined' in my arms with an intruder nearby.
Regardless, he better straighten up quick...or I won't be able to help him.
h

·
Registered
777 Posts
Heidi you need to learn that getting cats to a manageable amount is impossible.

Im desperately trying to find new homes for at least 4 of mine who would do far better in a single cat home. The rest of them are quite happy been in a zoo ...

But in this blasted country im having no joy .. and the strays they just keep on comin'

16 is really just to many :(

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
In all seriousness, Heidi, you have to take care of yourself and the kitty/human family you already have. My mother - who is very passionate about cats - just got completely burned out in the end .. hence why she only has one cat today. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't help out more kitties .. its just that, at the end of the day you have finite resources in terms of both energy and finances.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
You need heart reduction surgery Heidi, it's just too big :lol:

Seriously, you know what you can handle, just don't spread yourself too thin.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...part of my problem is I have to handle it and I (and my husband) have helped to perpetuate it...

The two cats are preventing my barncats from being able to spend time outdoors to do their barn-duties and we have been giving these two cats food, so they are hanging around. I need to take steps to integrate them into my cat-family or find them different places to live.

I will only consider taking them to the pound if they become violent with me, but I am usually able to read cat body language well and only push as far as I need to get the results I want without over-loading the kitty with more than it can handle.
I'll just have to see how it goes...
h

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
It amazes me how this keeps happening to you! And a few others, while we're at it. I've never had a cat approach me in my whole life, but some people seem to have it happen every week.

About the hissing when you picked him up ... maybe he's just a cat that hates to be picked up. When we used to pick Rookie up every now and then, she'd howl like it was the greatest torture on earth. I'm sure hissing wasn't far off, and God knows she hissed at us for other things.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Holly, but both of us have picked him up for cuddles before and he just purrs and rubs/loves on us. When I picked him up last night he was a bit 'stiff', no purring and hissed when I stood up with him. He had his feet braced against me and was leaning away...so he was giving me signs, I just didn't see/heed them soon enough to prevent the hiss.

He tried to run Pretty off this morning. Pretty was rattled and agitated and wouldn't come to me so I could bring her inside. She'll be okay outside until I can get her and I at the back door together to let her back in. It is a nice day out, almost 70*, so she's definitely good for a day out in the fresh air.
h

1 - 16 of 16 Posts