Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK two things...

I just got Charlie, who is at least part Maine Coon (see Attached). He's a sweet little guy. One minute he's a little sweet love boat, and another, he's so wild and crazy, going after my adult cat Vegas.

Anyways, Charlie keeps eating Vegas's food. I leave dry food out all day, and when I come home, it's gone! He is eating the whole thing! What can I do to get him to eat the kitty food he needs for nutrician? Maybe he doesn't like his Iams Kitty food? Should I consider something different like Science Diet??? His Poops STINK like crazy! And actually he had his own litter box, but has started to go in Vegas's litter box-i don't think she likes that very much, but there is nothing I can do, at least he's going in the box! =)

Another problem, and we've noticed he's stinky sometimes...don't know if he's passing gas, or if it is gladular...he's about 5-6 months old, and I'm making an apt. today for him to get neutered.

But this morning, he came up in the bed with us, and then he left, but left a really stinky scent on the bed. Could he have sprayed on the bed? I don't know if he is spraying yet or not. But it's a lingering type of stink, you could smell it on the sheets, the blanket..I'll have to wash everyting tonite when I get home. Even my boyfriend, who was sleeping, woke up and stank really bad. Especially his neck for some reason. It smelled just like the cat. I don't know how else to put this so I'm just going to say it because he described it as smelling like ASS! I can't tell if it is the urine spray, or if it is his glands, or if it had gas, or what! But when I went to give my boyfriend a hug this morning, his neck smelled so bad!

He's being treated for worms, which he started treatment for at the shelter I bought him at. He has one more dose to go. Could this be part of the problem? I mean he's had 3 treatments already!

Also while on the subject of worms, can worms get passed to my other cat, and our dog Sage?

Thanks for all the insight and help, it is much appreciated.

I look forward to being active on this list, and learning more about my new kitten. I'm a first time kitten owner. I've had Vegas for about 2 years now, I took her in when my grandfather passed away, as she was his cat after my grandmother passed away, to keep him company.

Valerie

my little Charlie Bear :p

·
Registered
672 Posts
When I got Stix (one of my friends found him) he was about 3 months old and the first few times he used the litter box I would have to open the doors because he smelled so bad. Also I didnt know cats could pass gas but one day he did and it was so loud I thought someone else was in my house. Then when I took him to the vet, they said it was because of tapeworms, gave him a shot and since he has been treated it has not smelled like that. Maybe once his treatment is over you will notice a change? Thought it might help....

PS...the kitty is adorable, I just want to squeeze him! :lol:

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
for eating lots- kittens can be gready, without seperating your 2 cats while they eat/where you keep the food there is no way i can think of to stop him eating other food.

Stinky poopy, well thats down to his food, iams=stinky poopy. When i had kittens i noticed thier litter trays were disgustingly stinky, clean litter every day, but when i had a kitten a while back i didnt have this problem. From reading on here people said about iams, and its ingredients making poopy stinky, so i changed foods, and taa-daa no more super stiny litter tray. And this refelcted on my cats too, because they didnt have a stinky-ness about them anymore either.

As to do you think you cat is spraying, is the smell kinda sweet? i think thats the best way to describe it. But also i noticed sometimes when i came home from work and the litter trays were bad the smell of pee was kinda the same as spray, sweet-ish. is he peeing anywhere else in the house? this could be it. But also with his age i think (not 100% certain) it is around the age he could start spraying. I may be wrong here, im sure there will be lots of other posts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm no expert, but that stinky smell on your bed and boyfriend sounds like anal gland smell to me. My one male if he gets scared or excited releases this liquid from his butt and it smells just as you described. The smelly poo is probably from the food, but kittens smell more for some reason. Spray smells different. To me it reminds me of the smell of golden rod pollen in late summer. Your best bet is to ask your vet, maybe his anal glands are impacted and need to be evacuated. One question: does he drag his butt along the floor?

·
Registered
34 Posts
One reason for the "butt drag" is impacted anal glands.They may need to be manually expressed. If you have never done this yourself it would probably be best to have your vet show you how. I'll forewarn you though CATS DO NOT LIKE THIS! They can get kinda mean :evil: about having their rear ends violated. It is prety gross too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for all the responses!

First, I made an apt. for him to get neutered, so if it is a spraying problem, that should go away. My boyfriend and I don't think he is spraying. I think he must have passed gas, or it's his glands. Though, he has not been dragging his but on the floor, lol, our dog will do that once in a while, it's kinda funny. =) So anyways, Charlie's "stinkiness" was gone by the time we got home.

I think I am going to be changing their food soon. What other kind of kitty food would be good? Science Diet I hear is good.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Good luck with your kitty but of course Science Diet is not really a good food i think b/c its so greasy and has byproducts in them also. Maybe try a higher grade food like Felidae or Solid Gold or Chicken soup... when they eat higher grade food they eat less and poopie is less stinky. It may be more expensive but they have more natural ingredients in it and is healthier for the cat. I sincerely hope the Ass Smell goes away I would find that really irritating to live with hehe :wink:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Raina_Stardust - I know my brother-in-law is manually expressing their anal glands for his girl doggies whenever he gives them their bath - once a month. In cats -is it something that should be done only in cases like "butt-drag" or on a regular basis?
(I wipe Frosty's rear often to keep bacteria away - I know he doesn't like it but he puts up with it + I am as gentle as possible - I was assuming this should be enough)
I have another question - now that you mentioned it. What do you mean by " impacted anal glands"? Thanks :)
~*~
Charlie Bear is adorable. When are you going to show us Vegas, Color420?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Eating others food, using other's litter box: trying to assert dominance. Don't get involved in that. They must work it out. Charlie may become dominant. Vegas might. It's not up to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.

I have a kitten- she's a girl tho, so I don't know about spraying or anything. But I would get that checked out.

I started Penny on Iam's Kitten food- but she passed gas all the time w/ it & was very stinky. So the vet gave me a free jug of pedigree & she seems to be doing fine with it! Of course, it doesn't have the advantage of being Y shaped like Iams, so it was harder for her to chew, so I put a little water on it- & she loves it.

changing foods will less upset Charlie's Belly if you do it over a few days period. The 4 day plan is very highly recomended by vets. First day, mix 25% of the new food w/ 75% old food. day 2 50% & 50% day 3 25% old food & 75% new food... & then day 4- 100% new food. if you have extra food, make the stretch of 25%/75%(old/new) a little longer. that's what i was told!

hope this helps!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ugh, anal gland stink is the worst. One of my cats has to go to the vet every other month to get hers expressed. Everytime she gets nervous or excited, she leaves a "scent" on whatever chair, couch cushion, or bed that she happens to be sitting on. Blech. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
ioana-"Impacted" just means that the anal glands are full and unable to break on their own,which they usually do when the cat does a #2. Common causes of this are a low activity level,obesity,or an infection in the gland itself. Expressing the glands by hand is not necessary on a regular basis, only if you notice something wrong.Since you wipe your kitty's rear often and haven't noticed any yellowish discharge your cat is probably fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts