Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
well, in the days it took to be able to post, I have separated the cats; BUT I will still ask the question and hope someone will benefit! My friend need for her two cats to stay in a place(they were living out of a car...) until they got their new place. I thought they would be fine with using the same litter-box/food/waters; I would have separated them now, but...The two new kitties were 'bullying' my kitty! My cat would just go to her 'safe space' under my bed. The other two would 'taunt' her by getting to close (there was hissing) just because it was something to do. My cat urinated a few times, half because she could not get to the litter-box safely, half because she was scared. :( Well, is there any ideas on what I could have done EXCEPT what I mentioned by having two litter-box/food/waters? Hopefully someone else can benefit from this!!

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
No....cat introductions take time....if it goes well, a week or two. Sometimes months, especially with adults...kitten intros are easier. They must be separated to start. Search this forum or Google "cat introductions" and there is plenty of advice on how to progress from there. Swapping scents, treating on opposite sides of a door, short periods of exposure, using gates so they can see each other but not etc. Cat intros must be done on the cat's schedule, not the humans.

Recommended number of litter boxes is "number of cats plus one" so for 3 cats you should have 4. Sometimes that can be weaned down over time if they get along really well.

Basically, taking in cats for a short period should always be done with the idea of keeping them separated and not introducing them. It's not worth the stress it creates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts