Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the person i adopted from says that the fee includes two sets of shots, called hte 3-in-1 at 8 weeks and another shot about 3 weeks later.

is this correct?

also what other shots would be needed on a periodic basis and when?

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
We might have to wait for Dr. Jean to come back from vacation for this one. I would also like to know. I bring Kitty in for shots every year, but lately, I've been thinking could these hurt her? (Getting shots she doesn't really need). She's indoor 100% of the time, in fact outside scares her. I can leave the front door wide open and she won't leave.

So, which shots are appropriate for an Outdoor cat, an indoor/outdoor cat, and an indoor only cat?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I want to know if I have to go every year, both my cats are indoor. Or, if I can go every 3 yeras.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, my cats are all strictly indoor, and all go every 3 years. As long as they have a complete set/boosters as kittens, indoor cats do not need yearly shots......but a cat that goes outside, AT ALL, needs shots every year....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
little topic pump for dr jean's attention :D

btw i just got back from the vet about 3-4 days ago...

i've gotten one shot from my adopter called hte FRCP vaccine and i'm going to get another one from her in 2 weeks.

however the vet said i need like 3-4 other shots, including rabie, and other strange shots.

is this really required for a house cat, or do they just want to suck my pockets dry?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You guys are good--"topic pump" indeed! Well, it definitely works! :)

I just answered another post on vaccines, in this thread:
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6703

To emphasize a couple of specific points:

- yes, you have to go to the vet every year. An annual checkup, with or without vaccines, is essential. Why? I'm SO glad you asked! Here: www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=l ... w&item=007
- vaccines should be spaced at least 3 weeks apart to give the immune system time to complete its response to the previous one
- first vaccines should not be given before 8 weeks of age (I prefer to start at 9 weeks or later)
- ideally, only one vaccine should be given at a time
- *no* cat needs *all* shots *every* year!
- a vaccine program should be tailored to your cat's individual, particular situation, including outdoor access, age, health history, current health status, and vaccine history. There are no blanket recommendations based on just a single factor such as indoors or out (and there shouldn't be!)
- in the vast majority of cases, the typical "kitten shots" are all a cat needs for life other than rabies as required by law. Viral vaccines produce very long-lasting immunity.
- all boosters carry an element of risk; research suggests that every booster increases that risk

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts