Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see the answers to these questions and asking simply out of curiosity.

What would YOU consider typical cat behavior? Something that is normal that a new owner wouldn't be sure of? What would you consider a typical temperament of a cat and one that isn't so typical and where the owner should become concerned about?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Typical cat behaviour...hmmm.....they eat, they drink, they poop (hopefully in the right place, but not always), they pee (again, hopefully...but not always), they meow (if they feel like it), they purr (again, if they feel like it), they like to jump on your full bladder early in the morning on days you can sleep in (just because they can), and most like to be the Grand Ruler of the House and waited upon...and then will deign when to pay attention to you.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Typical cat behaviour...hmmm.....they eat, they drink, they poop (hopefully in the right place, but not always), they pee (again, hopefully...but not always), they meow (if they feel like it), they purr (again, if they feel like it), they like to jump on your full bladder early in the morning on days you can sleep in (just because they can), and most like to be the Grand Ruler of the House and waited upon...and then will deign when to pay attention to you.
LOL.. yea, that about covers it, I guess

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
When your cat won't eat or is not playful or seems lethargic, don't panic. Wait another day, cats have off days like we do. And whatever you do, try not to Google their symptoms, it'll scare the crap out of you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Jackson Galaxy has some pretty good episodes dealing with cats who are a bit 'off'. He can tell if they are stressed out, or have neurological disorders by how they respond to a playful stimulus or other situations.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When your cat won't eat or is not playful or seems lethargic, don't panic. Wait another day, cats have off days like we do. And whatever you do, try not to Google their symptoms, it'll scare the crap out of you.
exactly what I was looking for as far as answers go on here! Good advice for a first time cat owner. It would be just like if a child was sick, never google their symptoms. It will drive you crazy with worry. Lol

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
In fact, one time I got really mad at my cat when she was a kitten when she started biting an electric chord, and I yelled at her and slapped her ... and she was purring up a storm the whole while! I don't think all cats are like that, however.
Cats also purr when they're scared, mad, upset..... I don't think she liked being slapped.

Liloddball - please don't do that (pretty sure you wouldn't anyway).

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Stuff like ....animal abuse is never OK.

Tip:
If you feel like you're losing your temper to the point of HITTING your cat... put it in a bathroom, shut the door, go in another room, put on headphones, and listen to music/read for an hour.

·
Registered
223 Posts
one time I got really mad at my cat when she was a kitten when she started biting an electric chord, and I yelled at her and slapped her.
You slapped a kitten 8O wow that's so not cool at all.

I'm not convinced that cats really understand 'cause and effect' so physical punishment pretty much never works and just leaves the cat scared and probably confused.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
I'm hoping it was a "panic" slap without really thinking because she was biting an electrical cord.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Whoa. Yeah, I hope it was a panic slap (or pat on the butt). I have never and will never hit a cat. It's not a good form of discipline. I'm pretty sure NO cat "likes" that.

And yes, many cats purr when they are nervous. Jem used to purr the entire time he was at the vet, but his paws would also be hot and sweaty (a sure sign they are nervous/stressed). Purring does not always mean they're happy and content...

In terms of "normal" behavior, I think it all depends on the cat. Scout sleeps, on average, 20 hours a day. He's a complete slug and makes being lazy an artform, but as soon as I pull out Da Bird, he's chasing it around like a kitten. Monkey, well, he lives up to his name. He climbs on anything and everything and is pretty active (particularly late at night/early in the morning). So it's hard to quantify what typcial behavior is for every cat. ;)

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
If your cats are working their little jaws like they're shivering, it's called chattering. They're not having a seizure, do not rush them to the E.R. (and, yes, I almost did).

They usually do this when they see a bird or a bug. Or an invisible mouse. Or something in the room that you can't see, but now you know it's there. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
:dis

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Based on her other behavior, including to this day, it's obvious she was excited. She's that kind of cat. ;)

Anyway I did feel bad after slapping her, but she was really being stupid and got me REALLY angry.
Hitting anyone, human or animal, is never okay..No matter how angry you get. Your pets are like your children. No matter how angry you get, hitting your child -out of anger- is totally not okay. Same goes for your pets. I don't see a need for physical violence at all unless you were defending yourself from bodily harm. In which this case, you made clear you weren't. You should have redirected her and shown her something that she can do. I'm trying to do the same with my cat that rips up my couch with her claws. Redirecting a cat is hard work...But with hard work it can be done. I'm furious that my couch is ripped up but I'm not going to slap her or kick her because I'm angry at her.

This thread wasn't meant for that kind of thing. This was for people to post different types of normal cat behaviors that first time owners might not be aware of! Like the jaw twitch thing Marie talked about or the purring when nervous (I never knew that!!)..Things like this.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
..... but she was really being stupid and got me REALLY angry.
I repeat:

Tip:
If you feel like you're losing your temper to the point of HITTING your cat... put it in a bathroom, shut the door, go in another room, put on headphones, and listen to music/read for an hour.
If you can't control yourself and not hit your pet because you're angry... then see a professional.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
When your cats greet you at the door with martini glasses, it means they've been watching The Real Housecats of Beverly Hills.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When your cats greet you at the door with martini glasses, it means they've been watching The Real Housecats of Beverly Hills.
OMG! Your cats greet you like that?! Can I borrow them for a couple of nights? Hahahahaha...

Heres one..

My childhood cat and my Clinton both drooled when they got really really relaxed and in an intense purring session. Apparently it's normal. I remember my mom taking my childhood cat, Moose, to the vet because he did it so much and she thought something was wrong with his jaw. Ha.. Clinton doesn't do it as much as Moose did though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts