Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of my two kittens getting closer to being 1 year old, Tyson is definitely the more reclusive. Lately he seems to enjoy hanging out behind my futon, against the wall. Occasionally, I'll peek my head back there and he'll meow at me, come out, then go around the other way and back behind the futon, using the opposite end from which he came. He seems to be sitting back there staring at scratches on the wall, shadows, and the occasional peeking of my hair above the top edge of the futon -- to which he responds by jumping up and trying to play with it. It's getting to the point where I think he sits back there waiting for my hair to appear... any way to divert his attention and encourage him to come out? I've tried poking a tassel toy from the same position as where my hair would be, but that doesn't work. My bf thinks we should block off the area, but I think that would just make Tyson more likely to find another hiding spot. Any ideas on how to divert him of this new pasttime and encourage him to come out of hiding more often?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I'd just give him time. If you try to force im it can make things worse. I think blocking it off would probible justmake him find anew hiding place aswell if he is so timid.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not sure not knowing Tyson. It's possible he might take to an alternate hiding spot if you set one up. I'm thinking maybe a cardboard box with holes in it, paper grocery bags (w/o handles), those tunnels you can buy, a fabric tent/fort of some kind or one of those carpeted condos you can get pretty cheaply. You could put one or more of these in a slightly more social position. Try them near a window, but also try floor spots since he seems to like being down low. I've had cats that like to hide move more if they have multiple hiding spots. They still spend time staring at the walls behind the couch, but they'll take walk-abouts to other prime hiding spots and in the process realize that they like attention more than they remembered.

Does he like catnip? Sprinkling catnip in the new spots might help entice him to like them better/quicker.

I have blocked off some favored hiding spaces occasionally if they get overused, but it's not something I enjoy doing. It's obvious that Tyson likes this spot.

Is it possible he's doing a lie-in-wait kind of game where he likes to pop out and surprise you and/or his cat friends?

~Heather

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've put out boxes, etc around the apartment to encourage him to hang out there... doesn't work, especially since Tyra seems to be more drawn to them and hangs out in them. I think he just loves the under-the-futon area... at times he'll sleep down there b/c it's dark, and then he just hangs out and stares at the wall after. Only comes out when he feels like it, and it's definitely not a hide-then-pounce type of place since it's kind of hard to manuever in and out of (especially now that he's grown quite a bit!). Hopefully he'll grow out of it, otherwise I will have to consider blocking it. :?

I wish he liked catnip... doesn't seem to peak his interest much unless he's hungry... then he'll nibble and then stare off into space again. Tyra's the one that goes crazy over the catnip... Tyson just kind of gets spacey like a stoner (for lack of a better comparison ha ha).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts