Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA= ... SPLAY=DESC

This article really worries me because I have an outdoor cat that has bitten me at times... I really don't understand how everybody else says it's not possible to become infected with FIV, but UF is trying to get patent on technology to test for FIV??? I can't imagine getting some sort of disease that damages my immune system from a CAT BITE.. Someone please offer some input into this.. I am very concerned. It appears this was filed in 2001, and still nobody else is claiming that FIV can be transferred to humans, so what would that mean? Anyway, input is highly sought after.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
To quote the article:

To date, there have been no reported cases of retroviral zoonosis between domestic cats and humans (Pedersen et al., 1987; Yamamoto et al., 1989; Yamamoto et al., 1988; Butera et al., 2000; CDC Report: HIV and Retrovirology). No cases of feline leukemia virus (FeLV), feline foamy virus (FeFV), and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) infections of humans have been reported, even in populations at high risk for viral exposure, such as veterinarians, animal caretakers, and scientists from feline retroviral laboratories (Yamamoto et al., 1989; Yamamoto et al., 1988 ; Butera et al., 2000).

It appears that there is not a problem.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Viruses are normally highly species-dependent. That's why you don't catch a cold from your cat and your cat doesn't catch your cold. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeanie said:
To quote the article:

To date, there have been no reported cases of retroviral zoonosis between domestic cats and humans (Pedersen et al., 1987; Yamamoto et al., 1989; Yamamoto et al., 1988; Butera et al., 2000; CDC Report: HIV and Retrovirology). No cases of feline leukemia virus (FeLV), feline foamy virus (FeFV), and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) infections of humans have been reported, even in populations at high risk for viral exposure, such as veterinarians, animal caretakers, and scientists from feline retroviral laboratories (Yamamoto et al., 1989; Yamamoto et al., 1988 ; Butera et al., 2000).

It appears that there is not a problem.
yes, but if you scroll down it discusses fiv infection in humans.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
You cant get FIV from a cat ;) Its species specific. And the last thing FIV kitties need is people thinking they can catch 'kitty AIDS' from them. They have enough trouble finding homes as it is.

And n any case, its very difficult to catch. If it did turn out that I could catch FIV from Toby, I would still keep him. It wouldn't be any different from living with a person with HIV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
melysion said:
You cant get FIV from a cat ;) Its species specific. And the last thing FIV kitties need is people thinking they can catch 'kitty AIDS' from them. They have enough trouble finding homes as it is.

And n any case, its very difficult to catch. If it did turn out that I could catch FIV from Toby, I would still keep him. It wouldn't be any different from living with a person with HIV.
FIV is transmitted mainly during cat fights through saliva. HIV is usually transmitted sexually. I notice the submission date of this is dated 2001. If there were any danger from FIV, then I think that in 7 years it would have been widely known by now. I don't know, I am just confused why UF says this, and the rest of the medical community says otherwise.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
cuda said:
melysion said:

FIV is transmitted mainly during cat fights through saliva. HIV is usually transmitted sexually. I notice the submission date of this is dated 2001. If there were any danger from FIV, then I think that in 7 years it would have been widely known by now. I don't know, I am just confused why UF says this, and the rest of the medical community says otherwise.
I wouldn't worry. You cant catch FIV ;). Its not easy for other cats to get it either and the only dangers to other cats is via deep cat bites, mating or maternal transmission. Its such a fragile virus it dies very quickly once out of the cats body.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm tempted to say something like, "What do you expect from Gators?" but I won't. :wink:

I would guess that they're trying to get a patent just in case it ever becomes an issue. Big universities probably apply for everything under the sun, trying to get patents before anyone else. This just a guess, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jet Green said:
I'm tempted to say something like, "What do you expect from Gators?" but I won't. :wink:

I would guess that they're trying to get a patent just in case it ever becomes an issue. Big universities probably apply for everything under the sun, trying to get patents before anyone else. This just a guess, though.
ah, ok well makes sense. I'm sure if it were really an issue, then there would have been a lot of noise about it by now seeing as how the patent was from 2001.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts