1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when you thought you had seen/heard of everything! This was news to me. -

---------------------------------------------------

Reporting for doody: Twin Cities company expands into cat-box cleanup

He's scooped the dog poop from clients' yards but thinks he may have found a real gold mine in cats' litter boxes.

When Mike Kuehn-Hajder bought a DoodyCalls dog poop pickup franchise in 2008, he thought something was missing.

Cat poop.

So in between visits to scoop up dog waste from Twin Cities back yards, the 38-year-old Maple Grove resident devised a system to relieve cat owners of pet toilet duties, too.

Reporting for doody: Twin Cities company expands into cat-box cleanup - TwinCities.com

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wow, I live in the twin cities! I probably wouldn't get it as I have one kitty and live in apartment, but will tell my aunt about it - she may be interested.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hilarious! I think I might offer this service under the table to my city. Sounds like decent money could be made by doing something I couldn't be more pro at!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I would totally cut my grocery budget to pay someone to do that.

I always said if i ever won a huge lottery that's the first thing I'd do. Hire someone to stand by to scoop poop and hold 'Da bird' for MowMow all day.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Interesting idea. Maybe it's just me but scooping the litter doesn't really bother me. I do it at least once, sometimes twice a day and then once a week the trays get completely emptied and scrubbed/disinfected. It really doesn't take that long and to me, having a dirty litter tray sitting outside waiting to be collected is more gross than me scooping it! I know some people HATE scooping though, my fiance for one absolutely refuses to do it so I can see how this service would be very useful for some people. I think it has potential to be a very successful business. Good on him for starting it up.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I must be missing something. He says "the price starts at $11 for one new clean box per visit". Let's aside where the price might end, and use only the starting point of $11. If I had only one cat, I would want at least one clean box per day, which would be $77 per week. At any less than one clean box per day, I think my house and my nose would suffer the consequences. Now, presumably Doody Calls isn't visiting daily, so now I'd have to store all these dirty boxes somewhere until the next pick-up. Now move along to the fact that I have two cats, and I'm now up to around $150 per week, with countless dirty boxes piling up. Heaven forbid I should ever adopt a third cat! On top of which, I like to monitor my girls bathroom habits for health reasons, something Doody likely isn't doing.

All in all, it's an interesting idea, but I'm not seeing the benefit. To end on a positive note, like October, I do like the name...Doody Calls! :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I must be missing something. He says "the price starts at $11 for one new clean box per visit". Let's aside where the price might end, and use only the starting point of $11. If I had only one cat, I would want at least one clean box per day, which would be $77 per week. At any less than one clean box per day, I think my house and my nose would suffer the consequences. Now, presumably Doody Calls isn't visiting daily, so now I'd have to store all these dirty boxes somewhere until the next pick-up. Now move along to the fact that I have two cats, and I'm now up to around $150 per week, with countless dirty boxes piling up. Heaven forbid I should ever adopt a third cat! On top of which, I like to monitor my girls bathroom habits for health reasons, something Doody likely isn't doing.

All in all, it's an interesting idea, but I'm not seeing the benefit. To end on a positive note, like October, I do like the name...Doody Calls! :)
When you work it out like that... WOW, expensive! I guess it just depends how much people don't like doing litter duty themselves.. It'd probably be most beneficial for those who didn't mind the actual scooping but hated scrubbing them out... Or people who didn't mind NOT scooping for a few days & had cats that would use a litter box that they've been in multiple times. I know personally, if I don't scoop ATLEAST every second day, my cats don't like to go in the dirty litter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Okay - so if you could go two days and had one cat - it now becomes much more reasonable if they pick up every other day AND you have a place to stash the (2 extra)boxes. You'd need a replacement box and one for emergency, like diarrhea. So the initial outlay would be higher - but if you had to buy those boxes that would be spendy too. Plus all the carrying and stopping at the store etc.

$35 a week is doable for almost everyone. That would be every other day. Of course you'd still need those two extra boxes to have in the house; so since we don't really know the pricing structure, I may be off. It's an interesting concept. I live in an area where people have lots of expendable income but not a lot of time. I don't have a job. I see opportunity!

If you could get a bunch of customers grouped together geographically, I think the business model makes lots of sense.

P.S. Hey, MowMow's Mom...wanna be my first customer? I'm in the NW too.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Salem, Oregon here. :) But I'm not forking out 77.00 a week :p. That's more than my grocery budget for two weeks.
Yeah, well Salem is a bit out of my comfortable driving distance....I'm north of Seattle. Oh, well. Keep buying the Lottery tickets.:wink

·
Banned
952 Posts
I don't mind scooping and cleaning - it's the lugging in of the 42 pound bags and the disposal of the waste produced by six cats that I have a problem with. Especially the waste - it's more than the city allows for curbside pick-up, so I have to lug it out to the car and bring it to either a local cat shelter's dumpster or in the dumpster of a local pet store. Both locations have given me the ok, but I really hate doing it. :?

If this guy would just bring me fresh litter and pick up the used litter, I'd be totally happy with that.

Well, what do you know, a branch works out of Boston and covers the city I work in, but not the city I live in.

Hmmm, I think I'm going to give him a call anyway.

AC

·
Banned
952 Posts
Ha,ha! Their greeting message says, "We are number 1 in the number 2 business!"

Just got off the phone with one of the company directors... no one owns a franchise in my area.

Bummer. :-(

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Too bad they're not in your area, AC. And, you're right...the main issue with litter boxes is what to do with the waste. So far, I'm still able to put mine out curbside, although I rarely do a full litter change-out because that would put me over the limit and I wouldn't know what to do with the old litter. So, I just scoop religiously and clean the boxes once a week, but I re-cycle the old litter, topping it up with new. And I only have two cats. I can imagine the problems you would face with six.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use SwheatScoop - it's flushable! It is the most amazing product. I just scoop one litter box at a time and flush after each box is scooped.
Living in a third floor condo and far from the dumpster it was a real hassle to have to take out the waste daily. Now I just flush it away. No smell, and I don't worry about the cats swallowing toxic material. It's made of wheat.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I looked into that, but regrettably I live in a somewhat rural area and have a biological septic system. As a result, there are a number of products I can't put down the drains or toilets, "flushable" kitty litter being one such product.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts