Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting her watching Tomi play with Ozzy (my Pomeranian), and he would bite him on the neck and mount him the way he would mount a female. He even started... erm... 'wiggling?' his hind end.

Should I be concerned about this at all? He's neutered. Just wondering what could trigger this behavior and if it's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It's not that uncommon for neuters to mount. Both males and females do it.

Trust me you are not the first one to ask. just search for the word "mounting" in Behavior.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
It's more likely a dominance thing rather than mating. Animals mount in order to show the one at the bottom who is boss.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned unless he is hurting your dog, and then I would interrupt and reprimand verbally or shake a can with pennies or distraction with a fishing pole toy. If the dog isn't concerned or bothered, I'd just leave them be. This is normal behavior with males especially neutered or not. Just curious how old your male was when he was neutered. Generally speaking the younger a malis neutered (4 months or earlier) the less he does this mounting behavior.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't bother Ozzy - he seems to think it's an alternative form of play. Haha.

I don't know exactly when he was neutered. He's 8 months old right now, and I presume that he was neutered at the same time he was declawed, so it was probably done when he was 6 months old or younger?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts