Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been going on for the last week and a half. For two days, Ody only ate 1/2 of his food (breakfast and no dinner) and did not act like he was starving. On the 3rd day, he ate fine. My boyfriend and I were going away for 3 days (had a kitty sitter and said he ate fine) and when we got back, he started the 1/2 day only again (this time it was dinner, no breakfast). He was acting 100% normal and seemed to have normal bowel movements so I thought it was just a thing or possibly just him getting bored of the same food.

For the last couple of days now, he'll eat a bit, then leave the rest. He's on a raw food diet, so the meat is not kept out for long. He plays normal, is definitely urinating, but has only pooed normally once in the last 3 days. Yesterday there were 3 little bits of ones, but not much else.

The vet says not to worry, to feed him some pumpkin (have not been successful thus far in giving it to him, even forcing it), and to go back in if nothing changes.

His behavior is still completely normal. Runs, jumps, plays, chases his pingpong balls - nothing to even give a small red flag. It's just his lack of eating and now little poop. I think he could be constipated, but his behavior is completely normal.

I called another vet for a 2nd opinion and immediately got resistance because of his diet so it wasn't very helpful.

He's been on raw for over a year and is 2 years old and is in-doors only with the exception of leashed walks every now and then.

I tried a couple of searches to see if anyone had a similar experience, but those that have constipation experience have really upset kitties who are in a lot of pain.

I know cats can hide pain well, but he really does not appear to be in any. If this is a phase of possible food-boredom, I'm stuck because, living in the city, I don't have much choice other than chicken, beef, and pork. He treats turkey the same.

The vet said not to worry, but I can't help but to... He seems to be thinner to me, but my BF says otherwise. I don't know if I'm just imagining it or not. :/

It's frustrating, but he is going in tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Try eliminating bone from his diet for several days. Too much bone in a raw diet can cause constipation. If your boy is a little constipated, removing the bone will give his digestive tract a chance to relax and any constipated material a chance to pass through.

I also recommend you buy a digital baby scale so you'll know exactly what's going on with his weight. My baby scale is an invaluable tool in keeping a handle on my cats' health.

Laurie

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have heard that too much bone (or eggshell or bonemeal, whatever you're using for calcium) can cause constipation. I could only suggest cutting the amount of bone you give him back a little and see if that makes any difference. Also you could try giving him a little more liver than usual, which I believe is supposed to help get things moving through their system. Other than that I might mention that my cats produce WAY less waste on raw than ever before, but if your cat has been on raw for over a year I'm sure you're familiar with how much he usually produces. I'd probably agree that any major change in that area should warrant a trip to the vet.

I'll also mention that grass makes my younger cat constipated - she eats it like crazy, swallows whole blades of grass. She rarely acts any differently when she's constipated, although when my older cat was switched to grain-free kibble she became very constipated and it was extremely obvious how uncomfortable she was. I guess every cat is different. Anyway if your cat nibbles the grass when you take him for walks try to keep him from doing that for the next little while.

I hope things go well for you at the vet tomorrow. With luck he's just going through a phase or something and will bounce back before you know it (although not before you spend money taking him to the vet, of course :razz:). Either way hopefully the vet can help put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's definitely not bone - I've been holding back since we've been back thinking the same and there hasn't been a difference.

I didn't think about the grass bit. He'll definitely be going on a walk tomorrow before the vet in addition with upping his liver intake. That could very well be the problem (he had more than usual last night and gobbled it all).

I'm hoping it's nothing too terribly serious and he's not an excellent hider-of-problems. OT, but my youngest brother has an extreme high tolerance to pain. He's broken his arm twice and the doctor didn't believe he did (because he was moving his arm around) and my brother didn't flinch. I'm hoping my Ody isn't the same!

Thank you for the tips! I'm glad he's acting normal, but still freaking that he's not eating as much as normal.

Just thought of this, but don't know if it's true... Ody is a Bombay and I've been told/read about that Bombays grow slower than a typical cat. Perhaps it's as simple that he's not going through puberty and growth spurts anymore :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts