Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since we found our 2 week our kittens (they are now 6 months), my 1-1/2 neutered male cat was just so moody. He would walk around the house crying and growling. He has also attacked my leg and bit me a few times out of anger. Often, he will walk up to my 14 year old and just whack her, growl, and walk away.

He has lived with these kittens for 6 whole months now. Yet, he is still just as moody as when we first found them. I have tried to just pick him up and calm him down with lots of love, but that makes him even MORE moody. I have tried give him a sharp NO, but that doesn't work either.

I am getting so fed up, but It's not like I would ever dump him at a pound or find him a new home.

What can I do to help him? :?

Thanks
Abhay

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It sounds like you need to take an entirely different approach, since what you've been doing isn't working.

What needs to happen is for your male cat to associate *good* things with the kittens. Praise and treats when they're all in the same room without conflict would help. Scolding him makes him associate something *bad* with the presence of the kittens, and that will make him even grumpier. Also, though your intention is good, picking him up may make him uncomfortable because of the restraint; he may prefer to be able to just watch those little devils without interference. :wink:

It may be a little too late for a re-introduction, after 6 months! (Which reminds me, are they spayed/neutered yet? If not, better get on it, because those teenage hormones will aggravate the problem).

But not to worry, there are other things to try. Feliway and flower essences such as Peacemaker or Bully (www.spiritessence.com) can definitely help. Engaging him with play therapy (see the article in our free article library, http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library) would help by working off some of his energy and making him feel more confident in his territory. Adding vertical space with a cat tree or ramps (www.katwallks.com) would expand the territory and allow them to come to better terms.

Anyway, there's a few things to try. My partner Jackson does behavior consulting so if you want some more specific, professional advice, that may be an avenue to explore.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thank you so much Dr. Jean. You will NEVER see an un-fixed animal in my house :D The kittens got neutered back in February, and my moody boy got neutered back at the pound when he was a few months old.

I know that when he gets mad, he runs to the door to be let out. I let him out because he wants to go out, but is that a good thing? Am I just teaching him that growling and crying will result in being let outside?

I just read about Play Therapy, and I am definitely going to try it!!! I know I have PLENTY of toys, but not a bird-like one. I have seen them before, and I am going to buy one in a few days. I will e-mail you after I try it for a few days and let you know how it works.

Thanks again
:D Abhay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts