Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat vomited up a hairball today along with a goodly amount of clear liquid. This evening, she has not been her usual hungry self and in fact, has opted to stay in 'her room' (the utility room) which she normally shuns except for feedings and litter box visits.

Can throwing up a hairball make her feel unwell? She didn't finish her food this evening either and didn't beg before hand as she always does. She played earlier in the day and polished off her breakfast as normal.

The food she is eating is the same she has had the past 3 or 4 days (I normally divide a 13 oz can of food into 1/4s and add a half can of another type food to each serving and then feed her half a container morning and evening.

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
Some cats have off days. I know that and I still worry when they do.

I think her appetite will be back in the morning, but if she's still like this tomorrow, I'd bring her to the vet on Monday.

In the meantime, you might try to tempt her with some of her favorite foods (even if they aren't good for her).

I hope she's back to herself shortly and it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She also just threw up what supper she did eat .. more than I thought she had, although not her whole meal.

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
Not good. :(

Could she have possible eaten something she shouldn't have? Like part of a toy, feather, etc.?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We don't keep feathered toys out and her other toys seem to be intact. She's a persian and did an inordinate amount of grooming this afternoon (and did vomit up a hairball). I wonder if there is more still in her stomach.

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
My little Persian tossed up a hairball at least twice a week, usually with a side dish of hairball soup. The vet said there was nothing wrong with her.She was fine other than that, though, no appetite loss or lethargy.

There could be another hairball on the way. If she's not better in the morning, maybe you shouldn't wait until Monday.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Give her a good dose of hairball remedy (or Vaseline) and see if that settles her stomach.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
It is possible for a large hairball to become lodged in the intestine and cause an obstruction similar to a foreign body ingestion or severe constipation. As doodlebug suggested, give her a good dose of hairball remedy to lubricate her digestive tract and hopefully help her pass whatever may be blocking her up. You can also try lubricating a q-tip with vaseline or mineral oil and gently inserting it into the anus (just barely inside) a few times. The insertion can cause involuntary contractures, hopefully helping to push out whatever may be stuck.

If she still can't keep food down by tomorrow, you should get her to your vet first thing.

Laurie

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took her to the emergency vet (ugh I hated him) and he didn't seem to think there was much wrong with her. He gave her an anti-nausea shot, but didn't think it was indicated to do blood work. I mentioned that she had a nasal discharge this morning, but he just said that flat nosed cats can have that (she hasn't had that in the 3 weeks we've had her). She seems to be stuffed up and can't breathe well through her nose at all. I'm not sure if the two things (vomiting/stuffiness, discharge, sneezed a couple of times) are related or two separate issues going on.

I was not happy at all with the vet, but didn't want to wait until Monday because she seemed so sick this morning with the slight nasal discharge and breathing through her mouth. Now I wish I had waited to see my regular doctor, since I will have to see him tomorrow anyway if there is no improvement.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Flat-faced cats are prone to nasal congestion and noisy breathing, but open-mouth breathing is NEVER normal and should ALWAYS be taken seriously by any competent vet.

Keep a close eye on her, and if the open-mouth breathing continues, get her to another emergency vet, if available. In the meantime, try putting her in a steamy bathroom for 15-30 mins and see if that will help drain her nasal passages and breathe easier. Try feeding her immediately after the steam treatment, while she can smell her food and trigger her appetite.

Please keep up updated on her condition.

Laurie

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took her to our regular vet today and they kept her for the day. He said there was something long and stringy in her colon and she was running 104 fever. She ate a little this morning, the first since she started throwing up Saturday. Still stuffy and sneezing occasionally, although he said the stuffiness may have been from aspirating when she was vomiting. He is giving her fluids subcutaneously hoping that will help her to move along whatever is in her colon and is also doing blood work. He gave her an antibiotic shot and a shot to bring down her fever.

They will call once they find out the results of the blood work. She has also lost at a 1/2 lb, which is a lot when you only weighed 6 lb 15 oz to begin with (she weighed 6 lb 8oz today at the vet, but I think she had put on a bit since I had switched her to canned so might have lost a bit more than 1/2 lb).

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Any idea what the long stringy thing is? It wouldn't be dental floss, would it? I just ask because I had a scare with Murphy eating dental floss, only to find out that he had never eaten it. At that time the vet said there was nothing they could or should do until we see if he eliminates it normally or not. Accckkk, it's frustrating, isnt it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I had to guess ... I would think it was hair. She spent an inordinate amount of time lying in my lap grooming Saturday. She threw up one hair ball that evening .. then had vomiting that night. Other than that, I have no idea!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts