Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was laid off on Jan 23rd and processed my claim on Monday the 26th. The website said it may take up to 30 days to process. On Friday I saw a message that said if it's been more than 21 days to call, so I did. They left me a message a little while ago that they are processing claims from the week ending Jan 10th. That means it will be 3 more weeks before they get to mine which will be a total of 7 weeks. And who knows how long after that to actually get back payment!!!! I understand that they're swamped but this is ridiculous. I'm OK for now, but there a plenty of people out there that I'm sure this is really hurting.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Re: Unemployment is about 7 weeks behind!!!

That's terrible! I know that when my son signed up for unemployment he was desperately waiting for his first check to arrive in 2 weeks! He would never have made it for 7 weeks.

I'm glad that you are ok.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Sign of the times, isn't it. You'd think they were staffed to meet demand where it's such a critical area to people. I mean, we're not talking about a waiting list for Super Bowl tickets.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Wow! Glad you are doing ok, but oh my word, the poor folks out there just waiting for some help! Sign of the times is right, and it isn't looking like it's going to get better anytime soon. :(

·
Registered
5,459 Posts

A friend of mine works is the unemployment office in Metairie. His job is secure. :roll:
Thoughts and purrayers that those checks come through.

·
Registered
408 Posts

that happened to my hubby too, but when they caught up to him, he got a HUGE check, 5 weeks worth.. just keep doing your weekly claims. :) Good Luck to you. Hubby is still unemployed and Unemployment ran out in December.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Update....

Based on being about 7 weeks behind I figured they should have gotten to me by last week. So I called a week ago Wed....

It seems I was an "OVERSIGHT"!!!!!! Apparently they decided that I needed to apply to Massachusetts instead of NH, but never bothered to tell me!!!!! I had to go to a local NH office and fill out paperwork to transfer the claim. The two witches behind the desk were less than helpful and one of them went on about how the Wages dept (the people that told me to go to the local office) were shoving their work on the local offices blah, blah, blah. All this and the place is empty. I managed to get the form filled out and walked out with the phone number for the office manager, who wasn't in, but might be able to answer my questions if I called her the next day.

When I got home I was reading the Mass website and it said that transferring the claim to them would take about 4 WEEKS! By then it would be almost 3 months without a check!!!! I called the office manager the next day, she was helpful, and we decided to have me withdraw my NH claim and apply directly to Mass.

So I call Mass. They wouldn't talk to me because it was Thursday and they'll only talk to people with a 2 at the end of their SS# on Friday. I also fax my withdrawl letter to NH.

On Friday I call Mass to file my claim. After 5 minutes of press 1 for this and 2 for that, entering my SS# and date of birth and listening to lectures on what constitutes unemployment fraud, they tell me that all representatives are busy, call back later and hang up on me. GRRRRRRR! This went on for 2.5 hours. I finally get through, get the claim made and all is good.

On Monday I get a message from NH asking what state I actually worked in. I call back and leave a message with the info, dreading that they were going to call again saying that sending me to Mass was a mistake. I get a call from them again this morning, asking the same stinkin' question. Get it straight with her and then she tells me she needs a letter stating I'm withdrawing my claim...hello! I faxed that to you on Thursday!

The good news is that Mass fast tracked my payments and I received a bunch of checks this week and I'm now up to date!!! Also in the good news department....Mass payments are $200 more a week than NH. I still have one issue I need to work with them, but other than the phone system, they seem to have their act together. And I did call this morning (I can still only call on Friday) and got through in 15 minutes.

Whew! This whole thing was pretty ugly! But in the end, I'm glad I was transferred to Mass.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I'm so glad it finally worked out for you! What an unbelievable hassle! I feel sorry for people who are not very paperwork literate to begin with. At least it sounds as if you know how to get things done.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
katlover13 said:
I feel sorry for people who are not very paperwork literate to begin with. At least it sounds as if you know how to get things done.
I agree, in these cases many people wouldn't know how to handle it. Good for you for keeping them on their toes! I'm so glad you were paid what you were owed, finally!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
doodlebug said:
I was laid off on Jan 23rd and processed my claim on Monday the 26th. The website said it may take up to 30 days to process. On Friday I saw a message that said if it's been more than 21 days to call, so I did. They left me a message a little while ago that they are processing claims from the week ending Jan 10th. That means it will be 3 more weeks before they get to mine which will be a total of 7 weeks. And who knows how long after that to actually get back payment!!!! I understand that they're swamped but this is ridiculous. I'm OK for now, but there a plenty of people out there that I'm sure this is really hurting.
Oh my gosh Lisa!
That is ridiculous! what the heck is going on??
I am very sorry :patback :patback

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

OVERSIGHT!! What the heck??? they should pay for their mistake but then again it's the government...
When will you see your first check??

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I received all my checks this past week, Maria. I'm all caught up now.

It is amazing how complicated they make this and if you're not really savvy, you might not get all the benefits you're entitled to. For example, because I had been laid off and then worked as an independent contractor before getting this job last year, I only had 6 months of qualifying wages which meant they were only going to give me <21 weeks of payments instead of the normal 26. By reading every detail, I found out that they only counted my wages up to Dec 31. They hadn't counted January. I have to submit an application to get them to count Jan, which will give me 3 more weeks of coverage. It's ridiculous that I had to figure that out and they don't automatically give you the best calculation. And when I called to ask about it, the woman actually tried to talk me out of doing it. Why would I give up the possibility of 3 more weeks of benefits that I could need if I don't have a job by then?

I really have to feel bad for the people who don't know any better to really question the whole process.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
A volunteer with us got laid off and kept trying to email and call the unemployment office about why she hadnt recieved her first check. They blew her off so she emailed them 100 times in one day. 8O Boy did she get a fast call the next morning. They were pissed but she said shed keep it up till they resolved it. Guess what it was immediately resolved! :wink:

I thought it was a clever solution. A bit nasty too but something in me cant feel sorry for them because they truely werent trying to help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts