Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I’m new to this site and hoping I can find some helpful advice on how to figure out what’s going on with my baby, Jax.
It began with random gagging/hacking motions and obvious signs of nausea, fatigue and discomfort. Especially when trying to eat of course. He could barely even get near a water bowl without gagging. Excessive licking lips as well.
I found him looking awful and wheezing in and out with his heavy breathing and took him to ER, everything looked great according to vet.
symptoms continued for days, very slowly improving, then I noticed a swollen area underneath one side of his chin. This lasted for about a day with no major discomfort and his symptoms continue to slowly improve. He had a neck and chest X-ray, after seeing another vet, and again had normal results.
He was back to his normal self and eating big meals the last few days until today when I noticed the gagging again. He seems to feel okay still.
Jax is only 2 and has had no other health issues. I am so worried about him and can’t stand not knowing what’s making him so uncomfortable. Has anyone else experienced this?
I did get a new kitten about 1-2 months ago that took a long time for Jax to adjust, but he eventually did and very well. He bathed and cuddled him. I can’t imagine that this would be a sudden change in his reaction to the kitten, but symptoms started the same day the kitten was neutered and the vets seem to dismiss this as unconcerning.
Any ideas or suggestions?!?!
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
You did all the right things by having him checked out by vets.....the only thing I can think of is that he's allergic to something. Has he had a food change? Maybe try a different food, preferably a canned one that doesn't have ingredients like wheat, soy or grains. Cats are obligate carnivores--meat eaters, and don't need vegetables and fruits in their diet.
Also, if your cat is going outdoors, he may be getting into something, eating it and this could be cause of his wheezing and gagging. Hope these suggestions can help. Give us an update on your baby Jax

Here's a very good article on Cat Nutrition Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so so much CatLoverAmi! I had just started thinking about this yesterday... he has always been on the same type of food and I did have to buy the original instead of grain-free last time. He’s been back on the grain-free for about a week but I’m thinking I need to just go ahead and switch to a whole different brand without wheat and all that as well.
I’ll read that article and start him on something new today!
Thanks again :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts