Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I officially got in trouble for feeding the stray cat, Moo, that would come around to my apartment.

For about a week an a half I continued to feed Moo in secret, I would leave food out in a bowl hidden underneath a chair every night, and even though I wouldn't always see Moo come, the food would be gone in the morning. I started increasing the food I put in the bowl, (its a pretty big bowl) until I had it filled to the top, and found in the morning that that would be completely gone too. I was shocked and surprised at this.
Then one night, Moo came early and I got to watch him eat. However, when he looked up, he had a bright pink nose, and I distinctively remember that Moo had a black nose. Curiously, I look around, and see Moo #1, waiting for Moo #2 to finish eating. I was excited and thrilled to see I was helping out Moo and his brother/sister, however I was disheartened at the fact that there is not only one hungry kitty, but now two.

I kid you not, it turns out, that Moo is only one in a litter of six. Three are black and white, one with a pink nose, one with a black nose, and one with a mustache pattern, one of them is all black, one of them is all gray, and one of them is gray and white. I discovered they had all been coming and eating out of the bowl at night, and then afterwords, prowling the complex.

That is when the complaints started coming in. Where there used to be one stray cat roaming around there were now six, and apparently people do not have a big enough heart just to let them be. They complained to the landlord and apparently I was discovered, and asked to terminate the feedings. I asked if they would at least call the SPCA or the humane society to come out and trap the animals, and they simply stated that the cats would go away as soon as I stopped feeding them.

I called both the SPCA and the Humane Society myself, and for some reason they BOTH told me they were unable to help since I am on a privately owned property, they are not allowed to trap animals on the premises without the owner's consent.

So, I guess we are back to square zero. I'm afraid to set up traps and get into more trouble myself, and I have discontinued to feed. It breaks my heart as Moo and usually one or two of his siblings still come every night to my door begging for food. It was two close of a call, and I was lucky they didn't ask why I had cat food in the first place, as I my two house-bound kitties are unkown by them. I really can't risk rocking the boat anymore and risk losing my babies here.

Its a terrible situation and It makes me question humanity as a whole :(

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Did you speak with management again after you called the SPCA and humane society? Maybe let the management know that the humane society would be willing to come and trap them (ie do all the work) as long as they were allowed to do so. It seems like that would be the least amount of effort for the management.

Worth a shot anyways, especially if you act sad/upset about the future for these cats. DON'T act angry or mad, but concerned. I would think, since they wouldn't have to actually DO anything, the management would be fine with letting the SPCA trap the cats.

Alternatively...See if the cats will let you touch them and see if you can't get them into a kennel. It's worth a shot, but if they are completely feral it won't work.

Maybe see if you can get this group to help out or offer any suggestions: Alley Cat Allies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.