Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bad habits have you taught your cat?

I have unintentionally taught Gadget to play fetch... with a bit of a twist. She quite enjoys batting around crumpled balls of paper. Whenever her games wind up in the computer area I pick up her ball and toss it across the room in an attempt to direct her AWAY from the computers.

This was clearly not a well-thought plan. Now she is under the impression that it's a game of fetch. So yes, my cat plays fetch (which I've always wanted), but instead of bringing the ball to me she drops it by the computer desk :? .

(The first evening she figured out this little game she played herself into exhaustion and started panting 8O .)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My husband taught Talley to flop on the floor in front of us when we walk in the house. She completely trusts us not to step on her. And sometimes that is hard.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
my cat likes balls of paper and plays fetch too - usually when I'm on the computer as well. however, I think the bad habit part is that any time we have some sort of paper trash like receipts that we crumple up, she comes running expecting to play!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The difference, I think, is that my cat drops the ball at the computer desk regardless of where in the room I am.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
We've taught Murphy the bad habit of, "If I meow loud enough and irritating enough, they'll let me out in the backyard! Whoa, that's a good game!"

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Muffin plays fetch, with milk rings. I think it's about the cutest thing EVER! lol

The other day I was having a very bad day, so what does little love-muff do? Brings me the milk ring, over and over and over. How can you be upset with a cute little (....well he used to be little!) orange kitty purring up a storm and trying to play with you? Well, you can't, lol.

As for bad habits....We've taught the cats not to go on the counter (not that they're very good at it...) so Muffin, Doran, and Jitzu all get off when I say "Off!" In my mommy voice. Torri...is spoiled. And so is much slower to get off when told. Sometimes she doesn't. If any other kitty were to do this they would get a squirt from the water bottle. Torri? Torri gets gently lifted of the counter and placed somewhere else. lol...oops.

Also, when Doran was teeny (like 3-4 weeks) he had to be with me everywhere. I was mum so he had to follow me. If he couldn't see me he'd start crying. So I would pick him up and put him on my shoulder. He doesn't do it to me (because I don't let him) but anyone else who picks him up ends up having 12lbs of kitty on their one shoulder...lol I think it's cute, his daddy might disagree though.

Something else that kinda just happened is how talkative our kitties are. Jitzu especially loves to talk to me. Torri picked it up from her, but mostly whines *sigh* the little princess. Doran has a silly little girly voice, doesn't suit him at all, but he 'cries' if he 'loses' me. (meaning he goes downstairs or upstairs, realizes he's alone and cries.) Muffin only really gets going at dinner. My fault 'cause I always ask "Muffin, are you hungry?" And he'll meow back. Now he meows as I make dinner...*sigh*

Such sassy kitties we have, lol.

To the OP if you want her to bring it to you, go pick up the paper ball and bring it somewhere else. Get her excited then throw it again. When she goes to it and picks it up try and get her to come to you. If you do that and keep moving around they get the hang of bringing it to you...but beware! You may be playing a LOT of fetch! lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts