Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I logged into my email today and downloaded a piece of spammy-looking email whose subject caught my attention: "Unbelievable... ANIMALS are Dying Needlessly!"

The email goes into dramatic, capslocky detail about how this rescue, "Here Kitty Kitty", had their profile removed somehow from PetFinder. It calls for recipients to email certain addresses with our outrage, as this removal from PetFinder has resulted in many, many otherwise adoptable animals being killed. The ranting goes on through the entire email. An example:

Through this process we have been emailed by others stating they too were dropped for posting animals in high shelters that were not actually in their care. We are all just trying to save the animals from being killed and thrown in gas chambers!!!! There is NO need for them to die when the rescues can find them homes. THIS MUST STOP!!!!

Please don’t forward this email. It defeats the entire purpose. START A NEW EMAIL to Petfinder.

They think we will go away... we wont. We can't. Too many animals’ lives depend on it!
Only picture that with the first paragraph blue, the second bold, black text with yellow background, and the last in red. Now, I'm not cold and callous. I might have been sympathetic to their plight... but the first part of the email? Was this:

I can’t believe you received the letter below and wouldn’t take five minutes of your time to send an email for the animals.
8O 8O 8O

I've never heard of these people in my life! I don't know the person who sent this email ([email protected]), I've never even seen this email before. It's spam, plain and simple.

Heads up for this. I don't know how I got on this mailing list, and you all might have ended up on it. Some of you might be 'kinder' than I am... but holy cow. I don't care what their cause is when I get such a rude, nasty letter.

The nerve of some people!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't know if what you got was spam but if a lot of folks on this site start getting the same email we'll know.

Some preditory spammers use boards like this one to gain something. One gun board I belong to has had problems with people spamming the membership. They (the adminstration) put some kind of program in place to try to stop this.

·
Registered
878 Posts
In doing a little research I found 2 cat adoption organizations using this name.

Here Kitty Kitty is in Paterson, NJ (USA), and they currently have multiple pets listed on Petfinders.

Here Kitty Kitty Adoptions (regularly referred to as HKKA) in Elfers, FL (USA) is listed on Petfinders with a link to the HKKA website, but currently has no pets listed.

The HKKA website shows they are sponsored by Petsmart and have regular adoptions there. The letter REALLY sounds like it was written by someone not actually authorized to begin such an e-mail campaign. The HKKA website looks professional, and doesn't have any of the high-energy vitriol of the e-mail you mentioned, and it also makes NO mention of Petfinders or any altercation with them.

EDIT: Doing another search on "Here Kitty Kitty NY413" which is mentioned in the e-mail brings up a link where a shelter called KittyResq allegedly adopted out a terminally ill kitten (presumably they knew about it) and someone wrote a letter to Fox news to complain about it. This place is located in New York. I think this is the shelter mentioned in the e-mail, because it makes reference to a Barbra who is also mentioned in the e-mail the OP referenced.

It seems like Here Kitty Kitty (of New York) is either currently known as KittyResq or used to be known as KittyResq. The language used on the only website I could find for them (http://members.petfinder.com/~NY413/pets.html) is more like the language used in the e-mail.

Not sure what to make of any of it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've figured out how I ended up on this mailing list. A few years ago, I drove rescue transport for a dog going from Ohio to Kentucky. I picked up a leg that went through my town and handed him off in Columbus to the next driver. After that, I started getting an odd email here or there, asking for drivers. It's been years since I recall getting an email from that list.

It looks like this person went and lifted all those addresses from forever ago and is using them for this little campaign. It's totally inappropriate - it was unsolicited, and this email was just plain rude.

People like this ruin my day. :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts