Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have stories (who am I kidding? You all must!) of their cat's doing unusual things? Eg, learning how to open doors of various types, or drawers or just interesting behaviors that seem unique or scarily intelligent?
(I'm not talking MIS-behaviors, just different, weird or wonderful ones).
:lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have this little cabinet in the kitchen I keep the canned cat food in. Spyder knows this and will scratch on the door like crazy when he wants to eat and if it isn't feeding time yet he grabs onto the handle with both paws and pulls tho door open!! :lol:
Then sometimes if he still hasn't been fed he will pull out all of the cans onto the floor!!! :roll:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Frodo loves to look at himself in the mirror. He also loves to catch you in the reflection looking at him. It's a little unnerving; he is so self-aware.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Thankfully my kitties aren't that brilliant (sorry, little guys, I love you!), except for Ginza, and I've mentioned what he's done before. He can flush the toilet (just for fun), he can turn the faucet so he can play with the water (round knob not lever). He can open all the kitchen cabinets, so we've had to install locks. Once I caught him doing it with the other 3 cohorts lined up behind him ready to get into the cabinets after he opened them.

At 3 mths old he made us aware of how smart he was, when he opened our bedroom door (round knob too). When you play with him, you can tell he's trying to figure out your next move, and that he's thinking.

He's now trying to figure out how to open the front door, by staring at me when I'm doing it, then trying it out right afterwards. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well my current cat is adorable but she hasn't displayed any amazing abilities yet (except for digging herself into my heart and snuggling in for the long haul!). However one of my inspirations for getting my own kitty was looking after a friend's little man for 2 months while she was overseas. Well Simba (silly name since he's the most cowardly cat in the world - would go hide for hours if the toaster popped!) had some amazing abilities, but his best trick was with a glass of water. Indeed nobody believed he could do this until I brought my mother over and she saw it for herself: Put down a glass of water in front of him. Now he would get his paw and dip it in (like a hand), scoop up water and lick it off - in effect drinking it. Well so he was doing this thing, and it was so adorable and I said to him "Now Simba why don't you just go and drink it directly with your tongue?" and I swear, he put his paw down and bent down and started drinking the water - on command! :) It was so cute.

Another time he wanted to explore my wardrobe. Now it was early in the morning and I am nOT a morning person, but I opened the sliding door, and let him go in and check it out. Well he came out in due course satisfied all was in order, and so I closed the door again and went back to bed. Well as cats will he decided about 2 minutes later that he wanted to check it out again, so sat there and meowed at me in his imperious and commanding tone that his servant should open the door again. Well I said something a little impolite, but to the effect of "no" and so he turned around, stuck his rear at me and put his paw up and opened the door himself, and as he walked in he turned and looked at me, and the expression on his face was just priceless. It was a very smug "ha! See I don't REALLY need you!" lol.

·
Registered
917 Posts
they can open the cabinet under the sink (which has no handles) along with the bedroom dorr and the closet door. when cujo wants me to pay attention to him or to feed him he jumps up on my desk or the table (both places he knows he's not supposed to be) and looks at me. if i don't do anything, he will carefully knock something off and look at me again. repeat until i get up, then he jumps off and runs into the kitchen.

·
Registered
252 Posts
One of mine opens and hides inside the kitchen cabinet, under the sink. She is anti-social and hates the other cats, so she stays in there a lot. She just sits under there staring at the wall at the back of the cabinet. Sometimes the other cats tease her and scratch at the cabinet door.... hehe... makes her sooo mad. :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Eddie is pretty smart- he has figured out how to open the sliding door and let himself out (only when it isn't locked). Last Friday after work I went to my bedroom to change and I heard him on the deck crying to come in. I leaned out the window to talk to him. Right above the deck we have a lattice roof that you can see through and I was talking to him through that. He looked around as if to figure out how to get up there, jumped up on the railing and did a vertical jump straight up onto the roof, walked over and jumped into my bedroom window. I think he has springs in his back legs!

:lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Both Caesar and Cleo know the word "no." They also know when I call them to "come here," they either come or Caesar rubs his head on the ground with his paws up, saying you come here. When I tell them "up," they'll stand on their hind legs. So cute. :p

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I love reading about all these wonderful antics!! Great thread.

Have another one to add, I remembered that Mozart learned how to slide the patio screen door open. Surprised the heck out of me. And here I thought he was kinda slow. :oops:

·
Registered
611 Posts
My cat is convinced that he's driving a racecar most of the time. Whenever he trots around the apartment, he will make vroom noises. "vroom vroom vroom vroom vrooooooom". If he started smoking cigarettes it would sound even more like an engine, right now his voice is too high pitched.

He's got some of the other usual stuff too. Like being fascinated with the toilet. And making the 'oof' noise when he jumps onto or off of ledges. Late at night, 2 or 3pm, he usually jumps on my bed and kneads my stomach for a good 20 minutes while I am half asleep and sometimes integrate it into my dreams.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sabby doesn't like it when I dance. I don't blame him; I'm a horrible dancer. If I dance when he's around, he'll bite my legs.

He's never learned anything cool, though.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yoda prays (I talked about it here some time ago). She sits on her back legs and moves her paws (looks like when person is praying). It's so cute. My in laws so her doing it and they couldn't belive it!

She also hunts shadows. If I turn on the lamp only and move my fingers, she is catching the shadow on my fingers. So cute!

They both do the "ooof" sound when they jump on something or off something.

Dunga likes to play with the fish tank - but that's probably not unusual for a cat.

They are still small....Im sure they will learn more in the future...:)

Oh, and if I exercise on a mat at home...They bug me big time! It's impossible to do yoga here...they jump on my head all the time!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Caesar can open doors too. But what's cool is that I have this hallway door that can be towards the hallway. Caesar opens the door by putting his paws under the door and pulling. It's soo cute. :D

My Cleo likes to chase the computer's mouse on screen and she chirps to lure the bird to the window. I never heard a cat chirp and Caesar never chirps.

Does anyone else's kitty chirp? :lol:

·
Registered
237 Posts
i don't know if my cats chirp but they kinda cackle... when they see the laser pointer or get really excited about chasing something that's not in reach :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
Annissa said:
Sabby doesn't like it when I dance. I don't blame him; I'm a horrible dancer. If I dance when he's around, he'll bite my legs.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Oh yes, as for doors...

When I brought my second cat home from the humane society, she was pretty scared and nervous for a while. She learned (or already knew) how to open the kitchen cabinets. Basically she keeps batting it until she can stick her head in and then it closes behind her. She did this quite a lot. Occasionally the door would remain open, I guess because she had an incredible hulk moment.

Anyway after about 5 or so times of me finding her there, my other cat started trying to open the cabinets. He doesn't seem to really understand the technique, though. He tends to use his front paws for everything, so I guess he assumes that they will not let him down in this case. It's been almost a year now and he still doesn't seem to have opened them successfully.

My first cat I am generally convinced is not as bright as he could be. It took him a long time to realize that he can go to the other side of a door if he knocks a toy under it. Also, he seems to think that he would be able to open a door if he could stick his paw under it far enough. Like trying to lick your elbow or something.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
meeooww said:
My Cleo likes to chase the computer's mouse on screen and she chirps to lure the bird to the window. I never heard a cat chirp and Caesar never chirps.

Does anyone else's kitty chirp? :lol:
Our Yoda chirps all the time! :)

And Dunga catches mouse on the screen too. It's funny!

How can the cats open the doors? I wish I could see it! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
September chirps all the time when she is at the window watching the birds! I couldn't believe it when I first heard it, she was imitating them. It was too cute! :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts