Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2-year-old female has an increasingly worse cold that I'm worried about. She just had a few sniffles when we brought her home from the shelter. Her nose was runny and but it was watery and clear. Now it's just icky snot 8O She will make noises like her nose is stopped up, then she'll just sneeze nasties all over the place. She'll be fine for an hour or two then will do it again.

I've been putting her in the bathroom with me when I take a shower, hoping that the steam will help clear her sinuses. Is there anything else I can do? I'm taking her to the vet soon but just wanted to see what I could do in the meantime.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It sounds like an Upper Respiratory Infection. The steamed up bathroom was an excellent idea. When my mother-in-law's cat, Bart had it it was similar to what you are describing and it was pretty bad. He got antibiotics for more 10 days. I was also giving him L-Lysene and Easter-C Powder in order to boost his immune system. He is an old kitty and it took him longer and more help to recover. I mixed his vitamins in his yoghourt or canned food. I can't remember the dosage right now.
Best of luck with your kitty - please let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

Took Daisy to the vet Saturday and he gave her some antibiotics that seem to be helping. She's still a snotty-cat, though :(

Interesting note: our vet is the same vet that Guiness World Record holder Grandpa Rex Allen went to, as well as the owners second cat, Cremepuff, who is 37-years-old now! Needless to say, I definitely trust that the vet will take care of our cat, lol!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting note: our vet is the same vet that Guiness World Record holder Grandpa Rex Allen went to, as well as the owners second cat, Cremepuff, who is 37-years-old now! Needless to say, I definitely trust that the vet will take care of our cat, lol!
Wow! 8O I would love to have my cats live that long! What lucky people.

~Heather

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My cat has an URI (got her from the shelter on 06-21).

Took her to the vet this past saturday and he put her on antibiotics (liquid, administered twice daily).

It's now Thursday and she's still just as icky as she was. Snotting everywhere... I won't let her on the furniture... it's gross :| Last night it looked like something was wrong with one of her eyes.... it was watery and kind of gunky looking. Good thing is that she's still somewhat active, is eating and drinking just as good as any other cat, and is still very affectionate.

How much longer is this going to last? Have I given it enough time? She just had a few sniffles when we brought her home on June 21st, but within a few days it had turned into total nastiness.... and is still that way.

:(

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
When Bart had it - it lasted for about more than a week. What you are describing about your baby with the snotty everywhere is exactly what poor Bart was going through - had to wipe the walls and all around. And I didn't mind that at all but just like you I was really concerned - since he is really old. He didn't experience the eye problem - for that matter you need to go back to the vet in order to get some eye ointment.
All of these symptoms might be caused by Feline Herpes Virus. Some cats may have it but it lays dormant all their life - or it can just act up at want point in time due to stress.
The crushed L-LYSENE helped a lot ..and so did the Easter C powder. They are both vitamins that will help boost your kitty's immune system. You must consult with your vet however what is best to administer to your baby and in what quantities.
Best of luck and keep us updated :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts