Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10/20/2003 Update

My Vet prescribed Reglan to my cat. It's a pro-mobility medicine that is suppose to help the movement in his GI tract so that food moves through him easier.

It seems to have a weird side effect, my cat seems A LOT MORE active..... he constantly comes to me, and I don't know what he wants.... but he's bitten me TWICE HARD!!! ANd that's the first time he has ever bitten me this hard (puncture wounds).

He has vomitted once since the visit (3 days)...... I am hoping this works. I have also changed his food to Nutro Max.... I will no longer endorse Iams or Hill's.

Hi Everybody, I'm new to this forum, and my name is David. My Male 4 year old orange tabby is Mentos.

He has been strictly indoors for 4 years now, and has not encountered any major problems. However for the past month and 1/2 he has had chronic vomitting. The frequency was up to once a day, every day for a week, maybe stop for a day or two and would start up again. I am not sure if this is a cat behavior, but he would vomit once, and about 10 seconds later vomit again, with less.

Sometimes it's hairballs, sometimes it's eating too fast (chunks of food) but most of the time it's just bile colored liquid. I don't understand what is causing this. He is perfectly normal before and after the fact.

I feed him Science Diet weight reduction formula, and just that. I will provide more details if I'm missing anything, but any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
My male can no longer tolerate dry cat food. He throws up, just like yours. I feed him canned food now. Nutracal and treats can help, also. Of course, your should check with the vet for a health problem first.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Perhaps your cat is just sensitive to one of the ingredients in the food. Does your SD food have corn listed high on the ingredients? If so, you may want to consider switching to a meat-based food like Canidae or Nutro, etc. Just read the labels. Or, like Jeannie said, switch (at least partially) to a good canned food. Someone here posted a good link about how canned food may actually be better for cats anyway, which is against what we've all been hearing for years now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
One of my cats has always had trouble with digesting fish. Anytime I fed her canned food with fish or seafood she would be sick almost immediately. Maybe your cat has a similar sensitivity? Also, once I switched my cat to a brand of dry food with no dyes (my mom had her on Friskies while I was away at school) she stopped vomiting pretty much completely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting..... I am thinking that he has developed a sensitivty to his food as well. However, can an allergy be developed? I mean, he has been fine for a while now.

Another thing that I've noticed is that he isn't as clean of a eater as he use to be. Broken bits of food are littered everywhere around his food bowl. I watch him eat and food is falling out of his mouth as he's chewing (he bites up 1 piece at a time and chews it outside the bowl) He use to never have food pieces fall outside, he was very clean... now 1/3 of the food is outside, and he refuses to eat it.

Lastly, his vomit is liquid... no signs of aggressive eating or lack of chewing. I dilluted his vomit in water to see the contents, and there was no hair... just sandy particles of food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That does it... I'm taking him to the vet tommorow...... I live in a area where vets WAY overcharge for visits ($50 to exam, $140 for xray, $150 for sedation).... crazy huh? Well I found one a few miles out that charges a little less.... hopefully they're a good one.

He had a E-Collar on for over a week when he had a freak paw injury a month ago (about when all this madness started), I was wondering if he was use to NOT being able to eat properly, thus developing a habit..... if so... how do I reverse this eating habit?

I'll have his teeth checked tommorow, along with x-rays, and whatever else I can get. Poor kitty... he hates vets..... :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts