Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's almost been a year, and we still live with a baby gate.

We actually put Bartleby on Amitriptyline last month. It made him groggy and sleepy all the time, but he still wanted to kill Joon, but didn't have the energy. Once we bumped the dose down to every other day (per the vet), he went back to being even crazier. Knocking things off shelves at night, etc.

Still lost.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
I feel your pain, I've been living in a house divided in two since June of last year. Like you, even the meds didn't work. I'm at a total loss, I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Whatever it is that Bartleby doesn't like about Joon (or maybe any other cat for that matter) doesn't sound like it will change. In fairness to Joon, keep Bartleby and rehome her perhaps as an only cat. No cat should have to live in fear of being attacked every time it moves or doesn't. I had a situation like yours and had to keep mine separated. My female was too shy to rehome, and when her tormentor half-brother died, she was a very happy cat and felt free to show affection to me and hubby. By this time she was 15 and only had 2-1/2 yrs until she too died.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand.

But in fairness to US, we love BOTH cats. We're not getting rid of either cat. Plus, if we WERE going to re-house one of them, we'd pick Bartleby, because a) we WANT 2 cats. and b) Joon is the calm one that doesn't jump on things, break anything on a shelf, etc.

But I emphasize, we love Bartleby and Joon WAY too much to re-house either of them. They're our cats. It would seriously be like taking a kid to an orphanage to us. Even if it was actually taking one to another house.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I totally understand about your love for both of them and how it would feel to even contemplate giving one of them up. Well, you've already decided to keep both of them so you'll have to work with that in mind.

I briefly read over your other thread about them. A lot of ideas were presented by other members and I'm not sure what else to add. Sometimes, the relationships get better with time and sometimes, it never does. I hope Bartleby will become more mellow with age. In the meantime, I'm afraid it'll have to be a divided housing arrangement for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts