Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
We have been doing all the recommeded things for a slow introduction - switching rooms, feeding on opposite sides of the door, openin the door for brief sniffs, etc.

Today is day 12.

We have started face to face introductions tonight. Tugger & Frosty are in our bed room (favorite room in the house - normally off limits!). We have them blocked in with stacked baby-gates (we've been getting them use to being in their like this for the last month).. The babies have "run of the house".

Frosty (black one) gave them a sniff through the gate and walked off to take a nap.

Tugger (grey one) is at the gate and has done some growling when face to face with one of the babies (who backs off, but they don't seem scared - just backing off). There has been no hissing, spitting, or smacking....and when they are not right in front of them, he is just watching them.

We figure we will keep things this way until Tugger loses interest in this.

How does all this sound?

Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
It sounds like it's going great. Like I mentioned on your other thread, the introductions with my bratz lasted about one day. Cinderella and Cleo let them know when they were getting out of hand (a nice bop on the head).

When the twins were tiny, Cinderella had a LOT of patience

When they got a little bigger, not so much :grin:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Sounds good! I'd suggest one of two things, depending on which you're more comfortable with:

a) Find more opportunities to get them next to each other on either side of the gates in the next day or so...close up and personal, so to speak... such as feeding, play sessions, etc., and see how they react. Give them opportunities to get close. For example, dangle string on either side of the gate and let them chase it. You can also exchange their places for a few hours each day, if you're not already doing that (put the babies in the bedroom and give the older cats the run of the house). If all goes well when they're together by the gates, move to supervised sessions with all four in the same room and see how things go.

b) Move to supervised sessions tomorrow...since, based on your descriptions, it sounds like they might be ready. However, you're the only one able to see the cats firsthand, so if you're more comfortable waiting a few days, then you should do so.

As another alternative, when moving to supervised sessions in the same room, you might also try one cat at a time (i.e., both babies together with only one of your older cats), and then move to all four at the same time.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Great advice. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys!

We've been doing the kitty-room-shuffle for 11/12 days. All has been great - even tonight's first full face contact wasn't too bad - just Tuggers low growls. The growls stopped when the offending kitten found something more interesting than a grouchy curmudgeon!

We are in n hurry, so we will probably continue like this until Tugger settles down.

And i think you guys are right - meet one cat at a time. That will likely be Frosty as he seems very friendly towards the kittens - even briefly playing through the baby gates!

I'll keep everyone updated. :)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I'm still positive this is a terrible idea and that Penny should be sent away from all that danger of those savage adult cats.

My mom is in Florida right now, I can send her right over to pick up Penny and deliver her here. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MowMow! LOL! Send your Mom....we are about 90 miles south of Miami!

J.K!

I hope today goes well. :) Updates later....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! I will see if I can get more pics this week - I was super busy today (blacksmith day)..

BUT I did allow Frosty two separate 45 minute face-to-face time with the kittens - all together. It went really well (I think!). Both kittens were purring and trying to rub against Frosty who was pretty accepting of the attention. When I sensed he'd had dis fill of the kittens, I put him back on the other side of the baby-gate.

The only negative response was a mild hiss if one of the kittens startled him or was too persistant in trying to rub all over him.

Today they had a full day of visual contact (baby-gates keeping everyone safe)....and today Tugger seemed less crabby with the kittens - even poking a paw through the gate in a playful way....so some progress where he is conceerned.

All in all, a good day with positive experiences all around!

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
All kitties look so sweet and innocent while they're sleeping!

Adorable!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK - they are all together - and it is kitten/cat mayhem in the house!

Everyone is together and doing terrific! Much better than I expected - they are playing together!

We'd let them have some time with Frosty....then Tugger...seperately. Today is the first time they've all been loose together.

I'll try and get some pictures - but they are running ALL OVER THE HOUSE! LOL!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is another crummy cell phone picture - too tired to drag out all the camera gear tonight!

So far, I've only been able to get three together at one time - they're all ver the place!

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
How fun!!!! I remember when the twinz were little, they ruled the house (still do).

Keep taking lots and lots of pictures, they grow up so fast!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Marie...it was really fun to watch the dynamics tonight! Tugger seems totally intreagued by Penny.

Everyone is seperated for the night.

Tomorrow I will bring out the DSLR and get some good photos. :)

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
What fun! The kittens are beyond adorable! Hubby and I are just loving all your photos. (Tugger looks so much like Gracie!)

:) Fran

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fran - I'll pull Tuggers papers...it's possible they are related. Our breeder is in N.C. but she also purchases from other breeders all over the country.

I remember Tugger's dad is "GC Stonehaven Oh Basil of Britasweet".

·
Registered
208 Posts
It is really cool how they are getting comfortable to be in each other’s company. They don’t seem to have any problems with that. It is a big advantage for you. :)
Thank you for posting pictures! You know, we kitty lovers are all the time eager to see some! Your kitties are absolutely adorable. Please, keep us updated on how is it going!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay - tonight's update is a video of the kittens playing and the cats observing..by the time I got around to taping, the cats were tired of playing.....but not the kittens!!!

Sorry about the messy room - we're unpacking from one trip and re-packing for another. *sigh* Such a mess.

The video is on photobucket - click on the still photo to see video -

1 - 20 of 23 Posts