Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night her owner took off and he hasn't been home since, leaving her to wander around the neighborhood by herself....doubt after 24 hours, she even had food left in the garage he has her in, if she even had food at all. I checked on her at 3:00am and she was running way down the street.

Anyways, I brought her in for a little while last night and then today, when I came home, she came up to my door crying, so, I let her in again. I finally got a hold of the lady who wanted her and she asked me if I was willing to take the cat to the vet and she'd pay for everything, even the gas. So, I grabbed her and she, right now is at the vet, scheduled for spay tomorrow morning and getting treated for fleas and worms and tested for feline leukemia. The lady is willing to pick her up when she's ready to leave the vet and keep her, but, I'm still worried about my neighbor pointing the finger at me, beings I'm the one he knows, cares about her and was taking care of her, but, I also don't want to place her back in a home where she was clearly being neglected. Medically he wasn't taking care of her needs letting her have worms and not getting that taken care of, having fleas, leaving her by herself for 2 nights now and not feeding her properly...she weighed in at 6 pounds, which the vet said was underweight, which could be due to the worms or fleas, lack of food or all the above. I want what's best for her, but, my stomache is in knots worrying about getting in trouble, or making an enemy and having problems when I just moved in here 10 months ago and moved due to neighbors last year. Plus my landlord lives 3 apartments away and if the neighbor suspects it's me and calls the cops, I may get in trouble with him, so, I don't know what to do.

I don't understand the laws anyways....woman here almost got in trouble for feeding a feral colony, but, someone that neglects their cat gets away with it and has more rights then the poor cat.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I am SO happy to read your post. Congratulations, you did the right thing! This is great news. :wink

-Your neighbor already dislikes you. So who cares. He's an idiot anyway.
-He was away for more than 24 hours. The cat just got lost. Play dumb, do the "where is your cat? You left her alone for two days?!?!" act and that's it. I know you can succeed on that. Don't be nervous.
-And the most important thing, NOBODY can blame you about anything, did you feed the cat sometimes? yes. Did you offer him to take her to a vet? yes. Did you let her inside for a couple hours? Yes. But you DID NOT take the cat and you are very, very sorry that after all your effort, now the cat is gone for good, probably dead somewhere.

You see? sounds great. You can do it. Please don't take the cat back to that man. All the effort would have been in vain; she'll go back to fleas and worms and pregnancy and hunger. And this time she might die on the road for real. This is the time to end this nightmare.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think you are doing the right thing. Laws dont protect animals the way they should. If it was a child that had not been fed and left outside wandering what would you do?, to me it's the same. People say omg it's just a cat, well to me my cats are my children. They dont have a voice and they need someone to stand up for them and do the right thing. Much hugs for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He still hasn't come home, been gone 2 nights and going on 2 days now and it just blows my mind how he can go away like that and know his cat is always wandering around. I mean, after 2 days of, we all know, not having someone lined up to come check on her, she, I'm sure, ran out of what food, if any, he had out for her. As cold as it's been, who knows if he even had any water out for her, if it froze and he wants her??? WHY??? I just can NOT understand why....he treats her so bad and don't deserve her and she is just the sweetest cat and all she wants is a warm, loving indoor home. When I had her in, well, my son has a heated mattress pad and she was in heaven laying in bed with him sleeping. I know the lady who's taking her doesn't want to give her back if she don't have to and as of now, he hasn't even been home to realize she's gone. I'm about to check on her right now, she was scheduled for spay today and I want to make sure she was picked up and is doing okay.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I really wouldn't stress out or worry about him. If he does show up and point the finger.... /shrug "Did you lock her in? I hope she didn't get hit by a car!" and that's the end of the conversation. You didn't lie... Did he lock her in? YOu would hope she didn't get hit by a car.

Don't make excuses or hem or haw. Just express your concern that she is gone and hope that she's ok. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Congrats, I also think you did the right thing. Although he's technically the owner, he's forfeited those rights the moment he started to neglect her well-being and especially after disappearing for 2 nights/2days.

·
Registered
683 Posts
He still hasn't come home, been gone 2 nights and going on 2 days now and it just blows my mind how he can go away like that and know his cat is always wandering around.
You see!! He just doesn't give a ****!!! Just do what Krissy says, don't give any excuses, YOU ask him: "What? you left her for 2 days?" and that's the end of the story.

I'm so happy for the little girl, this is so cool! I hope she's doing great at the vet :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unless he has documentation that the cat is his, he can't prove it one way or another, even if he does call the cops. I agree with the others -- You did the right thing. And frankly, I doubt he'll do much more than notice that she's gone. If he even notices that!

We took in a cat that the owners neglected, but sadly by the time we got her, she had a cancer on her nose, and could not be saved. I had already decided that I would fight him tooth and nail for that cat. We made the last few months of her life very happy, and I blame him for the neglect that prevented a quick diagnosis of the cancer. We tried to have the cancer removed, but it ate into her nasal cavity, and we had to make the tough decision. For the record, he never came looking for her.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just wanted to chime in here and say that I really admire what you've done. I agree with everyone here - you have definitely done the right thing. I'm sure by now you're tired of hearing this but the guy who had this cat before is a complete jerk! You did right by the cat when no one else would, and I can only imagine how grateful she must be for that.

Even if he DOES come up to you and accuse you of taking his cat, he has absolutely no proof. Act innocent and never ever admit to anything. He does not have a leg to stand on, and there's no reason you should ever have to bring the cat back to him. Most likely he won't even care that his cat has disappeared but even if he does there are SO MANY things that can happen to a cat left alone outdoors. He has no proof of anything different.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yay! good for you! She's going to be so happy! (and if he's been gone for 2 days, there is NO way he can point a finger at you, just deny deny deny and ignore him!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
You did the right thing, that is exactly what I would have done, neighbor being upset with me and all. If he asked, I would tell him that Animal Control must have picked his cat up as it was roaming the streets for days because you haven't seen it since the day after he left.

He sounds like a class act and should not be a pet owner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, he came home today around 2:00 and I was home for about 20 minutes before I left to pick my son up from school, then came right back home and was home again until 5:00 and went to my parents until 9:00 and during the time he was home, I didn't notice him outside looking for her, or calling for her, nor did he, or has he come over asking me about her....don't mean he won't, he may just think right now, that she's still wandering around the neighborhood and will be back tomorrow or so, if, I don't hear from him within a week, I would more then likely think he either resigned to she took off, or he don't care. I'm hoping I don't hear from him at all and it just blows over in a week or so.

As for the cat, she had her surgery for spay this afternoon and it went well and she is still at the vet for one more night. I talked to the lady who is paying for all this and her sister actually made her call the vet today and get the cat microchipped, because she said they weren't giving her back. So, the decision has already been made that she will stay with her new owner. She also said, that she will have paperwork when she picks her up tomorrow showing clear neglect from my neighbor and she will have the proof that the cat is hers if it's ever needed. I can guarantee he has NO proof, he's never had her at the vets....poor cat had to go around with worms and fleas ontop of no love and a warm home and now she'll have that. Also the cat was treated for her worms and fleas and I'm happy to say tested negative for feline luekemia.

As for him, playing dumb will definitely be what I do and if he does call the cops, I'm just going to be like, I have NO idea where she is, haven't seen her. Don't think theres anyway he can prove it was me....I was careful when I took her out to my car, made sure noone was outside and hid her in a bag until I got down my street and I would think if anyone had seen anything, someone would of said something, or told him by now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do what I did.....

I cat-nap Blackie because his owners never fed him, and he used to go my house hungry and thirsty all the time. He was always outside, and would spent hours, and days at my house and they never looked for him. Therefore, when I moved I took Blackie with me because I knew he would of have died there. I am glad I did because he is mommy's boy lol. Not to mention that it took us 3 days to move, and my other neighbor said that when he saw us leaving in the u-haul truck he was running behind it thinking that we had left him behind :(.....So forget that neglectful owner, and give that kitty a loving home. Pretend you don't know what happened to the cat...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awe, glad you rescued him as well and that's sad to think about him running behind the u-haul.

As for "his" cat, I did what I thought was best for her....from taking care of her and Jackson the past two months, I certainly fell in love and got attached to both of them....they both mean the world to me and I just couldn't stand to see either of them outside freezing, not being loved, not getting attention, only when I gave it to them, when they were both already abandoned by previous owners and both were sweet, amazing cats, despite the treatment they've had in the past....therefore they both deserved great homes which I made sure they both got.

I'm still worried of course, probably will be for a few days to a week, until I feel sure he's moved on, but, I know I did the right thing for her and I will never regret giving an amazing, sweet cat the home she deserves and a 2nd chance and in her case a 3rd chance to see that there is someone out there that will give her the love she needs and deserves.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Moe Moe

So, Moe was picked up from the vet today and is at her new home resting. I will be calling to check on her again Monday.

As for the neighbor, he was home all day today and so was I and he didn't once come over to ask me if I seen her or had her, but, somehow I'm still nervous, even though it is unusual for Moe to be missing for even one day, she never went any further then his yard or mine, I'm still wondering if he just thinks she's out and about and will come back, or maybe he does think I have her and will let her back out. I'm just hoping he don't start putting up flyers and going around the neighborhood asking if anyone has seen her. I mean, noone will have seen her, she's in a totally different part of town and only I and her new owners know where she is. It just blows my mind that, he in all reality, hasn't see her since Wednesday, beings he was gone Wednesday and Thursday night and as far as I can see, hasn't even looked for her, or asked anyone about her.

I hope the knots in my stomache and the stress and worry go away soon. It's causing me to not sleep and not eat and just be completely on edge. I know I did the right thing for her and I will never regret my decision to make sure she has the life she deserves and I certainly do NOT plan on giving her back. I just hope sometime soon, my jitters calm down and go away.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
You did the right thing, from your description of this guy I don't thing he'll come to you and ask about the cat but if he does play dumb and turn the tables on him.
You left your cat to fend for itself for 2 days and now your asking me where it is, it probably ran off and found itself a new home with someone who cares.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only reason I am so worried is because the lady who took her had tried to get her about a month ago when she took in all of Moe's kittens because he was going to dump them at the pound and he snatched her right up and was all like, no, I'm keeping her, she stays and he wouldn't put her back down until the lady left. But, I could never understand why he wanted her, he told me from day one, that he had and has never let her in his house, as far as I seen, he never petted her or paid attention to her. When I did get to go in his garage, back when she had the kittens, he had maybe a handful or two of food thrown on a dirty table, not in a bowl, a dirty table and I don't recall seeing water out. I went over there repeatedly to try and get him to get her spayed and to take better care of her, to no avail and then, he finally decided to stop talking to me all together.

I figured he'd be over today for sure, because he is normally back and forth from his house to his next door neighbors on Saturdays and Sundays and Moe is normally around when he is, so, I thought for sure he'd finally notice she wasn't around.

Yes, I will definitely play dumb, if he asks me if I have her, I was going to say, no, why? And if he said because I haven't seen her and she comes over here alot, then I was going to say, well, I haven't seen her in days, I thought maybe you let her inside the house because of how cold it's been lately and I won't be lying when I say, no, nor will I be lying if I say I haven't seen her in days and that maybe she got scared due to him being gone and ran off and someone saw her and took her in.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I hope the knots in my stomache and the stress and worry go away soon. It's causing me to not sleep and not eat and just be completely on edge. I know I did the right thing for her and I will never regret my decision to make sure she has the life she deserves and I certainly do NOT plan on giving her back. I just hope sometime soon, my jitters calm down and go away.
They will in no time! :patback Just try and be calmed. You're hurting yourself by being so nervous. I understand you completely, but hey, worst case scenario he goes to your place asking nonsense, but you have all the act rehearsed in your head don't you?
And IF that happens, that will be the end of it, you tell him WHAT? YOU LOST HER? and that's it.

Just think of the wonderful person you are, and the opportunity you have given to this kitty. She'll have a happy, normal life now! Deep breaths and say to yourself I did the right thing! and you have all our support here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks and I will definitely try and calm down, I'm making myself a wreck over the situation.

Haha, yes, I have definitely been going over and over in my head what to say if he does show up on my doorstep....I figured if he hasn't by a week, then he probably won't and I'm hoping by Thanksgiving, I can enjoy the day with my family and not still be a nervous wreck over it and enjoy the fact that the two cats that I love with all my heart finally have good, indoor homes. Moe right now is in a cage with a heated blanket at her new home.....she's only in the cage due to just being spayed yesterday and the lady has Moe's kittens.....yes, she got attached to them and decided to keep them and she has a few other cats, so she don't want her to get her stitches ripped, plus she wants Moe to just rest and take it easy for a few days...she said once she's recovered fully, she will gradually re-introuduce her to her kittens and hopefully be able to put her with them.

And yes, that would be good to say, I mean, I definitely have to show concern that she's missing, beings he does know how much I cared about her. I did hide the litter pan and litter, don't want any traces that I had her in my apartment at all. Still debating on the food, he knew I fed her outside and so, I mean if he sees I just bought food, it'll show that I planned on continuing to feed her, so why would I make her disappear if I just bought her food?

And thanks for all the support!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts