Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
It's touch-n-go ...
Two of the kitts have had abcesses I've been treating and the littlest kitty never appeared to be improving so I took her to the vet today.

She did not have an infection or an abcess.
She had a WORM in her neck called *cuterebriasis*, it was about an inch and a quarter in length and I KID YOU NOT ... it was as thick around as my little finger!
8O
Tomorrow I'll try to catch the other kitt and bring it to the vet to see if it has a worm that needs to be removed. I was given enough meds to treat both kitts and de-worm the entire family.

I'll be keeping the Little One inside until she recovers ... and it is possible that she may become a permanant addition.
She is wobble-y on her feet but *loves* for me to pet/scrubble her back and shoulders. She purrs and makes biscuits while trying to press her back up and into my hand. Quite a change from the kitten who would run from me because I was going to give her a squirt of nasty-meds.

I didn't have a large enough syringe to feed her so I cut up an old, tiny soft-tip spatula and tried shoveling in a bit each time she mewed … but that didn’t work well at all. What did work was spilling some on the inside of her foreleg and she would lick it off! She didn’t eat much, but it was something. We did a hot-washcloth wash (and I hot-compressed her cheek with the towel) and dry then I gave her some more sub-q fluids. She can go w/out food, but she must have fluids. I warm up the line in a heating pad so it goes in warm and not cold.

And here are some …. PICTURES!!!!!

Yeah, we made a mess of my jammies, but I didn’t mind.
Then she was making biscuits and ‘holding’ my finger.

Bath-time and the wobble:

…and The Best Thing Evah, SNUGGLES!

May we have some purr-ayers, please?
My vets are afraid the neurological issues indicate brain damage.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Poor little thing!! Cali was trying to lick my computer monitor, so she's sending healing kisses!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm hope she's feeling better soon, and I hope your vet's fears about brain damage don't materialize. Sending good wishes your way.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I took the 2nd kitt to the vet today w/ the 1st one. 2nd kitt (the only boy) was fat, sassy and playful. They said his worm had already come out and the exit wound looked good, like it was healing from the inside out and wouldn't give him any problems. I kept him in the carrier all day w/ 1st kitt, to give that wound opening time to dry out, and took him back to the barn this evening.

That is a FIRST, btw ... the first time I've ever brought a kitten IN and then carried it back OUT. I feel *awful* but I know I shouldn't; what I am doing for them is better than doing nothing, and doing what I am able to do won't give me too much of a hardship, so I'm okay w/ doing it.

The first kitten isn't progressing the way I'd like and the vet is still very concerned about her. She's still wobble-y, doesn't appear to be improving and will not eat on her own. Force feeding is slow/messy and I'm going to a different pharmacy tomorrow (my own didn't have large enough syringes) or I'll pick some up at the farm/ranch store.

*sigh*
I would dearly love to place these guys into other homes but I have a plan in place that won't break me. Next week, the mom-cat and the tom-cat will be spayed/neutered. That will run about $160. ALSO ... mom-cat is in season right now, so that means she isn't pregnant NOW. Whew! Then in a month I'll take in two of the kittens (they'll be about 3mo old) and get them done and 2wks (next paycheck) later I'll get the other two done.

I don't know WHAT it is .... but today all of the kittens decided I am awesome and have finally accepted me. I was able to gender-ID them and there are 3 girls and one boy. The 2nd kitt to the vet is the boy. When I set him down on the hay-floor, he got a wicked case of The Zoomies and ran back/forth, back/forth while his mother and sisters watched him like he'd lost his mind! I'd say he had some pent up energy!

More purr-ayers for the first kitty-girl. My vet reiterated her fears about brain damage at the appointment today. She is also running a temp, at 104*.
Meds.
Food.
Hydration.
Love.
I hope it works.

Marie? Will you please help me w/ the text font/size? It is doing something funky and I don't know what I did to make it come out like this. I copy/pasted from a Word document, but there were no text changes in that original, so I don't know why this is being weird.
Thanks,
h

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
As you say, meds, food, hydration and most importantly love. I hope it works too. And the kitties are right...you are awesome in everything you do for them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
What a sweet kitten. Reminds me of my first cat. I bought a fairly large plastic syringe at a one of the pet supply places like petco. or usually my vet would just give me one. (had to force feed Sophie at times).

You are an angel!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Just wondering if kitty's neurological condition is as result of the worm or a birthing trauma, did vet give any idea? How do they get this worm, is it the larva of some type of fly? Hope kitty progresses to being able to eat on her own and isn't so "wobbly".

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the worm is similar to a bot-fly thing. The paperwork my vet gave me said it is a tiny parasite that is picked up near the dens and burrows of small mammals. The larvae enter the animal near-microscopic in size and migrate near the skin so they can create an easy breathing hole. When it matures it drops out of its' host and continues its' life-cycle to become a fly who will lay eggs near small mammal burrows and dens.

As for the neurological issues, I did not notice these issues until I caught her to bring her in. Prior to that, she moved around just fine. My vet says it is possible one/some of these microscopic larvae have migrated to her brain and caused this issue. She could have been struck by the horse, but the vet felt if she had been brain injured by the horse there would be obvious signs of such and there were none.

GOOD NEWS!!!!!
I bought KMR and syringed it to the kitt. I had to scruff her at first but after she realized the dropper was TASTY and NOT medicine, she went-to-town! She ate EVERYTHING in the little bowl I used to syringe the liquid up from and when I held the bowl to her and she tried to lick it clean. Each meal is getting bigger and bigger. She isn't coordinated to lap it up from a bowl but I use my hand to steady her head and she can lick it from the syringe very well.

She is more active, more vocal and her eyes are brighter. She still wobbles, though I notice she mostly only falls over if she changes her head position quickly or if she looks up too steeply, like when I'm standing over her. I try to get down on the floor to her level so it doesn't cause her any issues trying to look at me.

I'm still hoping those symptoms will decrease over time. I feel like she seems marginally better, but again, I don't know if that is just wishful thinking on my part or not. A few more days will let me know for sure how she is progressing and she sees the vet again on Tuesday.
h =^..^=

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
That's "good news" indeed. It sounds like kitty may be able to eat on her own after all as she gains more strength.

Never had to deal with those worms...I did look up a website and they look pretty ghastly, and good to know that one should never try to remove the worm oneself, but have a vet do it.

Cuterebra in Dogs, Cats, and Ferrets

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wonderful to hear the good news on the kitten! With her being wobbly when looking up or moving head suddenly, it almost sounds like an inner ear problem. Hope it all clears up fast. :)

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know, I wondered about an inner ear issue. She falls over when she shakes her head, but she isn't obsessed about shaking her head or having her ears handled ... so I'm not sure. Vet gave us panacur (de-wormer) and BioMox (antibiotic) so both of those should cover a wide range of possible issues.

More improvement to report!
She progressed from needing head support to being able to lap KMR from the bowl as I held it while I sort of 'steadied' her body. Even MORE progress this evening when she went nutz for some dry kitten kibble and then canned food ... all while standing on her own! She also ran around-and-around me but would jump/hop over my foot and could land w/out falling over.

(longer version w/ details)
The spoon/canned feedings weren't going well at all, so I had purchased KMR on the recommendation of my vet and syringe-fed the kitty. She sucked it down! She had a couple good meals yesterday and this morning ... she ate DOUBLE in her first meal AND double for her second meal, too. This afternoon and evening I offered her some small kibble dry kitten food and she ate on her own (standing w/out help from me) and then I brought her a tablespoon of canned food that she wolfed down.
I am VERY HAPPY that she has progressed to eating on her own!
She's still wobble-y but when I go to visit with her, she walks very quickly around and around me. I suspect the circling is still a neurological symptom but the staggering is not as severe as it was and she falls over only a few times, usually when I am still standing and she is looking up to catch my attention. She even stepped into the litterbox twice on her own, scratched, peed and buried. She pooped last night while in the carrier and required a bath this morning which she took amazingly well in the sink. I set her on a heating pad to keep her warm while I towel-rubbed and blew-dry her fur.
Her mother and siblings are doing great down at the barn. The kitts run to me with tails in the air!
All-in-all, I had a great Thanksgiving Day.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I wonder if the little girl is hypoglycemic (common -- and often lethal -- in kittens who have had poor nutrition and parasites). The brain doesn't store glucose to use later, like other organs in the body, so low glucose levels affect the brain first, causing unusual behaviors. Symptoms are often: shaking and shivering, uncoordination and staggering, weakness and lethargy, head tilt, and disorientation including walking in circles or yowling. Some corn syrup could do her a lot of good; wouldn't hurt to try it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts