Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm really worried about my new kitten and 2 cats and could use some advice!

I have 2 cats aged 4 & 5 that I have had since they were kittens.

They got their first few rounds of vaccines but haven't had any since 2008 after my one cat had to have surgery to remove a lump caused by the vaccine. At the time the vet told us he thought it was cancer so it was pretty devastating so we decided to stop vaccinating. It ended up she was ok!

We recently got a 12 week old kitten that has an upper respitory infection. She has been on anti biotics for 2 weeks and still sounds bad. She sounds better but her nose sounds really congested and she makes noise all the time.

The cats have not made any contact yet.

We keep the kitten seperated.

And I know even if she does feel better she will always be a carrier of the infection.

What should I do? I'm really worried my 2 cats are going to get sick as well and that my kitten is unhealthy

Any advice appreciated

· Registered
714 Posts
Upper respiratory infections are very common in cats, don't assume that she is unhealthy. Have you called the vets to give them an update on the kitten? When we adopted Banjo, he had been through about 3 rounds of antibiotics while he was in the shelters, the poor guy. Since we brought him home he has been in perfect health. In a shelter pretty much every cat has some type of URI.

Keep the kitten seperated until she is no longer showing symptoms or otherwise advised by the vet. And if you want to help her to feel better, put her in the bathroom and run a hot shower. The steam should help to loosen up her congestion.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice. We have been running a cool mist in her room.

She had her 2nd appointment today. The vet said the antibiotics should of worked and she thinks she may have a polyp in her throat. She said she can feel something :(

I'm worried!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.