Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice one of my cats was not doing well this evening. It appeared in my living room laying on its belly mewling piteously.

Of course I walked over to it and picked it up very carefully. I noted it was cold, and too weak to stand.

I immediately put it in a cat carrier with a hot water bottle and drove it to the only non profit emergency vetrinary clinic in Portland Oregon about a ten minute drive. The decision was made to go there as no other vet in town was open at the time and the clinic in question had a good reputation.

Upon arriving The cat was whisked away into a back room and a vet, or at least a technician, explained to me that the cat was critical, They did not know the nature of the malady, and that sufficient measures would be undertaken to stabilize my pet's condition, and tests would be conducted to determine the problem. so further treatment could be undertaken.

I was not allowed to see my cat but was convinced it was inthe best possible hands. I went home, after ppaying a $600.00 deposit, with instructions to call them two hours later.

I fully realized that my cat might not pull through but felt it was being given a fighting chance at tecovering from whatever was ailing it.

After about an hour and fifteen minutes I recieved a call stating that my cat had gone into arrest and the prognosis was not good. I made the decision to let her go as I did not want her to suffer needlessly, and told the vet I was on my way to settle up any bills and pick up my pet.

When I arrived I received the standard condolences and a greif workbook :-|

When I recieved the statement I ws only charged $144.00 for the initial exam, CPR (non open) and no reference to any kind of treatment was. given. Upon asking I learned, with a shrug of the shoulderson the part of the technician behind the counter, that no treatment was administered.
Apparently my cat was just put aside for over an hour and allowed to die.

For this I paid $144.00 out of a $600.00 deposit.

Do not misinterpret this I loved my pet and feel bad about her loss however, I had the presence of mind to look at the statement of charges and learned that My confidence in these people was totally misplaced after asking a couple of simple questions.

In short this bites! I am not pleased.

It would have been one thing if the cat had passed despite treatment but as far as I can determine, from talking to the staff there and looking over the paperwork, none was given.

I intend to talk with my vet about this and make arrangements with them to seek an alternate scource in such an emergency ever arises again.

I am flabberghasted and very disallusioned.

Sam K

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That is so sad, to think they might have been able to save your cat and did nothing is awful. And the fact that you had to PAY them for doing nothing makes it even worse.

So sorry to hear about your loss. :cry:

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. :(
I have never had to bring a critically ill cat to the vet, so I don't know what commom protocol is in this situation. But I am every surprised you were not allowed to stay with your cat when you brought him in. A lot of us consider our cat a member of our family, we certainly would not want any family members taken away from us at this time of need. How upsetting this must have been.
It certainly doesn't sound like all was done to try and help your cat. That you both lost your pet and now have a large bill is disgusting. I think you have very right to be upset.
Again, my sympathies.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
lack of care

I am very sorry to hear about your kitty's death and your bad experience.

If you would like to pursue this matter, you should request a copy of the record from the clinic and send it, with a letter stating just what you said to us, to the state veterinary board. They are the ones who deal with standard of practice issues. I can assure you, there's nothing that will get a vet's adrenaline going like getting a letter from the state board. Even if the board eventually takes no action (unfortunately the most likely outcome), at least these folks will know that their actions (or inactions) have not gone unnoticed.

For a great source of info on veterinary malpractice, see guidelines at http://www.aldf.org/packets.asp?sect=resources.

·
Registered
181 Posts
:evil:

I am too angry to reply without a string of obscenaties!

Suffice to say, I'd sue! Malpractice! Lack of treatment! Negligence! Emotional Distress to you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts