Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a repairman come and look at my stove today because it wasnt heating consistantly to the right temperature. If you would set it for 350 sometimes you might get 350 but usually something way off like 275 or 400. Anyway my cat georgia is really curious so of course when he put his tool box down and got on the ground she went by him. I was not right in the room because our kitchen is so small, but i heard her in there. I asked if she was in the way because she tends to be curious and gets in the way all the time. This guys response to my question was "don't worry I know how to back hand them." WHAT?! who in their right mind would even mention hitting someone elses animal! I walked in there and picked her up and put her in the bedroom. I felt like telling him I would back hand him if he ever hurt an animal, but decided it would be better to just let him do his work and get out of my house. I was so mad and feel bad because he later told me he has 2 cats who he probably backhands all the time. :? Needless to say, I will not be using that company ever again, even if our stove is working perfectly now!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If he is the owner of his company, not much you can do now, except never call them again. If he is an employee, e-mail them a copy of this post. Let them know that you found his words offensive.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Did he seriously mean back-hand as hitting them?

My sister says she "kicks" my parents' dog out of her way, but what she really means is that she pushes the dog out of the way with her foot.

I'm thinking he could mean that brushes cats out of the way with the back of his hand. I often shoo my boys off by putting the back of my hand towards them and waving my fingers in their direction, and if they don't stop, I push them with the back of my hand.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
He may have been kidding (which I suspect) but i wasn't funny at all. I would have locked up my cat as well. I would absolutely contact the company and let them know what he said.

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
I think he must have been joking. If he had said that to me, I would have responded with something equally as sarcastic, like my usual response to threats, "You'd better enjoy it, because it'll be the last thing you do."

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rae, Krissy, and Marie all have valid points. I hope deep down that he was joking or just didn't articulate what he was trying to say well.

My father used to joke all the time about how he would beat his dogs and how stupid they were. He did occasionally hit them, which always caused a major argument between us, but he never thoroughly beat them like he jokes. I don't find it funny at all and don't hide my feelings. Even when I was a child, before I really knew anything about animals, I knew that hitting them surely wasn't right. I was mercilessly criticized as being the family 'animal activist and tree hugger'. They would publicly humiliate me in front of their friends. One time I yelled at him for hitting the dog. The whole family turned on me and drove me out of the room when they were done belittling me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rae, Krissy, and Marie all have valid points. I hope deep down that he was joking or just didn't articulate what he was trying to say well.

My father used to joke all the time about how he would beat his dogs and how stupid they were. He did occasionally hit them, which always caused a major argument between us, but he never thoroughly beat them like he jokes. I don't find it funny at all and don't hide my feelings. Even when I was a child, before I really knew anything about animals, I knew that hitting them surely wasn't right. I was mercilessly criticized as being the family 'animal activist and tree hugger'. They would publicly humiliate me in front of their friends. One time I yelled at him for hitting the dog. The whole family turned on me and drove me out of the room when they were done belittling me.
Just want to clarify that I do think that hitting is beating. However he would joke about them being beat to the point that they couldn't move or hardly function, or even sometimes joke about killing them for misbehaving :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He laughed when he said it and my impression from his body language and facial expression is that he was serious about hitting a cat. He also said it kind of ganster (if that makes sense), as if it was cool to hit a cat when they are misbehaving. I think it was one of those I'm joking but not really. I would not go as far as saying I thought he was going to beat the crap out of georgia, but the way he said it and his body language indicated to me that he has no problem hitting a cat if they are doing something he didnt think they should be doing! Even if he didnt truely mean it, it was in poor taste to say something like that to someone you met 5 min before and know nothing about!

I am definetly calling tomorrow and complaining that his remark was offesnive, but who knows if anything will happen. I know he is not the owner of the company, but it is a small company so he may be the owners brother or best friend or some other close relation where nothing will happen. I really hope he doesnt hit his poor kitties!

MowMow, like you said i locked her up because i would rather have her mad at me the rest of the day (as she is now) then to have some stranger hit her and then be fearful of new people who come over!

·
Registered
293 Posts
You know, I'm one of those people who often have a delayed reaction to the things people say and do. Then I think about it for awhile and soon start stewing about it and then I blow. But it's quite frustrating when the person you want to blast is out of range.

Any way, after thinking about it, I would have____________fill in the blank. It's easy to say what we would have done after the fact.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Katieb509, you mentioned you weren't in the room and couldn't see if the cat was in the service man's way, which is why you asked him about her, so it may be possible he could actually have been petting the cat when he made his reply. And considering that he had done nothing scary to the kitty when you went in to pick her up and that he later said he had two cats of his own, I'm kinda inclined (without being there, of course) to think he really was joking.

He'd be a right fool to say that to a customer if he meant it, you know?

Either way, you've been terrifically stressed by this man, and for that I'm sorry. <<<hugs!>>>

AC

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My SO used to always joke about making MowMow 'wall pizza' when I'd complain about something he had done (knocking a glass over, stepping on keyboard, etc..) I pointedly ignored the joke the first few times he said it and finally I had to tell him it was neither funny nor attractive to me and if I had to choose between then MowMow would always be the clear winner...he stopped making that joke quick.

Now, on occasion when REALLY annoyed I've been known to threaten MowMow with 'a beating about the head and neck with a baseball bat'....but :p I'm pretty sure Mow knows I'm bluffing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think we all say things like that, to our pets and our children. I tell the dog I'm going to "beat him" all the time but that dog has seldom even felt the palm of my hand on his big butt much less suffered a beating. But I'm very sensitive about my cats. I don't even like people to push them off their laps when their in my home. I think it's rude and it hurts the cat's feelings. After all, if they choose to be in your lap then it means you're special and one should take it as a compliment and if you can't take the compliment, then I don't want you in my house. Well that's how I FEEL about it anyway. Most often if I see a person is not appreciative, I take the cat off their lap myself to avoid them being rudely pushed off. Not everyone likes cat hair on their clothes. People can be very petty that way, lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Auntie Crazy,

Thanks for the hugs! It did get me worked up this morning but Im much better now. If he only inteded it as a joke it was in poor taste, but my hunch is he was slightly serious at least in the fact that he probably over does the discipline of his own cats. I don't mind when someone I know makes a joke like that because I can tell they are joking, but its not ok for someone I've only known for 5min to say something like that. I am still going to complain tomorrow afternoon when I get a break at work. This all goes back to a horse I use to own named sadie. I had to put down a few years ago because of a disease called EPM. She was abused before I got her. SHe was a lovely horse dispite her issues from the abuse. (she was skiddish and it took her 3 years to trust me at a normal horse/rider level and another 3 after that to fully trust me. The experience of rehabing a highly abused animal has made me hyper sensitive to animal abuse. The sad part is Sadie would have probably been a national level dressage horse, had someone not messed her up and beat her before I got her. She had it all, but her brain was too messed up to go outside of some local shows that were close. When we tried to trailor her more then about an hour away she would get too nervous. Even after 4 years of work, she would only do well if my trainer or I was on her. If I put anyone else, with the exception of children under the age of 10 she would get really nervous and flightly. She was great though because the worst she would do is get faster, and she would slow down if the person asked, but would always prance and never walk. Even with being physically abused for a few years, she still didnt want to hurt a human and she never threw anyone or kicked anyone. Heck I never even remember seeing her kick at another horse which is rare! Its amazing the love that abused animals will give back despite their terrible past!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts