Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The feral cat that lives across the street for most part, has had kittens in the garden around the patio in the back of our house. And it's fixing to rain, and the problem is it floods bad in the garden... Shes too scared of humans to let me help her with anything. I built a little house type box all covered with a table and plastic with food all around it, just in case when it starts raining she'll go to it. But now she's singled one kitten out, and she wont take it with the others... I'm worried a possom or some other animal might get it.. I'm constantly checking. But I want to ask If i put her in my pet waggon box, and put the kittens in the box that has a cover in it and such with gloves on. Would she run away off into the woods and leave them all you think?? :cry: :? :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now she has three separated cause their sleeping with the original separated one... :( what should i do at the moment? I know in the long run if she leaves them or keeps it up i might have to take them all from her to keep her from killing them like she has other litters by carrying them to stupid places like the one she's in now... And I'll have to bottle feed them all and such till I can find nice homes for them and have all their stuff done up in the vet as well.... :?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would definitely take the kittens somewhere safe to protect them from the storm. If you can, try to urge the mother to trust you first by offering some food to her. I'm sure she's hungry. It'd be good if you can get all of them safe instead of just the kittens.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If the mother has a history of abandoning her litter, then yes, maybe. usually cats are very territorial, and wont leave their young, but you never know. ide say do whatever u can to rescue these cats. good luck, and i hope u can get some better answers from others who are more experienced with this :(

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Normally, a mother cat will abandon only a defective kitten. With gloves on-sounds like a good idea--put all of the kittens in your little shelter and put good canned food in a sheltered area to tempt mother, as suggested. Keep supplying her with food in that area. If mother cat keeps pushing out the same kitten, take it in the house and care for it. However, if it becomes obvious that this kitten is braindamaged or has a problem that would make quality of life impossible, take the kitten to the vet. Better that it be put to sleep than starve to death. Of course, there is a possiblity that it will be fine. Please let us know!

I took a very tiny kitten away from my Siamese queen's litter, and gave her the best chance possible, but as she became older I realized she could move only in circles. There was a problem at birth or before, I believe, and she couldn't compete with the other kittens. She had to be put to sleep, but I'm glad I made sure she had every chance possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did all the above mentionings. It rained during the night and during the morning, and she is and still is no where to be found nor her kittens.. She took them all with her. I've searched to make sure their alright, but no sign of them. :? :cry: I hope there ok...

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
That's a shame. I was so hoping she'd accept the shelter you made! She will probably continue to come for food. Once she trusts you, she might bring the kittens, and if not, she'll lead them to the food when they are old enough to eat from a dish. I hope she has found a nice shelter. Cats are good mothers, and hate to get wet. But mother cat likes to choose her own bed. Perhaps yours is too close to the house. Please let us know if she comes back. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I was in the same situation as you 2 days ago ..I have found a litter of kitties (3-very very small ) in the trunk of a tree! The mom - Fuzzy is one of the wildest around ...and they were fine in there untill it started raining. I managed to make her move away from the tree by luring her with canned food as usual. I tried to cover the tree trunk but it looked like it was going to get damper and damper. It was time to move fast. SO I went quickly in the house grabbed a large towel and took the babies in the garage and layed them on an armchair. She went back to the tree after the rain settled down and couldn't find them .After trying to call her numerous times showing her the babies without any luck of her noticing them (I know it is pointless because she would only recoknize them smells and sounds but had to try) I finally decided to lay the kitties in the towel in the middle of the garage floor and me stepping away. She was so happy to have found them after a while - her voice was full of joy. I was relieved that even with the little touching I did she accepted them back or I would've had to play the mommy role with the medicine droppper and kitty milk. Fortunately she now settled in the garage behind a board where I secured a cozier, bigger place for her to nurse.
I am sure your kitty moved her babies to a different spot which she considers safe. I hope she will accept your help - I understand completely what you are going through.
It is so kind of you to care for her!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
II'm so glad she found her babies and has a safe, dry place to care for them, Ioana. :) I so hope that Rinkymoon soon has some good news for us! If she does the same thing you did, and the kittens call, I'm confident she'll come. It would be a rare case if she were to abandon them! Rinkymoon can keep her distance until the mother trusts her. At least she'll associate Rinkymoon with food. Rinkymoon doesn't have to try to tame her. That takes a lot of time and patience. Hopefully, she'll be able to tame the kittens!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It is true Jeanie - it is very hard to make friends with a feral cat in a very short while. Sometimes it depends on their temperament and that also combined with what kind of passed experiences they have had with other humans.
But as long as she associates you with food they will come back and stick around. I hope Rinky Moon won't be so stresed and be able to protect her :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts