Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like such an idiot! Misty is on Clavamox twice daily (will finish Sun.) for a kidney infection and just started methimazole liquid (2.50 mg once daily) on Monday for hyperthyroidism.

I have been so stressed out, as I have been battling a health condition myself for the past 2 years, that I accidently gave her two doses of methimazole liquid yesterday. I didn't even realize it until the middle of the night. I woke up and it just hit me! Misty seems fine, but I was just supposed to give AM dose only. I plan to skip the AM dose today. Should I give her a PM dose today and keep her on the PM schedule or just re-start methimazole tomorrow? It is imossible to give 1.25 mg twice daily with liquid. I did ask to try pills...vet said she usually gives liquid to cats, but will get a few so I can try.

Vet is only keeping her on the 2.5 mg dosage for 2 weeks before re-testing and then ramping up. I think she will be getting 2.5 mg twice daily then.

If I skip today altogether, will it affect T4 test given in 2 weeks from the initial start date?

I am so grateful for all the help here. I feel totally lost, depressed, and losing all hope.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Jen,

Relax. Misty will be just fine. One additional 2.5 mg dose isn't going to do any harm. Go ahead and give her another dose this morning (don't skip a day and don't switch her to nightime dosing if you're only dosing her once daily). This is NOT a big deal. Really, it's not.

As far as pills are concerned, any pharmacy should have the methimazole you need. Just ask your vet to call in a prescription to the pharmacy of your choice. No need to wait for your vet to order pills for her own clinic.

Take a deep breath, eat a piece of dark chocolate, and repeat after me ...

no biggie ... no biggie ... no biggie ...

Laurie

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Laurie.

I checked with the vet and she said skip dose today since I should dose mornings and restart tomorrow...no big deal since we are just getting started. She also said the extra dose was so small it didn't hurt her.

I did get pills to try...think that will work better.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I think you might find that the pills are easier, esp. if Misty will eat Pill Pockets. Did you get Pill Pockets, as well? If so, start by giving her one or two as treats without meds in them this evening. Tomorrow morning, cut one of the pills (I assume these are 5 mg pills) into quarters, then cut a Pill Pocket in half, and smoosh the 1/4 pill inside the 1/2 Pill Pocket. Then nonchalantly drop it on the floor in front of Misty and see what she does. With any luck, she'll snarf it right down on her own.

I hope the pills work for you, because that way you'll be able to give her 1.25 mg twice daily to keep her T4 more even through each 24 hr period.

Laurie

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I don't have the pill pockets yet. I live in a small town with basically nothing but Wal-Mart. It will be Friday before I get the pockets.

The vet said give 1/2 pill once a day. Good idea about giving 1.25 mg twice a day....pieces will be really small. Think I will go ahead and give 1.25 mg tonight.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Laurie,

I took your advice and gave Misty 1/4 pill tonight, so I can get her back on the med. I do have 5 mg pills and 1/4 is very tiny, almost too tiny....hope she truly swallowed it. I followed it with a syringe of water.

I like giving the pills better than liquid. I can't wait to try the pill pockets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts