Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am new to forum. I just went to the vet because my cat was having trouble urinating. He is about 1 year and 10 months. The vet said that he had a urinary blockage and relieved it through a catheter. The vet also sent some urine samples to the lab. The lab results came back fine and the said the blockage was caused by a build up of struvite crystals and that he needs to drink more water. the vet also prescribed him Royal Canine S/O food that he now has to eat for the rest of his life.
I was looking online and the food is quite expensive! I have also heard that it is best not to keep a pet on the prescription food forever. The vet mentioned that the prescription food has a higher amount of sodium than regular pet food, is there a way we can maybe increase his sodium in his food (like adding table salt to his food) in order for him to drink more water? Are there any tips or tricks to increase his water intake?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I would just add a little water to whatever he is eating now. whether it's canned food or dry kibble. Check his poop, and if they are very dry, add a little more water to the point where they are slightly soft, but not diarrhea. All the best!

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Same advice. But if you add water to dry food, it forms bacteria quickly, so make sure he eats it right away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an outdoor cat Blacky (my avatar!), now about 18 yrs old, who had a couple of UT blockages many years ago. I started feeding him nothing but wet food, adding a little water to it because I rarely saw him drinking water. (I've never fed him prescription food.) I started seeing him at the watering hole regularly a few years ago, and now allow him a little dry food each day in addition to his wet food.

If your cat lives indoors, you might try one of those fountain things. I have one cat who drinks only from that. I had another cat who loved ice cubes in his water dish and would sit in front of the fridge several times a day, meowing loudly until we put a few cubes in his dish.

A few years ago Blacky became hyperthyroid and now takes medication for that each day. I've read that the plastic lining in canned food has been linked to hyperthyroidism in cats---not sure if that's true, though. I considered switching him over to raw food, but after making a batch and having all my cats turn their noses up at it, decided not to continue. It just seemed like too much work---although I do believe that it might be beneficial.

Along with cutting out the kibble, my vet recommended Dasuquin mixed in Blacky's wet food. It's intended for joint issues in cats and dogs, but is also thought to help prevent the development of crystals in the urine. He hasn't had another blockage since then. He's pretty spry for an old cat, so it's possible that his joints have benefited from that, too. (All my outdoor cats get the Dasuquin, because they eat together.)

Good luck with your kitty. UT blockages are painful---and can be fatal. If he has another one, getting him to the vet quickly is really important. Hope I'm not telling you stuff you already know. :oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
You definitely need to feed him some canned food every day. Add a little water to it and mash in. 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can or 1/2 of a 3 oz can per meal. Then in evening before you go to bed feed him some dry to prevent plaque buildup. I agree with you on Royal Canine - I would not keep him on this food. (I had a cat years ago with same problem and the vet told me to do this - and never ever had the problem return. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Regular dry food does not clean a cat's teeth or prevent anything. That's like telling people that eating Fritos will prevent plaque buildup, although I really wish that one was true.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! My female cat has struggled with struvite crystals for over 5 years and I have had to really educate myself after our first vet didn't realize this and treated her for UTIs for 3 years. She is indoor only and her litter box is always cleaned so it wasn't making sense. The antibiotics were not really helping and she was on prescription Royal Canin SO wer food during this time along with the dry. They also said it could just be stress and put her on prozac, which did nothing.
After finding her very lethargic one day we brought her to an emergency vet. Her crystals were so bad that she needed emergency surgery. Following the very expensive surgery she was doing a bit better but I needed to prevent this from happening again as it was a lot of trauma for the poor thing, and they are very good at hiding the immense pain of this issue.
I've discovered she has FLUTD and is prone to the crystals. She has had two flare ups in the year following her surgery but we now use the new vet only. Her surgeon even wrote to Royal Canin as the food had not helped her and we switched to the CD formula, eliminating all dry from her diet. This, and adding a bit of water to the wet food, has made a huge ddifference. She will not drink water, use the fountains, or drink any chicken broth when I tried as a last resort.
The blockages are much more severe/potentially fatal in males so it is wonderful that you made sure he was seen by your veterinarian! The prescription food is pricey, and even though it never reduced her crystals prior to the surgery, I do keep her on it. I also use Pretty Litter to check the PH levels in her urine. Both are expensive, but not more than multiple surgeries. The best advice I can give is to feed wet only and add water to each meal to get him the moisture he lacks. Best of luck with your sweet boy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts