Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I've placed my actual question in bold, so you can skip to that if you don't have time to read the whole rambling post).

My cat, Ace, has had a total of two urinary blockages. The first time, my cats were eating mostly Wellness grain free dry food, with occasional Wellness canned food.

After that, I fed the Prescription C/D for a few months. I then tried to switch him over to raw, adding grain free canned food to the raw to get him to eat it. He LOVED raw mice, but wasn't too thrilled with anything else. (My other cat, Bogey, loved raw everything else, but not mice).

Ace blocked again shortly after I stopped feeding the c/d. Since then, he's been on a combination of mostly C/D canned and some dry (used to be Natural Balance Green Pea & Chicken, now is Merrick Before Grain Chicken). I avoid feeding fish.

My other cat, Bogey, just had a urinary blockage this morning and is now at the vet's for three days. :sad After Ace blocked, Bogey was on a combination of mostly Natural Balance wet with some Natural Balance dry. Due to financial issues and the high cost of Ace's food, he was eventually switched to a combo of canned Friskees rather than the NB, and I started buying Merrick Before Grain as the dry food.

Both are neutered male cats (littermates) and will be five years old in May. Ace is a large cat, but not terribly overweight. Bogey is also large, and is very overweight (18.6 pounds). Their feeding schedule as as follows:

Morning: 1/4 cup dry
Afternoon: 1/2 can wet (Bogey); 1/3 can wet (Ace)
Night: 1/2 can wet (Bogey); 1/3 can wet (Ace)

My vet says I'm feeding them WAY too much, even though I'm already feeding much less than the can instructs. She gave me a handout on diets in cats that was pretty decent (talks about them being obligate carnivores and needing high protein, low fillers, etc.). My issue is this: I'm afraid NOT to feed the c/d canned because I don't want either cat to block again, and when I tried to transition away from it with Ace, he re-blocked.

Is it possible to successfully put both cats on a diet while still feeding the Hills Prescription c/d? Should I feed 100% c/d, or can i continue to feed occasional dry? If I can continue to feed one serving of dry per day, what kind would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Cats who have problems with urinary blockage should have NO dry kibble in their diets. NONE, NADA, ZIP!!! Feed exclusively canned and/or raw, preferably with water mixed in to improve their hydration and help keep crystals flushed out of their urinary tracts before they can clump together and cause blockages. If your boys do well on c/d (canned only), you can make that part or all of their diet, but I, personally, have never found that necessary with my own male cats who have blocked in the past.

Water, and lots of it, is the key to urinary tract health. Put more water bowls around your house, and keep the water in them very fresh. Add a water fountain, if your boys like running water. And mix water into their canned food to create "canned food soup" that they can lap up.

Take the extra weight off of your boys. Obesity can definitely contribute to urinary problems. Weight loss should occur slowly and steadily to protect the liver. Rapid weight loss can be very dangerous in cats.

Laurie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick response!

I feel just terrible because I thought I was feeding him LESS than I should and couldn't figure out why he was still so heavy. Turns out, it's just yet another nasty trick by pet food manufacturers (inappropriate feeding guides).

I think I'll just cut out the dry and feed Bogey 1 can per day (cut into 3 servings) and then drop him down to 3/4 of a can per day after he gets used to that. I'll just drop Ace down to 3/4 of a can per day now. Does that sound okay?

Both cats actually do drink quite a bit of water. There are several bowls throughout the house (they share the upstairs ones with the dogs and don't seem to mind). I'll probably get a water fountain because, if nothing else, Ace will enjoy playing in it. :)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I'm glad to hear that! I've also found that adding extra water to the wet food helps them out a lot. I add hot water from the tap and then stir the food about so it's kind of like porrige consistancy.

The other thing I'd suggest is a different brand of canned food. Something with no grains like Wellness CORE, or EVO.

Cat's aren't built to digest grains and IME grain free food also helps calm down the cat's whole system, which can help reduce and UTIs. Check out the stickies at the top of the forum for more info.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other thing I'd suggest is a different brand of canned food. Something with no grains like Wellness CORE, or EVO.

Cat's aren't built to digest grains and IME grain free food also helps calm down the cat's whole system, which can help reduce and UTIs. Check out the stickies at the top of the forum for more info.
The problem is, I had them on 100% grain free and Ace blocked (the second time). He was on canned grain free, and I was also mixing in raw (mostly chicken and some mice). I wasn't feeding dry at that point in time, I only introduced that much later on.

It really, really frustrates me because I HATE Hills foods (my dogs are rawfed and I'd love it if my cats were, too) but I was so afraid of Ace blocking, and now I have to worry about Bogey, too. :(

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Personally, as much as I hate Hills/SD I would keep them on it until the threat of blockage had passed and THEN move them to a better food. They have added stuff and remved stuff in that food especially to deal with these issues.

edited to add: And I agree, no dry food ever ever ever ever with cats who have a history of blockages.

·
Banned
873 Posts
I think I'll just cut out the dry and feed Bogey 1 can per day (cut into 3 servings) and then drop him down to 3/4 of a can per day after he gets used to that. I'll just drop Ace down to 3/4 of a can per day now. Does that sound okay?
It will really be about the calories....caloric intake versus 'how much of a can" should be your focus-----and, you need to be super careful about the rate of weight loss...it must be measured and slow. Large cats, in particular, are prone to developing a serious liver disease if they lose weight too quickly. You'll get excellent guidance in this article...pay particular to the sections on implementing safe weight loss and how fast should the cat lose weight. You really should be weighing them through this process. Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat weight management, obese cat, cat weight loss

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I wasn't aware of that OP, sorry.

However in that case I have another suggestion. Switch him to full raw.

Almost 2 years ago one of my cats (who was 1 1/2 at the time) who had been raw fed from 4 months on had to be rushed to the vet because I suspected a blockage. Luckily he wasn't blocked, but he did have a horrible UTI and crystals.

I fed him his raw food mixed with large amounts of water (kind of like raw food soup...) and it helped. I didn't feed him ANY of the junky canned food they gave me, and he still improved. I later asked my vet, whom I trust, why this happened when all the articles and information I read said that raw feeding is preventative. She told me that some cats are just predisposed to issues.

I've continued to feed him raw, I make sure he gets extra water, and we do have a fountain. Muffin is 3 now, and hasn't had an issue again.

TBH the food they give you IMO doesn't actually do anything to help a raw fed cat. The canned food adds moisture, true, and the low ash content is supposed to help, but some cats are just predisposed to it.

I made the decision to keep feeding Muffin raw and just do the best I could. So far it's worked.

Raw would also help with the obesity issue. I'd give it a shot and see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts