Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cat in the last month has started to kick kitty litter out of the litter box, and now has urinated twice on my couch in the last month......how do you get the stains out of the couch? and what to do with this behavior-should i get the kittler litter that cats want to use? Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Cat Litter

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I see a possible two problems here.

First one...maybe your cat doesn't like the litter you provide. I had to go through trial-and-error with many brands before I finally had to settle on Tidy Cat...it wasn't my first choice, but it's all Rochelle will use consistently.

Secondly, have you had your kitty checked out by your vet? Cats will refuse to use the litter box if they have a UTI (urinary tract infection) because it's uncomfortable for them. My Rochelle went through this, and she ruined my carpet and a few articles of clothing by going outside her box. Once she was on the right meds, she was back to using the proper box again.

I will say that Dr. Elsey's worked for us, when I did use it. When Rochelle had her UTI, I wanted to make sure that she continued to use her box, so I used their multi-cat scoop brand in conjunction with the Cat Attract. Unfortunately, it's a little pricey to use all the time, but as a re-training aide, it's magic.

Good luck with your kitty!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I second Brianna's recommendation to rule out medical issues first. As for the stains, you can use Nature's Miracle, which removes both odors and stains.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i really don,t see a thing wrong with the cat...he uses the litter box most of the time,,,had urinated 1 month ago, and 3 days ago in the same spot....i have seen him urinate, and no signs of problems....i will try a different kitter litter

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
One of my cats will occasionally pee in the bath, if I haven't scooped the litter since the last time he went. I need to make sure I keep the litter trays clean for him. If this may be a cause for your boy doing it too, you may want to add another litter tray, or two. I have since found some litters that I can get away with scooping but a couple of years ago, I had 5 litter trays for the one cat! Each just had a piece of newspaper and a handful of litter, which I would have to change after each use. I would definitely recommend experimenting with other litters (give him a choice - set up litter trays containing different litter and see which he prefers).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
there is a product, perfect litter , that is suppose to detect uti,s...not sure if its anygood......the cat seems healthy , no visible signs of anything bad..his feeding behavior or water drinking is usual....i am converting him to wet food, which not is over 60% of his diet......i will be watching him closes for any uti symptoms
i also use clorox bleach to clean the litter box,,,just wonder if the colorox smell might have something to do with this

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i also use clorox bleach to clean the litter box,,,just wonder if the colorox smell might have something to do with this
I would use a Vinegar/water solution instead or dilute the bleach A LOT(I mean one tbsp of bleach in a LARGE spraybottle diluted).

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
If it isn't a UTI, it might be a stress reaction to some sort of change. Have you moved furniture? A new cat in the neighborhood that visits outside? (cats can even smell another outsidewith windows closed), have you visited someone who has a cat? (and got its scent on bottom of your jeans from sitting in spot where cat sits), a new person is coming frequently to visit who may have a cat or dog? Any of these things might trigger a cat to urinate inappropriately. Do try the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attact. I haven't used it personally, but quite a lot of people have had good results with it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i figured the problem out, he is marking his territory...there has been a neighbors cat outside he as seen.......i watched him today, he jumped up on the couch ,,did the smell thing after i cleaned everything up yesterday, and the smell was partitially, but not tottaly gone. i caught him in the act...he has no problem urinating

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I doubt it's territorial, since your cat is only about 6 or 7 months old and a cat's territorial instincts don't fully develop until they reach social maturity (around 2 years of age). Unaltered male cats might start spraying when they reach sexual maturity (at or around 6 months) in order to attract a female. But, I think your cat was neutered. If not, that could be the problem.

If it's not medical (which I understand isn't the case) and he's been neutered, then the problem is likely either stress related or there's some sort of issue with the box/litter. You should do what you can to fully remove the smell...otherwise, he will be attracted back to the same spot, which can start to become a habit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I doubt it's territorial, since your cat is only about 6 or 7 months old and a cat's territorial instincts don't fully develop until they reach social maturity (around 2 years of age). Unaltered male cats might start spraying when they reach sexual maturity (at or around 6 months) in order to attract a female. But, I think your cat was neutered. If not, that could be the problem.

If it's not medical (which I understand isn't the case) and he's been neutered, then the problem is likely either stress related or there's some sort of issue with the box/litter. You should do what you can to fully remove the smell...otherwise, he will be attracted back to the same spot, which can start to become a habit.
I really don,t notice a health issue, he urinates just fine, and looks great. i have stated to take him outside for a daily walk, 30 minutes to an hour with a breast harness...i notice that his hair on his tail stands up frequently, and then we are off on the 100 yd dash....i have got a new cat litter, and use enzyne cleaner to try to get rid of the smell...i also bought some stuff that i spayed on the couch....also making sure the litter box is as clean as possible...no problems today, but will see how it goes...yes , he is neutered. the other day my neighbors cat came down the sidewalk, and stop in front of rocky,,,he started making a hissing noise, so i took rocky inside....that is the day he urinated, could be that cat made him do it...

my other neighbor has a tiny dog, and i was walking rocky this afternoon, i saw her coming with her dog, and asked if it was okay for the 2 to meet..she said her dog likes cats....i was shocked, they had each others noses touching, rocky raised his paw just a bit, and then lowered it....it was like instant friends....can you believe that, dog making friends with cat..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts