Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I think for the past few weeks my cat has been urinating somewhere in the house, I know cuz I kept smelling it. Well tonight she did it right in front of us on my dogs bed! it is now in the wash on steam sanitize cycle....What is wrong with her, nothing has changed really around here, other than my daughter moving out but she didn't stay here much anyway. My husband is ready to rehome here, he doesn't care for her anyway but that is beside the point. She started the yowling at 4am about 2 months ago and now this...now I am really at wits end....anyone in the NE Alabama area need a cat?

J

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
So you never got her checked for a UTI? Any professional will tell you to get a clean (and current) bill of health before you assign any behavior issue to an animal. Behaving this way is how they tell us they are in pain.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
A good "professional" would have seen the cat in person and run tests. :(

This is a really good article:

Urinary Tract Disorders in Cats | Little Big Cat

The cat may associate the burning sensation of cystitis (bladder inflammation) with the litterbox itself, and look for another place to go where it won’t hurt. This leads to squatting in corners, in sinks or tubs, on rugs, laundry piles, or beds.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
The number one reason cats stop using the litter box is urinary issues.

I sympathise :-( Audrey has been perfectly litter trained since we got her 2 yrs ago. Then a few mths back, she started peeing in my 4 y.o daughters room- often!!! I couldnt believe it. I cleaned the area like a mad woman to get rid of the smell, but I still smell it sometimes. I kinda disagree with getting the vet check. I called so many professionals about this, and it is a behavioural problem. I finally called RSPCA because, like you, I was getting rid of her! The RSPCA lady told me so many people have this prob (inc. her!) and end up surrendering the animal, coz- (bad news coming up..... :-( ) There is no way to train a cat out of this behaviour :-( Nothing like dogs where thats concerned. She also told me that once surrendered, they will automatically euthanise kitty, coz nobody should have to adopt a kitty with a toileting behavior problem. That changed my mind, and we decided to give Audrey ONE more chance. Sorry this is SO long... Hope I helped u.
You had an unspayed female confined to the house, recipe for inappropriate peeing....I'm betting the issue went away when you let her out and/or when she got pregnant. Expect it to start again when she starts going into heat again, especially if you don't let her out...which I don't recommend, the last thing the world needs is more kittens.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
There is no way to train a cat out of this behaviour :-( .
Yes to everything Marie, Becky and Doodlebug said and bull to this. We've had many a member on here that had great success in retraining IF they followed through with instructions given.

To the OP, it is likely medical and your kitty is in pain asking you for help. Visit the vet and tell them it's innapropriate elimination. If you screw about too long imo, it has more chance of becoming habit once the medical stuff is fixed.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Argh! Gosh, dont say that!! :) We've got our fingers crossed for kittens! Already have homes in mind for them.
OR you do the responsible thing and fix your cat. Then take all those "homes" you found down to the shelter and adopt one that is going to be destroyed.

(Sorry for double post)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be taking her to the vet, I don't know how I am going to get her there since I have to be at work at 11....I may try to see if my daughter won't take her....I was kidding about rehoming her. This cat was a stray my daughter found about 5 years ago. My rat terrier (willow) is so used to her being around to have something to chase, I think she would actually miss her if she were gone. If I didn't give her up, it would not be to a pound, it would be to someone that wanted her and would be good to her. Just because I am about to choke her out over the last couple months doesn't mean I am going to the SPCA with her. That being said, I checked her litter box this morning and she peed in it and pooped. and that has been since 1am last night and it is now 9am. Between the hairballs causing her to puke all the time and the peeing, and the yowling....shoot me

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Theres a thread somewhere on this forum thats called something like ''wow, cat people can be so brutal!'' I read that, and so agree. As soon as someone breeds their cat, they are spoken down to.
It gets old- real fast. Fingers crossed for healthy, goreous kittens, and a healthy happy mummy puss! Yay :)

It also gets 'old' reading about the number of cats/kttens in shelters who get put to sleep due to the overwhelming number of them with no homes.

If irresponsilbe owners didn't 'breed' housecats, maybe shelter cats would have a chance at a home too.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Between the hairballs causing her to puke all the time and the peeing, and the yowling....shoot me
For the hairballs try putting a few tsp of pureed pumpkin in her wet food (not pie filling, plain pumpkin). Anything that adds a bit of fiber (or hairball meds) will help her pass those and she'll stop throwing up.

Get her to the vet and make sure she's healthy (or fix her if she's sick) and then we can see to her inappropriate elimination.

The yowling? I dunno, was this in another post?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It also gets 'old' reading about the number of cats/kttens in shelters who get put to sleep due to the overwhelming number of them with no homes.

If irresponsilbe owners didn't 'breed' housecats, maybe shelter cats would have a chance at a home too.
This :thumb

And I am also of the opinion that when you solicit advice on a public forum, you can't always expect hugs and pats on the back. There are a lot of passionate animal lovers who work in the trenches and have seen the other side to people being irresponsible. It may sound harsh at times, but it's reality...sometimes the rosy blinders just need to come off. This is amplified by 100% when you think of what's at stake - an animal's life or your feelings...sorry, but that's a no brainer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pumpkin, really???? I never would have thought of that one. Yes the yowling was from another post, that's what made me join to forum so I could try to figure out my cat. When we first found miss kitty she had an open wound on the inside of her thigh, after about $200 and no fix for this non bacterial pediculitis ( think that is what it was called)....it finally healed itself...she is a complete wonder in herself. She is acting completely normal right now. playing with the dogs toys...my daughter is going to take her to the vet for me today. I will let you know if she is sick or if she just wants to be a drama queen...

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Theres a thread somewhere on this forum thats called something like ''wow, cat people can be so brutal!'' I read that, and so agree. As soon as someone breeds their cat, they are spoken down to.
It gets old- real fast. Fingers crossed for healthy, goreous kittens, and a healthy happy mummy puss! Yay :)
If educating you about the harsh realities of cat over population problems is brutal...then so be it. You didn't "breed" your cat...you allowed a non-pedigreed cat get impregnated by the first guy or two she met on the street. Big difference.

Yes, fingers crossed....the problem is you need to do a lot more than that to ensure healthy mom & kittens. Any idea if those males your cat mated with are FIV or FeLV positive?

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Yes, fingers crossed....the problem is you need to do a lot more than that to ensure healthy mom & kittens. Any idea if those males your cat mated with are FIV or FeLV positive?
Also the fact that instead of going to a reputable vet and having her checked for pregnancy and actively working towards her prenatal care you asked on the forum how to tell if she is pregnant really makes me question the responsibility of ownership.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Audrey's Mum- do you live in England? I'm guessing so because of your reference to the RSPCA. I wonder whether this is the reason you have received such advice from '5 professionals' about your cat's urination problems. You see, I live in England too. I also have a cat with inappropriate urination issues. I have taken her to four different vets. None of whom recommended a URI check. Not one. Does that sound like a professional doing their job properly to you?! I also took Evie to the vet more then 6 times about her diarrhea problems. NOT ONCE did a SINGLE VET out of 6 even so much as suggest that Evie might have a food intolerance. I was passed from pillar to post, and Evie was subjected to examination after examination as well as needless medication! It makes my blood boil just thinking about it. I worked out that Evie had a food intolerance having searched on this forum and spoken to some members (thank you MowMow!). So, please don't assume that the vet is the be all and end all. They often get things wrong. Believe me!

As for your kitten issue. Please don't breed your cat. Take a trip to one of the MANY cat shelters in the UK. Take a look at all the homeless, needy cats. You want to add to this problem? Also, you want to put your cat through something that you have no expertise on. There are so many things that can go wrong from conception to birth. It's your decision, but personally I think you may be being rather reckless.

Anyway, back to the urination issues. Evie has had many issues since we adopted her back in January. One of these is inappropriate urination and elimination. At one stage she was peeing and pooping anywhere BUT her litter tray. We had her checked out numerous times for medical issues. Once we got a grip of her food allergies, she greatly improved. BUT, she does still have behavioural peeing issues! If she disagrees with my OH or I and wants to show her distaste she will hop onto our bed and pee on it. Lovely, I know. I know it's not a health issue as she doesn't do it any other time. Take this week for example. I've been home most of the week (I'm a teacher, it's half term) and Evie has been fine- no peeing inappropriately. When we're both away at work, we will frequently return home to find a wet bed. Also today, to confirm my suspicions... We had the plumber round to fix the boiler. Evie had to be shut in our bedroom as she wouldn't leave the plumber alone. After five minutes I went to give Evie a cuddle... I found her on the bed, mid-pee. She just looked at me, meowed, stop weeing and hopped over to me for a cuddle. Naughty!

So, maybe your cat is showing her distaste in some way. It may be to do with your dog, seeing as it's happening on her (or his) bed? You say your dog chases your cat- this could be causing it. Your cat is getting her own back!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Miss Kitty getting chased, she brings it on herself, she likes to taunt Willow into playing with her. We went to the vet today. She has a UTI. She was given a shot and something to give her for a week. He said the yowling was probably her way of letting us know she wasn't feeling well. I had a laundry basket with towels in it and I went to get one of the towels and she has been using that to P on. NICE! I am hoping this fixes the issues we have been having the last few weeks. Willow usually ignores the cat unless she cat aggravates her to the point where she gets chased! Thanks for your advice!!

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I'm glad she's on the way to recovery :) GOod on you for taking her to the vet and getting it properly taken care of! She's very lucky to have a caring and diligent owner.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Morse gets UTI's. He also lets me know when he gets them by peeing on the dog bed. Lately if he gets one, he'll make sure I'm in the room, and go squat on the dog bed but not actually pee on. Then I call the vet. His seem to be brought on by stress, usually when I've moved, and when I brought him home from the shelter. He is an awesome shelter kitty, and we saved him from a bad, bad man. :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Miss Kitty getting chased, she brings it on herself, she likes to taunt Willow into playing with her. We went to the vet today. She has a UTI. She was given a shot and something to give her for a week. He said the yowling was probably her way of letting us know she wasn't feeling well.
So glad you decided to take kitty to the Vet....kudos to you! Glad to hear she'll soon be on the mend :wink

1 - 20 of 22 Posts