Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Is this common for a cat who returns home after having a catheter and being treated at the vet for a urinary block...

Midas (just over 1 yr) came home from the vet Friday. He walked out of the pet carrier and into the litter box. He squatted there seeming to strain for a full 3 minutes producing very little urine and a small amount of feces. He then walked to another litter box (completely clean like the first) and again squatted for at least 4 minutes with very little urine. There was a lot of licking and attention to his privates afterward.

He then ate quite a bit of Wellness wet food which I added a little water to.

He then slept for a couple hours, got up, went into one litter box (4 minutes, very little urine), and then to another (5 minutes, more urine than any time previously but still small).

Midas slept again for about 1 1/2 hours and then again went into the litter box. He was there for a good 4 minutes. I saw urine slowly drip, stop, drip, and then sometimes come out in strong spurts. This was the most he urinated although it still seemed less than a cat normally would.

Within 15 minutes of getting home and observing him in the litter boxes the first time, I called the vet. I was told just before he left there he had urinated a lot. They said to keep an eye on him and if he was still behaving the same way in the morning to call.

Is the behavior I described above normal for a cat just coming home after having a catheter for 3 days for a urinary block? I expected his urination to be perfectly fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Catheterization can leave the penis VERY sore and inflamed, and that can make urination painful until the area heals. What you're seeing is common after catheterization. HOWEVER, it's possible for a cat to reblock after catheterization, so it's critical to monitor urine output carefully and to contact your vet immediately if you have concerns about the volume of urine he's expressing. Don't hesitate to call the vet as often as necessary to make sure your cat is progressing as expected.

Laurie

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I checked in today with the vet and they said pretty much exactly what you did.

I'll feel much better when he's urinating and everything is back to normal.

Thanks again!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts