Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I read the sticky on "Solving urine problems" but my question wasn't addressed. I am in the process of cleaning up several different areas where my cat urinated and/or marked. He has gone on carpet and furniture. I'm not looking for how to treat the behavior -- we're working on that. I have a question about clean-up!

I have been using enzymatic cleaner (after having identified spots with a blacklight) and then I am convering the area in heavy duty aluminum foil and taping it down with masking tape. I don't want the cat to resoil the areas, so I am covering the areas until they are clean and dry. I worry about the spots not having adequate ventilation for drying. Am I going to be asking for a mold problem? What other methods do people use to cover the spots until they have dried and are clean? I have a dog, too -- so it needs to be something both dog and cat would be likely to leave alone. I'd love to hear what others have tried.

If anybody wants to give tips on how to clean-up the spots, that is welcome, too!

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Put a fan on it. If it's wall-to-wall carpet a fan will have to do--if it's a rug, put something under it (small stool or box) to allow for air flow and, and, again, put a fan on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
carpet cleaning

Just cleaning the carpet will not do the job. If the cat has used the location more than once the urine will have penetrated through to the padding which will be impossible to clean. I had that problem with my older cat (16). He returned to the location until we discovered the padding. The only solution that worked was to roll the carpet back, cut out the padding and replace it with new.

He liked one spot so much we just placed the litter box over that location, made us both happy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The answer is yes on the mold. I have had this happen when I cleaned up a pee spot and then covered it with a piece of furniture to prevent resoiling. When I moved the furniture again there was a molded area on the carpet. Now I completely saturate pee areas with simple solution (I prefer the smell over natures miracle), soak up the excess with towels, and the let it dry completely before putting anything on top of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts