Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: Voodoo is an 8 month old, neutered male Sphynx. He was neutered at 7 months once his adult teeth were in and he was fully developed.

He urinated outside the box when I first got him. We added another box and it *seemed* to stop. As he got a bit older it started again. We were concerned it was due to hormones, but couldn't neuter him at 6 months because of a cough (that went away after a week on carafate). It seemed to stop after neutering.

Well, it didn't. We are getting ready to move, and he has been urinating in hiding places. It is gross. Everything has been cleaned that could be cleaned, and some things have been thrown out because cleaning hasn't helped.

We did a few things:

Added another different box, and used Cat Attract litter.
BEST STUFF ON EARTH
He started using the box right away. And has continued to use the box

We went to the vet, and here's what his urine had to say. If you have any ideas on this, remedies etc. I'd love to hear them. Also, he is on raw food.

On strip at vet:
+++ White Blood Cells
++Protein
pH 8

From the urinalysis at the lab:
+++Struvite Crystals
High Concentration
NO GROWTH after 2 weeks even on his culture

So no noticeable infection causing the ^ white blood cells. He is now on cranberry extract to help acidify the urine, and I am adding water to his raw (which seems a bit silly...but i never see him drink). We are hoping we can lower the pH, and flush his system with teh ^ in H2O. Why the wbc? No idea. Could be inflammation..there could be plasma's. For now we are going to recheck urine after a few weeks of cranberry and h2O.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
188 Posts
When Boo was neutered the mobile vet lady said it could take up to 8 weeks for the hormones to completely go away.Also some cats pee when they are angry or stressed.

142 Posts
squatting to pee??? or standing w/butt to object??? My experience is that a cat who pees standing-against an object, is stressed............can be a physical issue and/or an emotioanl issue--standing to pee is a way to mark areas---------this includes both sexes of cats, BTW...............could try Feliway--may help w/anxiety---good luck.........been there, doin that..............

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Paizly has urine issues. The last couple tests have come back negative for anything indicating an infection or crystals. My vet said it could be an inflamed bladder (there's a big long medical word for it, though I have no idea what it is). Since it's not infected, just simply irritated from an unknown source, there's really nothing I can do about it.
I am adding more water (purified, just like I give her to drink) to her food (canned in the morning), and giving her a joint medicine with 2 formulas of glucosamine in it - she needs it for her arthritis, and apparently glucosamine also helps with bladder lining health. So I'll see if it helps, once she's been on it a couple weeks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The litter fixed the issue with peeing in inappropriate places. That is no longer the issue. What I'm asking advice for is similar urine test results. There is something going on, but it has yet to be pin-pointed. Vivid-Dawn, I think we're on the same track. My guess is, due him not liking the OLD litter, he held it as long as he could..making the urine more concentrated and likely to form crystals AND staying in the bladder longer causing irritation and inflammation. I'm hoping the the more frequent pottying, and cranberry as well as increased water will help the inflammation and hopefully bring his WBC down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts