Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's done it 3 times recently. 2 times on the dog bed, once on an air mattress. Both times on the dog bed, he made sure I was paying attention to him before he did it, and he squatted to pee. Do male cats EVER squat to mark?

He did this when i first got him as well. I was super worried about him cause he had diarrhea, massive sneezes and it sounded hard to breathe, and he was urinating on anything soft. I thought, he has a UTI and some other stuff. He got Clavamox from the vet for the kitty cold. The diarrhea has been chocked up to an outbreak of coccidia at the shelter. The vet told me the urine might have been from 'not knowing the rules.'

It sounds like he needs to go to the vet. I wonder if he had a UTI the first time and the clavamox cleared it up. I want to go armed with information because I don't think the squatting to pee and the waiting until i'm watching is 'not knowing the rules.' He will use his box though, so I don't know. Maybe he is marking the dog bed.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
He could be marking or trying to get your attention. It would be best to get him checked by a vet for a UTI.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
When Graybee sprayed, he always backed up to the object, raised his tail and rump, and sprayed from a standing position. When he sprayed, it was directed toward something in a vertical position like a wall, door, or piece of furniture.

The only time any of my male cats urinated outside the box in a squatting position was when they had a UTI. The vet told me they did that because they associated the litter box with discomfort or pain from the UTI.

Good luck at the vet, and I hope your kitty feels better soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on Morse:
He has Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease. I'm sure lots of other kitties have it. He was not marking, so at least it wasn't behavioral. He also had protein in his urine, but being so young we are hoping that it is somehow related to things being out of whack. We HAVE to eat wet food now, she gave me some tips to get him to eat it. We have a follow up in a month to re-check the protein. I hope its not some sort of renal disease.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Thanks for update and getting Morse to the vet so promptly. Sorry to hear he has a problem, but the hopefully you caught this in time and you and the vet can get rid of this condition. All the best!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Hopefully Morse will soon be feeling better; I'm glad he has a good cat mom like you to take care of him!

I started using a couple of cat fountains and the moving water definitely encouraged my cats to drink more water which helps to cut down on UTIs. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts