Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cat I'm about to get has urinery tract problems. I don't want to not take him cuz he's the sweetest thing ever and doesn't seem to have issues but i was wondering if anyone could explain wut it is and if they go pee all the time out of the litter box?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Has the person you are getting him from told you that he's had *past* urinary problems? I hope they don't mean that he has a urinary tract infection *right now*.

Cats that have a past history of urinary tract infections can live a normal life without recurrences. Your best bet is to feed the kitty only wet food. This keeps the urine dilute and prevents crystals from forming (the cause of some urinary problems).

He will only pee on things if he has a urinary tract infection right now. This is his signal to you that he is very sick. If your kitty starts peeing in places other than the litter box, then you must go to the vet.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
urinery tract

I never thought to ask if he has one right now because i knew nothing about it. I'll be sure to ask. All my frend told me is that he needs food that says it fights/prevents urinery tract infections.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
The vet that visits this forum (drjean) feels that urinary tract prescription food isn't as effective as getting the cat on an all wet diet. Dry food predisposes cats to urinary crystals because their urine is more concentrated.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My cat had that problem. She had blood in her urine. i noticed it when I was cleaning out her litter box one day. It looked just like red Kool Aide. Also she scatched up the plastic liner in the box because she must have been in pain when she urinated. She never peed anywhere but her box though. I took her to the vet and they had to do x-rays ($150). We found out she had a bladder stone and it was pretty big. i had fed her some kid of kibbles i think it was made by Purina up until that point. so they said we could wait to see if it would pass or she could have surgery to have it removed ($500). Well, you know when your baby is in pain you are not going to take that chance and let them suffer, so she had the surgery. After she had the surgery they were able to examine it and said it was the kind that would have eventually broken up ( i think there are two kinds - protein stones and calcium - I can't remember which is the one that breaks up easily). She is now on Waltham SO, (well it is actually called Canine something now (it's for cats)). She loves the food very much and it is easily digestable so hopefully she would not have that problem again. But she loves it so much that she has gotten really pushy around her feeding time, even worse than my dog. You have to either buy it from a vet or you have to have a prescription to buy it at Petsmart. It is really good for them, and no animal by products are in it. I hope your kitty gets better, and it could be helped by something as simple as just putting her on a highly digestable food. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh Waltham (I mean Canine ____) also makes the SO in a wet food, but i just give my cat the dry because she loves it and it is made specifically fro cats with this problem. But you can choose from the wet or dry. I will try to find a site about it and post it for you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok Waltham has changed their name to Royal Canin (I was on the right track, right? :wink: ). I tried to find the one i feed my cat online, but I didn't see it. They do have it at Petsmart and it is the Royal Canin SO for urinary tract and bladder infections. You can probably get it at a vet office near you but i found it was about $4 cheaper per bag at Petsmart than at my vet where I was originally gettting it from.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thankz!

That's great news that your kitty got better!

I'll be sure to look into Royal Canin. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, whether he's already got it or he's prone to getting it? it's beyond me :? I'm still gunna take him though cuz he's adorable :lol: , I'll just have to take good care of him! thankz bogolove for your story and advice, it's helped a lot!

·
Registered
44 Posts
bogolove, I would research that Waltham some more. Heres the first five ingredients of each type.

Canned: water,meat by-products,chicken by products,animal fat preserved with bha/bht, natural flavors 8O

The dry: chicken meal,rice,corn glutten meal,ground corn,chicken fat

I would suggest switching to an all canned diet of a premium food. I free fed Iams dry untill my 3yr. old male had a urinary blockage from crystals.
Since finding this site, and doing nutrional research on the web, I switched to an all canned food diet of Wellness, and haven't had a problem since.

Meat is an natural urine acidifier, & combined with the water content keeps the urine concentration diluted. Go to www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=publications and read through the library for more info.

Aaron

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It says in the article that it's usually triggered by stress...we haven't moved him into our home yet, he's still at my frends. I'm scared that moving homes will trigger it. any advice on that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts